The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

I will be recording some original tunes in a few weeks and I'm checking out what guitar I want to use.
    Which one do you prefer?
    Short clips blowing over one of my more Bop'ish tunes.
    Both recorded with the same amp (Yamaha THR 10) on the same settings.
    I will use another amp for the recording session(1960 Ampeg Mercury)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I prefer the Ibanez. It sounds more dynamic and articulate and would probably sit in the overall mix better if you're recording with a full band.

User Info Menu

In the recordings, I preferred the Ibanez. But if the amp turned up a bit louder, it would be a whole new comparison.
    Nice playing BTW.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 03-26-2021 at 08:39 PM.

User Info Menu

I like the slightly drier sound of the Guild, by a small margin. I'd like to hear it through the Ampeg!

Both guitars sound terrific, and no doubt express the sound in you head. Nice playing!

User Info Menu

I'm hearing too much guitar and not enough amp to make a real assessment.

User Info Menu

Yes, the phone is picking up too much acoustic sound.

Just realised that my amp was low on those recordings.
    I will record the guitars again tomorrow with the my Ampeg.
    Thanks for listening!

Ron

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    I will be recording some original tunes in a few weeks and I'm checking out what guitar I want to use.
    Which one do you prefer?
    Short clips blowing over one of my more Bop'ish tunes.
    Both recorded with the same amp (Yamaha THR 10) on the same settings.
    I will use another amp for the recording session(1960 Ampeg Mercury)

I preferred the Ibanez. Might I suggest something. On your high E string, go up one gauge, or raise that pickup poll piece as far as it will go. The volume dropped a bit and the tone got thin on that string, the above should help with that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    Just realised that my amp was low on those recordings.
    I will record the guitars again tomorrow with the my Ampeg.
    Thanks for listening!

Ron
    Probably better to do amp you're going to actually record with anyway...

But THR Recording tip...prop your phone up against a beer can about 6 inches in front of it. Position yourself at least 3 feet away from amp. You'll get plenty of amp and zero guitar interference.

User Info Menu

These are two different guitars, the Ibanez as-200 semi and Guild hollow-body, both of them sound very good.
    It all depends on which guitar you feel more comfortable.
    Best
    Kris
    ps.
    Nice playing

Here are some versions with my Ampeg amp. I played the head this time, since this is the Composition section!
    Recorded with a Shure 57 with the amp at low volume(around 1). First notes of the day, there's a few ruff spots...
    Tracks recorded with a bass player that were added after(put alot of bass in the mix, for people listening without phones!) and Drum Genius app. Someday my tune will have a more elegant name

User Info Menu

Two recordings sound great.

User Info Menu

What Kris said: they both sound great. And they sound pretty much the same once recorded. @ronstuff or do you here major differences?

User Info Menu

The guild

User Info Menu

Aha though second clip I think the Ibanez sounds better in the overall mix.

User Info Menu

A few years ago I had a similar problem and I sold both guitars. I really sold the As-200 and the hollow body guitar. I'm crazy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    What Kris said: they both sound great. And they sound pretty much the same once recorded. @ronstuff or do you here major differences?
    They are not worlds a part. What I hear is: Ibanez has tighter bass, slightly sharper attack; Guild has deeper, looser bass and rounder, softer attack.

The recording does a good job at a showing the small differences between semi-hollows and hollow bodies.

Very nicely done and played.

User Info Menu

Ahh .. Yes ... In the new recordings the Guild really came into it's own. In the THR vids there was too little amp and too much thin acoustic sound.

I can't decide .. both sound great .. play the one that feels best to you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    These are two different guitars, the Ibanez as-200 semi and Guild hollow-body, both of them sound very good.
    It all depends on which guitar you feel more comfortable.
    Best
    Kris
    ps.
    Nice playing

I thought you still had the AS200 ... So 100% telecaster these days?

I must admit that both guitars don't sound all that different when recorded. I used the same settings everywhere.
    I find the Guild has a bit more depth and acoustic tone, woody as some would say.
    Tal_175 you described it very well!
    The Ibanez has a bit more bite and mids. Flatwounds on the Guild (TI Swings 13) and roundwounds on the Ibanez (TI Bebop 12).
    As far as confort is concerned, I like both. The Ibanez has better upper neck access and I slightly prefer the wider neck but I'm really used to the Guild and it plays like butter.
    For my recording session I will use the Guild for most of the tunes, and the Ibanez for a couple tunes where I will use overdrive.
    Both guitars can definitely sub for each other.
    I also use Telecasters, but I am not considering them at the moment (I spent a whole year exclusively playing them not so long ago).
    Thanks for the comments!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    I thought you still had the AS200 ... So 100% telecaster these days?
    Yes Telecaster but not 100%...I like guitars with nylon strings.Frameworks is great but I'm experimenting all the time.

User Info Menu

Guild may have a problem with feedback when playing out loud, the As-200 is very good guitar/no problems/ and I regret selling it ...

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Guild may have a problem with feedback when playing out loud, the As-200 is very good guitar/no problems/ and I regret selling it ...
    Absolutely! In the studio the Guild will be fine. I really like the Ibanez for Blues-Rock gigs too!

User Info Menu

I believe Guild will perform better in solo play.The guitar itself, without the rhythm section, can show the real power of the sound.

User Info Menu

Goes to show, so much of the sound is in the hands. They both sound great. If I had to pick, I think you should go with the one that's more comfortable to play.