The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19
    Hi!

For some reason when I compose pieces tend to come up classical influenced. I have gypsy jazz and jazzish background but no classical education what so ever. Another thing is that I can't play with proper classical technique so I use pick. That is aloud I think when playing own compositions.

But here are short examples of my compositions for solo guitar. I hope you like them. Video clips are from Finland.

Kindest, Mikko

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mikko, have you written these down into scores? They could be published. Bill Bay of Mel Bay also writes classical-infused pieces with a pick. I'm sure he'd like what you are doing. As do I. Mel Bay wouldn't look at it if you couldn't present them with a pdf of typeset scores and text (not normally, at least).

User Info Menu

Seems as much Metheny-influenced as "classical", but very nice either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Mikko, have you written these down into scores? They could be published. Bill Bay of Mel Bay also writes classical-infused pieces with a pick. I'm sure he'd like what you are doing. As do I. Mel Bay wouldn't look at it if you couldn't present them with a pdf of typeset scores and text (not normally, at least).
    Hi Rob!

I had a book almost ready on my laptop but the computer broke down. The file might get rescued but I don't have money neither for new computer nor fix the old one. This situation has been for some time and I have to admit that it pisses me off. But when I get new computer some day I will continue with books straight a way.

I don't have good idea for publishing and surely would need help on it. I know we have BOD companies here in Finland but maybe they are not good at spreading guitar books. Amazon is one option too. What do you think? Is Mel Bay best option?
    I appreciate a lot your help Rob.

Kindest, Mikko

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Seems as much Metheny-influenced as "classical", but very nice either way.
    Thank you very much!
    I hear that Metheny influence sometimes from people. It's funny because I don't listen or practice his music. But I know he is great. Just not my style of music. ??

Kindest, Mikko

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikkoKarhula
    Thank you very much!
    I hear that Metheny influence sometimes from people. It's funny because I don't listen or practice his music. But I know he is great. Just not my style of music. ??

Kindest, Mikko
    One of those odd coincidences where while you don't listen to Metheny, you come at the music from a similar place.

Really enjoyed the sound of this.

User Info Menu

Very nice...get that computer fixed!

User Info Menu

Hi Rob!

I had a book almost ready on my laptop but the computer broke down. The file might get rescued but I don't have money neither for new computer nor fix the old one. This situation has been for some time and I have to admit that it pisses me off. But when I get new computer some day I will continue with books straight a way.

I don't have good idea for publishing and surely would need help on it. I know we have BOD companies here in Finland but maybe they are not good at spreading guitar books. Amazon is one option too. What do you think? Is Mel Bay best option?
    I appreciate a lot your help Rob.

Kindest, Mikko
    Sorry to hear about your computer troubles. That can drive you crazy. But if you ever get it together and have a complete pdf, I could introduce you to Bill Bay, who runs Mel Bay now. I can't at all promise you anything, of course. They've published about twenty of my books, and they are always on time with payments to authors, every three months. Of course, they don't have money to spend advertising in loads of magazines, but if you do your own promo, they can get the stuff out.

Quote Originally Posted by jaco
    Very nice...get that computer fixed!
    Thank you! I'll try.
    The exact problem was that we had mold in our home and all our things were toxicated. I lost all my guitars there too. I used my old toxicated computer in balcony of our new home. I couldn't bring it inside because family could have symptoms. So computer maybe got moisture in balcony despite there is windows.
    Yeah, but thank you very much for engouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Sorry to hear about your computer troubles. That can drive you crazy. But if you ever get it together and have a complete pdf, I could introduce you to Bill Bay, who runs Mel Bay now. I can't at all promise you anything, of course. They've published about twenty of my books, and they are always on time with payments to authors, every three months. Of course, they don't have money to spend advertising in loads of magazines, but if you do your own promo, they can get the stuff out.
    That is so kind of you Rob! I fpund your email and sent little hello message to get the contact. I hope it worked. Or what is the best way to contact you when I get that book ready?

User Info Menu

Excellent, Mikko. Always great to hear you.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Excellent, Mikko. Always great to hear you.
    Thank you very much!

User Info Menu

I enjoyed listening to those clips too, sounds great! I have the same guitar and I'll have to try using a pick with it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70
    I enjoyed listening to those clips too, sounds great! I have the same guitar and I'll have to try using a pick with it now.
    That's nice to hear. Thank you very much!
    You find best picks for nylon stringed guitar from here
    </title> <link rel="profile" href="http://gmpg.org/xfn/11" /> <link rel="pingback" href="https://www.finnpick.com/xmlrpc.php" /> <title>Finnpick – Handmade Picks with Character

Cheers! Mikko

User Info Menu

I ordered a curly birch Mikko, can't wait to try it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70
    I ordered a curly birch Mikko, can't wait to try it out!
    Thank you very much Dave!

Curly birch is very balanced and natural sounding pick. Round tip will give easy playability and thickness in grip end bass and warmness. I use very natural finishing liquids to leave the sound as much wood-like as possible.

Cheers!

User Info Menu

Hi Rob!

I recommend everyone reading this to order some picks from Mikko. They are phenomenal and he’ll have money to fix his stupid computer!

Quote Originally Posted by ErikWasser
    I recommend everyone reading this to order some picks from Mikko. They are phenomenal and he’ll have money to fix his stupid computer!

Thank you so much Erik! That really warms my heart.

Unfortunately we postal strike in Finland now and I have some purchases waiting for sending. It might end this weekend or next week.

Last comment I had from one Finnish player who uses my picks is that my picks helps very much in playing Frank Gambale style sweep picking. Those picks are all hand made and round edged and made for easy playing.

Cheers

User Info Menu

Postal strike is over, when I got home from work today my picks were in the mailbox.

Even though I've only tested them for a little while, I like them already. Try 'em out!