User Info Menu

This little suite is currently posted in the showcase subforum and it would be great to get some critical opinions on it as a composition from other musicians/composers.

It dates back to when I was first listening closely to Bossa Nova and, for whatever reason, decided to take it to triple time - do you think that works? Would the non-Bossa sections work as an arrangement for string ensemble, as suggested by a local conservatory director? Would the lead voice in the Bossa part sound best on a trumpet?

If you hate it, that's ok..... just please say why

Original piece - feedback most welcome

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Peter!

I'm on a Jazz Guitar Forum kick and just listen your very cool composition!

I love the cello-like bass (or bass-like cello?). And the very rhythmic arpeggios on the steel-string, too!

It dates back to when I was first listening closely to Bossa Nova and, for whatever reason, decided to take it to triple time - do you think that works?

I like the double-time part, too - it definitely adds contrast - imho I would love to hear an improv that led back to the bass/acoustic guitar duet. And also would love to hear a bowed bass solo, too, maybe before the restating of the theme or as an outro?

Would the non-Bossa sections work as an arrangement for string ensemble, as suggested by a local conservatory director?

For sure! Especially with the steel-string guitar as the propulsion. And maybe a very understated percussion part, too?

Would the lead voice in the Bossa part sound best on a trumpet?

It's a good melody, so any instrument would be fine - I guess just depends on what you want - but if you had a trumpet play the melody, then maybe they could do a very understated muted trumpet part for the A section? Just a random thought!

In any case sounds great and I love the guitar/bass duo sound!

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for taking time to listen my "petite composition" and for your observations, all duly noted. The cello part, along with the rather mechanical sounding drums, was written in Musescore. When I can actually sit down with a cellist, that part (and others) will undoubtedly be reworked.