The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

to get the good ones out."

Thought for the day.

"You've got to write a bad song...-youve-got-write-bad-song-get-good-ones-out-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I can do that.

User Info Menu

nothing wrong with writing it....just don't put it out

save that for the good stuff!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Years ago, many years ago, I did phone sales to make extra money. The first night seemed miserable. Rejections, hang-ups, people who wanted to tell me at length about their life and hard times.
    When the night was over my boss told me I did great.
    I thought he was putting me on.
    He shook his head. "Nope. If you can sell to one person out of ten you call, you're doing great. You did that."
    For some reason it occurred to me that by that logic, if I wrote 100 songs, 10 would be good.
    (This does not strictly follow from what he said. I know that. I'm telling you what I did with it. And I'm glad that I did it.)

I wrote a few hundred songs in a couple years. Most were just shit. But I learned a lot. And parts of some of the failed songs were good and would later turn up in a better song.

When my identity was tied up with being a songwriter, I wanted every song to be great. Which is odd because I hadn't written a single great song yet, but I assumed I should be able to write a great one every time. It's an illusion. Or what Anne Lammot calls 'the fantasy of the uninitiated.' Perfectionism is, she says, the main obstacle between you, the writer, and a shitty first draft, which is where all real writing starts.

So I wrote a bunch of songs. Most stank. So what? Should I have watched TV instead? Or read a book? Good as some books are, and as important as they are to me, time spent writing even a bad song was time well spent. I did get better.

It's not that one wants to write a bad song. It's that one needs to write even when one does not have a great idea.

The other night while doing dishes, I started to sing "The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze."
    Since my wife have eaten a lot of sweet peas lately, I thought that if "trapeze" were changed to "try peas" you could have a song about a picky eater. ("He wouldn't try oysters, he wouldn't try cheese, he wouldn't try chicken, he wouldn't try peas....")

That cracked me up. It's not a song. The song is already there, I was just goofing with the words for my own amusement, but over the years I've discovered that sometimes a joke or a 'verbal riff' can become the basis of a song. So I do that. A lot. And sometimes the results are good, sometimes corny, sometimes awful, but those results are all better than not doing such a thing in the first place.

As Curtis said, "Keep On Pushing."

User Info Menu

This can be true of any artform, really. I've done a lot of paintings that were shit.

Thankfully, the arts aren't something that you get only one chance with. It's like they say, "If at first you don't succeed, maybe don't go skydiving."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    This can be true of any artform, really. I've done a lot of paintings that were shit.

Thankfully, the arts aren't something that you get only one chance with. It's like they say, "If at first you don't succeed, maybe don't go skydiving."
    I think it's process over product. Sure, now and then you do something very good. (Sometimes you don't really know which piece is very good until years later but that's another story.) The key is to keep doing it. Living a life in which you are open to doing something artistic at any moment is the best sort of life.

If nothing else, producing bad or mediocre work keeps you in the habit of doing something. If you lose that happen, when the best ideas come, you'll likely let them slip away.
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 03-11-2021 at 11:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Paul Simon said he wrote hundreds of garbage tunes before he finally came up big with "Red Rubber Ball".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Paul Simon said he wrote hundreds of garbage tunes before he finally came up big with "Red Rubber Ball".
    Gregg Allman used to write songs and play them for his brother Duane. Duane dismissed each one in turn, pointing out how it was obviously derivative of this or that other song. Finally Gregg came up with "Midnight Rider" and Duane told him he had something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Years ago, many years ago, I did phone sales to make extra money. The first night seemed miserable. Rejections, hang-ups, people who wanted to tell me at length about their life and hard times.
    When the night was over my boss told me I did great.
    I thought he was putting me on.
    He shook his head. "Nope. If you can sell to one person out of ten you call, you're doing great. You did that."
    Did your boss tell you about ABC too?
    "You've got to write a bad song...-index-jpg

User Info Menu

What I learned sometimes you are a bad judge about your own stuff. Back in the time when I wanted to do my own rock band, and I started to write songs, me and the drummer I bonded with started audition singers and other musicians. So I had maybe 5 songs ready, and there was one I thought was the most mediocre but I kinda like it. But other songs I thought were more interesting and unique.

Guess what, all the people who listen liked the 'mediocre' song, that what impressed them the most and made them wanted to be part of it. It was more straight ahead rock, and I wanted more rockabilly flavor, so other tunes reflected that.

So I was telling people yea you like that but listen to my other stuff that's the direction I wanna go, its better! In the end the project didnt go anywhere. In the hindsight when I'm listening to the demo we recorded, yes, the song I thought was mediocre actually the best one and I shouyld've humble myself back then and listen to people.

