The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Frank (fep) and I have been sharing some things lately. He's kindly taught me what little I know about recording with a mixer and Reaper, etc.
    Next year should involve a lot more actual recording. (Still need another item or two
    Played my Tele every day this year and it's rekindled my love of things I heard (and loved) as a kid: Booker T & the MGs, Jerry Reed, the Stones, Freddie King, the usual suspects.

Anyway, I'm coming up with my guitar parts than I know what to do with.
    Got me wondering who here collaborates and how they go about it.
    I hope Frank (fep) and I co-write some songs. I've never been a co-writer before. (I'm one of those loner a**holes you sometimes read about in the paper...;o)

I got married late in life (60) and now maybe it's time I wrote some songs with other people. Who knows, maybe when I'm 70 I'll join a rock band....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

At this point I have 9 solo CDs plus stuff I wrote for bands, so over 100 songs written and recorded. I don't collaborate on my solo stuff because, for me, composing is usually an arduous process and I'm a perfectionist. And I'm lucky because I like all kinds of music, so never run out of ideas.

Occasionally my musician friends will ask for input on a work in progress and I'll work on their song, sometimes to the point of mostly re-writing it. Sometimes they'll use a lot of what I come up with, often just a few lyrics or chords. We send stuff back and forth on the internet. But I never sit down in the same room with somebody and work out a song. That's just my way.

I think it's a great idea to save up your random ideas and use them to write with somebody else. It's likely that they will come up with some stuff you wouldn't have thought of. Hope you will post the results here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilpy
    At this point I have 9 solo CDs plus stuff I wrote for bands, so over 100 songs written and recorded. I don't collaborate on my solo stuff because, for me, composing is usually an arduous process and I'm a perfectionist. And I'm lucky because I like all kinds of music, so never run out of ideas.

Occasionally my musician friends will ask for input on a work in progress and I'll work on their song, sometimes to the point of mostly re-writing it. Sometimes they'll use a lot of what I come up with, often just a few lyrics or chords. We send stuff back and forth on the internet. But I never sit down in the same room with somebody and work out a song. That's just my way.

I think it's a great idea to save up your random ideas and use them to write with somebody else. It's likely that they will come up with some stuff you wouldn't have thought of. Hope you will post the results here!
    Congratulations on 9 solo CDs! That's an awesome achievement.

As for me, I think it might be nice to bounce ideas off of someone who has a relatable-yet-distinctive sensibility so that, as you say, they'd come up with something I wouldn't.

I've noticed over the years that riffs and bits of songs are like a painter's sketchbook. You come at a subject from several perspectives before settling on what is, as Aretha Franklin put it, "just right tonight". Sometimes I jettison things that might be perfectly workable in a context I'm not thinking of.

And it would be a change of pace for me. A move out of my comfort zone. Who knows what could happen?

User Info Menu

Ha Ha....those 9 CDs were done over the course of 38 years! The first ones were actually cassette and vinyl releases. A few royalty checks and some national airplay, but very little money. The main benefit was to enhance my reputation in the local music community....a good thing! It's really rewarding writing your own stuff and recording it, and I wish you much success!

joelf Guest
    Like this:

joelf Guest
    And this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

joelf Guest
    I enjoy it, and hope to do more, though I've composed and 'songwritten' so long now I have some chops and speed at music and lyrics. It's a bit easier 'collaborating' w/oneself, b/c who knows one's own mind and soul better.

But collaboration can be great fun and, according to a successful lyricist---(help me out here, Mark, was it Cynthia Weill of Mann-Weill? Ashamed I don't remember) sexy. (It didn't hurt that she was married to her collaborator. The family that writes together...)...

User Info Menu

I always think about collaborating but I’ve only done it maybe once over the internet. Having a band and writing, getting input is the best form of collaboration but I haven’t done that in many years. I have a very young band and my reputation is established more or less. No matter what I say to invite opinion they’re maybe a little intimidated to venture there.

I do have some great friends far across the country where it’s be fun to collaborate with. So far it’s just a little talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk