The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Hello Everyone!

My name is Gabriel Bismut, I'm a jazz violinist, violist and composer from Paris. As a real jazz guitar lover, I'm glad to have joined this forum.

This is a tune I wrote some years ago after listening to a gypsy jazz concert in Paris, but recorded it only recently in an acoustic jazz quartet, and I really wanted to pay homage to the sound of the guitar in the main theme. There's also a guitar solo which I think is worth listening.

I hope you'll appreciate it. Let me know what you think, thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielBismut
    Hello Everyone!

My name is Gabriel Bismut, I'm a jazz violinist, violist and composer from Paris. As a real jazz guitar lover, I'm glad to have joined this forum.

This is a tune I wrote some years ago after listening to a gypsy jazz concert in Paris, but recorded it only recently in an acoustic jazz quartet, and I really wanted to pay homage to the sound of the guitar in the main theme. There's also a guitar solo which I think is worth listening.

I hope you'll appreciate it. Let me know what you think, thanks!

It's always good to have the perspectives of other instrumentalists on our beloved guitars!

Also: nice tune and playing!

User Info Menu

Welcome, Gabriel. Nice tune and playing. I look forward to further contributions to this forum.

User Info Menu

wonderful playing from all involved...good production as well...the low end on your grisard is viola-esque

good group

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    It's always good to have the perspectives of other instrumentalists on our beloved guitars!

Also: nice tune and playing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Welcome, Gabriel. Nice tune and playing. I look forward to further contributions to this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    wonderful playing from all involved...good production as well...the low end on your grisard is viola-esque

good group

cheers
    Thank you all for your warm welcome. It's very nice to have some good feedback from guitarists! Cheers from Paris!

User Info Menu

Mon dieu, I missed this! Nice composition indeed, and cool the way you "featured" the guitar.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Nice tune with a strong beat and excellent harmonies.

Tony. D.

User Info Menu

Great playing, Gabriel! This is music that could be performed in a restaurant, club, or concert venue. And, the accordion gives a special romantic feel to the music.
    Play live . . . Marinero

Very Good Job!!! Gabriel. I mentioned the Struthers Bros. earlier in one of my posts. Eric went on to have a long career with Neville Bros and Dr. John Aaron Neville and many others.His brother Steve has played with Pharoh Sanders and many others also.He has been teaching for about 30 years. I just remembered how I met them. I was playing on a piano quartet gig in a nice restaurant back in the early seventies and both walked in with their instruments. They both took their cases over to the side and got out their guitars and pulled up seats as close to the stage as they could. They both played acoustically for about 3 hours and introduced themselves as new in town. Eric went to New Orleans and auditioned and got the Neville Brothers gig and went all over the world and made some records with them.Steve stayed settled but has continued to work even if its just teaching. Eric lived and worked in the Nashville area a while. Since perseverance is the heading of this discussion I thought new younger guys might take note that sometimes maybe some friendly hustle is whats required to break in with the people who are working in music. Lack of perseverance is the first step to failure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Mon dieu, I missed this! Nice composition indeed, and cool the way you "featured" the guitar.
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotony
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Nice tune with a strong beat and excellent harmonies.

Tony. D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Great playing, Gabriel! This is music that could be performed in a restaurant, club, or concert venue. And, the accordion gives a special romantic feel to the music.
    Play live . . . Marinero
    Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    Very Good Job!!! Gabriel. I mentioned the Struthers Bros. earlier in one of my posts. Eric went on to have a long career with Neville Bros and Dr. John Aaron Neville and many others.His brother Steve has played with Pharoh Sanders and many others also.He has been teaching for about 30 years. I just remembered how I met them. I was playing on a piano quartet gig in a nice restaurant back in the early seventies and both walked in with their instruments. They both took their cases over to the side and got out their guitars and pulled up seats as close to the stage as they could. They both played acoustically for about 3 hours and introduced themselves as new in town. Eric went to New Orleans and auditioned and got the Neville Brothers gig and went all over the world and made some records with them.Steve stayed settled but has continued to work even if its just teaching. Eric lived and worked in the Nashville area a while. Since perseverance is the heading of this discussion I thought new younger guys might take note that sometimes maybe some friendly hustle is whats required to break in with the people who are working in music. Lack of perseverance is the first step to failure.
    Thank you Peter C, Pilotony, Marinero for your nice comments and thank you Steve Burchfield for your nice comment and your thought about this! Indeed we musicians always need to persevere, especially in times like this. Sorry guys for the late reply, it had been a while since I had last been to this forum, but I was really glad to read this. If you liked this tune you can listen to the full album for free here Le chat brel - YouTube

We've been playing these tunes all over France and in Europe recently and we plan to do more concerts all over Europe and hopefully in the US so who knows, I might bump into one of you guys soon, that would be a pleasure
    See you!

User Info Menu

Just now hearing this.
    Lovely ensemble dynamics, where the restraint maintains a strong current running beneath the solos. Kudos to all.

Gabriel, can you share or point me to a score? My wife is a lifelong violist and perfect reader. She would enjoy this and I would enjoy supporting her with my half-ear/half-reading on guitar & bass.

Cheers from NC—

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhl-ferndale
    Just now hearing this.
    Lovely ensemble dynamics, where the restraint maintains a strong current running beneath the solos. Kudos to all.

Gabriel, can you share or point me to a score? My wife is a lifelong violist and perfect reader. She would enjoy this and I would enjoy supporting her with my half-ear/half-reading on guitar & bass.

Cheers from NC—
    Thank you rhl-ferndale! Sure, the solos are improvised so there's no score for them at the moment but I can send you the score of the main theme, with chords. Would you mind giving me you email address (in a private message if you want) so I can send it to you?

User Info Menu

Thank you! I’m at rohilong@gmail.com.

I’ll be spending more time listening on repeat to Perseverance. Or rather pursuing it—je vais le poursuivre. ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhl-ferndale
    Thank you! I’m at rohilong@gmail.com.

I’ll be spending more time listening on repeat to Perseverance. Or rather pursuing it—je vais le poursuivre. ;-)
    Done ! Also Robert, if your wife is a violinist, she might also be interested in my lessons about famous jazz violin solos on my Youtube channel.
    Link here --> Jazz Violin Transcriptions - YouTube
    Free pdf of the transcriptions can be downloaded in the description of each video.

Enjoy!