Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 137 of 137

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fz2016
    Pardon my ignorance but what does GASB stand for?
    Songwriting Rules of the Road (at least in, and ONLY in my opinion)...-3e962a19-18ae-4f3e-a858-ad5c6a16bb5b-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fz2016
    Pardon my ignorance but what does GASB stand for?
    Great American Songbook - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

Ah nevermind Great American Songbook!

User Info Menu

Oh just saw your response after the post I did of figuring it out! I felt kinda silly when I realized how obvious it was! But thanks for answering man I appreciate it.

User Info Menu

I have been too busy to post much lately.

Been thinking about an old song form, AAA (or all A)

Old McDonald Had A Farm, Maggie Mae, Blowin' In The Wind, I Walk the Line, Bridge Over Troubled Waters, Gentle On My Mind, Amazing Grace....

I'm especially interested in versions of this where the song has a verse / chorus form yet both parts have the same chords. (The vocal melody changes.)

This is one of my favorite songs from my childhood, "Leaning On The Everlasting Arms". It's a flexible tune with a wide appeal, open to a variety of treatments. I want to write a song like that!

(Wet blanket alert)

I know you meant the older Maggie Mae, not Rod Stewart's.

B/c IMO that song is rife with such bad writing, and so overbaked in arrangement and performance, I'm not sure whether to laugh or groan. (When the mandolin players come en masse at the end, it reminds me of an old Al Cohn joke: 'I did a record date with 50 mandolin players. No one in Jersey could get a haircut that day'.

Ex---one of many: this strained and ludicrous rhyme:

'I laughed at all of your jokes,
    My love you didn't need to coax'...'

Besides, Stewart himself makes my toes curl---especially the GASB stuff---ugh. Give me Joni or Dylan, even in decline.

Stewart was OK in the cranked-up Jeff Beck Group back in the late '60s, when he had to scream and rasp to get over that volume. I sort of dug it then. But I was 18.

Wish he'd go away...
    Last edited by joelf; 07-03-2020 at 05:59 PM.

Meanwhile, looking for uplifting and protest songs for an upcoming concert, I found this gem by Alicia Keys:

Always heard she was gifted. I can see why they say that...

User Info Menu

Other strophic (-AAA, or all A) songs include:
    C C Rider, Baby Please Don't Go, House of the Rising Sun, Shady Grove, Tom Dooley, Deck The Halls, Will the Circle Be Unbroken, Freight Train, In the Pines, Man of Constant Sorrow....

And Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair; and My Babe. This is all I ask is AA with a 2nd ending...

I take back every snarky word I wrote about the Bergmans' lyrics. If they can write this...

(Legrand and Blue Eyes don't hurt either)...

User Info Menu

Here are my pop producer "Max Martin" hit songwriting crib notes:

Key of G (the most popular)
    113 BPM (the most popular)

||: I | V | vi- | IV :|| the "Let It Be" type chords

||: C | G | A- | F :|| the most popular chord progression, or some variation of

Simple lyrics (3rd to 5th-grade level)

Most popular form:
    (between 30-60 seconds to arrive at the Chorus)
    Intro 4 bars
    Verse 8 bars
    Pre Chorus 8 bars
    Chorus 16 bars
    Bridge 8 bars

MINOR KEY SONGS:
    ||: i- iv- | bVII bIII | bVI iv- | v- i- :|| typical

||: C- F- | Bb Eb | Ab F- | G- C- :|| or a variation of

User Info Menu

Rick Beato made a video about the I-V-vi-IV progression ("The Four Chords That Killed Pop Music") and why it is ubiquitous.

The Beatles didn't use this much. ("Let It Be", yes, but that was it.)
    Max Martin himself doesn't use that progression as much.
    (According to Rick.)
    But producers and record labels want them to be used because they are the hit formula.....