So the lesson is dont discard anything because YOU think it's bad. You might be surprised.

User Info Menu

A friend of mine is one of the top photographers in the USA. He is the first to admit that he takes anywhere from 100 to 300 photos just to get one "keeper."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Just Fred
    A friend of mine is one of the top photographers in the USA. He is the first to admit that he takes anywhere from 100 to 300 photos just to get one "keeper."
    That's a good thing to keep in mind!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    So the lesson is don't discard anything because YOU think it's bad. You might be surprised.
    Great advice!
    It's easy---inevitable?---to be too close to one's work (at least initially) to assess it well.
    It's fairly common for musicians who have been around a while to look back over past projects and assess them differently than they did
    when they were new.

Being too critical of one's own work, esp in the beginning, is a great way to keep from DOING any work. ("It all sucks; I quit!")
    It's better to get everything down and go back over it later. Then again later.
    I think of my old manuscript books and recordings (-of unfinished things) as a junkyard where "just the thing" for some new project might be found.

User Info Menu

Thing is.. what's the outlet for songwriting? I find it's hard to keep after an artistic endeavor when it's not apparent how to share the result. Seems any more I just do the fun part and skip the hard work of actually finishing the song.

User Info Menu

While I agree with the premise, the Pop song is comprised of 2 parts Music and Lyrics. And what passes for music now is mostly Rhythm and Lyrics.
    It's directed at the younger audience who are trying to attract each other.

Since the proccess involves mostly machines and the composer, it no longer has the Creative input of the Musicians. Therefore most Great Pop Songs had way more Magic that was in the actual end product.
    Beatles, Fran Sinatra,Stevie Wonder, etc.

A peice of clay while needs to be good in the first place,is only that. It's how it's interpreted by the arranger or musicians that makes it great!
    And that can be one composer such as Mozart , James Taylor, even Prince.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Did your boss tell you about ABC too?
    "You've got to write a bad song...-index-jpg
    Ha! That was a great scene. It wasn't in the play. Mamet wrote it just for Baldwin. "First place, a new Cadillac. Second place, steak knives. Third place, you're fired!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    A piece of clay while needs to be good in the first place,is only that. It's how it's interpreted by the arranger or musicians that makes it great!
    I have written about half of the songs played by my trio and taught them the rest (standards).

The songs and ourselves kind of start as "clay" and I give the bass and drums free reign to interpret or compose their own ideas. We never play a song the same twice, and each song progresses through a journey of modification. All of us are keen to please the audience and notice which ideas move us in that direction, so the songs evolve, especially the originals which seem to take on emergent lives of their own.

Regarding composition, I introduced a nice method for shaking out ideas. During rehearsal, in the early stages, we would start with two songs and play the first one. Rather than ending the first song, we gave ourselves about 20 seconds to figure out in real time while playing how to transition from the first song into the second song, which shared the same key and pace, but as we learned to do this the two songs more likely had different keys with different rhythms, with the transition period extending to a few minutes.

This method produced lots of ideas and really helped each of us learn to "read each other's musical minds". We got good at this and included it during performance, eventually one of us spontaneously invoking this while approaching the end of a song not needing to know in advance what the next song would be... so that while in mid transition any one of us might decide and lead the others into the next song just by musical suggestion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Thing is.. what's the outlet for songwriting? I find it's hard to keep after an artistic endeavor when it's not apparent how to share the result. Seems any more I just do the fun part and skip the hard work of actually finishing the song.
    Record them????

User Info Menu

Same could be said for most of us pursuing playing jazz. Even the best jazz players around these parts struggle to find an audience, at least one that shows any interest.

I find finishing and recording a tune I wrote the most satisfying thing I do musically, no, correction, the most satisfying thing I do period. Even though I only have a tiny audience. (I might get a hundred views if I'm lucky on Facebook and YouTube. In contrast, I have some videos of me playing from the Modern Method for Guitar book that have between 15k and 20k views)
    Attached Images Attached Images "You've got to write a bad song...-tiny-people-jpg 

User Info Menu

Thing is.. what's the outlet for songwriting?
    Songwriting doesn't need an outlet...it IS an outlet.

You find yourself doing it or not doing it...that's it.

I think you mean, "where's the encouragement?"

There's a thread here I'm sure you're aware of it.

User Info Menu

Balance between inspiration and critical mind doesn't exist I think.. it's all just so biased/a matter of million tastes and moods and.... bah. There is no need to bother.
    Write whatever you want but it's a curse when in need of some approval once its finished. I mean, when in doubt, why'd you ever wrote it down?
    So, it's ok to write a bad song and presenting on purpose. But more because.. to feel that you are not in dire need of having to get covered by women's underwear all the time. On stage I mean.. nothing kinky

joelf Guest
    I highly recommend Benny Golson's autobiog, Whisper Not. (Remember, in jazz he and Horace Silver are considered songwriters and are wildly popular with the public, not only musicians. Benny's even written lyrics---hopefully to better effect than Horace).

Benny gives us much insight into his composing thought processes, but one thing that especially resonated with me---and is germane to the discussion is (paraphrasing):

'I keep my ''dogs'' in the piano bench, and go through them regularly. I as much want to see what I can learn as salvage'.

In truly gifted people even their 'failures' will have a spark of SOMETHING---whatever may be missing to make it a bit short of the mark. Woody Allen's Bergman/Fellini period: those films will never be as beloved as his romantic or even gag-driven comedies but they have a lot of insight into the human condition. Take them for what they are.

Back to music: I was over James Chirillo's (a terrific writer, BTW) some years ago. There was a project he had written something for. One of the other writers was Thad Jones. This piece was supposed to be for a H.S. band---but was so COMPLEX I wondered what Thad was thinking and what H.S. band on earth could ever play THAT? (By contrast, Manny Albam's chart on It's a Wonderful World [not the song Pops sang] was played by H.S. bands who sailed through it).

BUT what a fascinating piece! I'd love to hear it again. I think the guy who commissioned all the writing for his CD is Mike Christiansen. It's probably out...

User Info Menu

I am new to the forum and had a couple questions about creating a jazz standard.

I know they have 2 5 1 progressions.... and in theory that is jazz music...
    My question is what the theory or technical term is called when writing chord progressions not only just using the 251 formulas but also having a 2 section after the 2 5 1 formula...

What exactly and how exactly do you use passing chords with sub dominant chords substitutions and so on and so on... when do you use tri tones or such as replacing the 2 chords with a flat 9?
    Are there standard harmonies like any suggestions on using rhythm patterns and what they might use in the sense of jazz or does it defy someone's character ability to play that on their own such as maybe a sub dominant 4/4 or major 5th or a 1/16 as a tonic chord...

User Info Menu

The most reduced changes would be no change at all. Play the tonic IM for 8 bars. When you can no longer stand it, you will be compelled to play the V7. V7 subs for IM because the 3 and 7b of V7 "switch" into 1 and 3 of IM. Your melody will force you to do it. The toggle pattern formed between IM and V7 is the basis of any further changes. Sub in IM VI7 for IM and iim7 V7 for V7. Add diatonic Passing Chords: iim7, iiim7, IVM or Chromatic Passing Chords: 1#o7, 3bo7, or 5bo7. You can sub upper structures for lower structures: IVM=iim7. Try back-cycling from the V7 to the IM. Start with dominants, but substitute m7's where needed. Regardless, all subs are really similar chords that have 2 or 3 notes in common. Remember that iim7 is really the same as V7 and iim7=IVM7. IM7=iim7=vim7, iim7=IVM, V7=viim7-5. There are also o7 subs for most chords, but done in a specific way, the Tritone Sub being only one of them. Comp between inversions and extensions of the same chord until you're comping four different grips per bar.

You would really benefit from Jerry Coker's little book, Improvising Jazz and also Hearing The Changes. Also the The Johnny Rector chord book, Roger Edison, and David Eastlee Methods.

These books have examples of various changes. Modern books are mostly scale based, which helps no one, actually. I heard a Berklee guy playing with a group in Toronto. I think he comped one chord per bar and let it sustain. Not very helpful. Then he soloed. All scales. Hyper-Phrygian and Aural-Ectomy. It was a mercy when he stopped. It was all on the pianist to render the songs. He seemed to have no idea of Jazz as a rhythmic, melodic entertainment. Try to find a book on that... Everyone wants to Run The Voodoo Down, without supplying the harmonies that breathe life into the top line.

::
    Last edited by StringNavigator; 03-12-2023 at 11:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzguitar2516
    I am new to the forum and had a couple questions about creating a jazz standard.

I know they have 2 5 1 progressions.... and in theory that is jazz music...
    My question is what the theory or technical term is called when writing chord progressions not only just using the 251 formulas but also having a 2 section after the 2 5 1 formula...

What exactly and how exactly do you use passing chords with sub dominant chords substitutions and so on and so on... when do you use tri tones or such as replacing the 2 chords with a flat 9?
    Are there standard harmonies like any suggestions on using rhythm patterns and what they might use in the sense of jazz or does it defy someone's character ability to play that on their own such as maybe a sub dominant 4/4 or major 5th or a 1/16 as a tonic chord...

How many standards do you already know? The more songs you learn the easier it will be to write your own songs.