Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Songwriting is something I've done as a hobby for a long time, mostly Rock, R&B, and a little bit of Jazz Fusion. My last two compositions have received several good reviews and feedback from my FB & Soundcloud followers, but I wanted to put these two songs to a more scrutinous critic base, the Jazz guitar experts here. We all know your friends tend to support you regardless, and that's a lot of my following/listeners, but I'm hoping for some real deal truth from the folks who are deeply into jazz & jazz guitar ........ you.

As for my crossroads, due to physical limitations I cannot support this material with steady live performing.

Forgive me for being long winded but I wanted to present the whole picture before I ask my question. I've been told these are two of the best Jazz tunes I've written, and I'm considering putting them together with some other songs for an EP to push on iTunes, CDbaby, etc. or try to shop the songs to whoever artists might have interest. So the question is...

How good are these songs? Maybe not my performance, but the songs themselves.
    Are they worthy to spend the time, effort & money to promote them more than just on social media?

Fale Comigo (Speak to Me) - Bossa Nova influenced Latin Jazz

The Stranger - Santana/McLaughlin influenced Fusion

The Stranger by Tony B Songwriting | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Again, sorry for the long story, and thank you for reading and listening, and your feedback.
    (You can also click on Tonybsongwriting when there to access my other songs)
    Last edited by tonyb300; 11-04-2019 at 05:39 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Tony - congrats on getting the energy and skills together to produce what you have!! In the spirit of trying to be helpful- you nearly blew my speakers apart at 1:20 !!!! I can't listen past that point it is just too overwhelming - sorry

Will

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WillMbCdn5 View Post
    Hi Tony - congrats on getting the energy and skills together to produce what you have!! In the spirit of trying to be helpful- you nearly blew my speakers apart at 1:20 !!!! I can't listen past that point it is just too overwhelming - sorry

Will
    Thanks

Not sure what you're listening thru, haven't had a mention of that from the other listeners.

I checked it on my headphones & speakers and although I'm sure it could be mixed better, it wasn't overpowering. I also checked my stats and I've got over 50 plays in the last couple days with no mention. Maybe your settings?

User Info Menu

It's definitely a lot louder than most mastered music -cd/streaming/mp3 that I listen to over my computer/daw and studio monitors.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo View Post
    It's definitely a lot louder than most mastered music -cd/streaming/mp3 that I listen to over my computer/daw and studio monitors.
    Well... I'll have to look into it. (Although I find the mix level similar to others on Soundcloud)

Engineering is really not my strength, actually my weakness, and mixing is the worst for me as it takes a lot of re-listening and computer tweaking. My Pinched nerve/numbness issues are computer related and computer aggravated, the less time in front of a computer, the better I am. In fact I have to do this thru dictation software, and if my songs are worthy I would get with someone with better Logic Pro skills to get some better masters, probably at a cost.

Sadly, nobody wants to turn down their monitors enough to listen and give feedback on the compositions themselves, to even determine if they have the potential.

Thank you for your reply though.

User Info Menu

Well, once you decide to enter the composing/publishing/recording market, no matter how good you are, you will be judged against the best in the business. Will someone decide to spend their hard earned money on your product/song/cd vs a veteran experienced in trying to deliver what people want?

Your music is not bad, you definitely have the skills and ear to produce something really good, but the tunes you provided need a bit more fine tuning before they are ready to become product to sell, IMO.

The marketplace is incredibly competitive and is filled with experts trying to get a return on their investment of time and money. These professionals have a great advantage over beginners or amateurs trying to exploit music for some kind of revenue.

As they say, the music business is 10% music and 90% business. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Tunes and performances are good in my opinion. But for me they don't hit the level of making me think I want to share and have my friends and family listen to this.

Once in a while I'll run across something from the likes Metheny or Snarky Puppy or The Bros. Landreth that I'll want to listen to and share. The competition is really stiff.

And these musicians are out there performing and marketing their product. Not sure how you could do it without being able to perform live.

Maybe you could try to do the YouTube Vlog thing to market, what do you have to lose.
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

User Info Menu

Thanks, and I agree exactly with these evaluations.

This stuff is maybe better than what the average local cat is putting out, but not really at "world class" level. Considering I play all the instruments on these recordings, I would like get my material in the hands of players to do better work on keyboards, bass, drums, etc. or an instrumentalist with less arthritis problems than I.

Getting these songs into the hands of an established artist is hard enough and the tunes (songwriting-wise) would have to be knockout to get any interest. On top of that most artists have a bunch of tunes they've written that even they have a hard time getting their respective producers to kick out the $$ to get them recorded. I found that out first hand from a couple of well established internationally known Bay Area musicians who had tons of material that may never see the light of day.

Jazz is such a small slice of the musical pie in this day & time, and there are a gazillion musicians fighting for this tiny market, so it has to be stellar, Metheny, Martino, Snarky level stuff to get noticed. My work is close, but no cigar, I think.

Thanks again.

User Info Menu

They're good. They're a bit loud, you could lower your recording level.

Are we judging the composition or the performance? If the performance, I can only say I enjoyed them. As you say, not maybe 'world class', but did you expect them to be? They're certainly above amateur, let's put it that way.

If the tunes themselves, all a band needs is a lead sheet. Thereafter they do what they want with it. If they're any good they'll make something of them.

When you say 'songs' actually they don't have lyrics (neither of these two tunes are sung) so I guess you mean tunes. I don't think the tunes per se matter, what you're really selling here is a feel, a mood, a style. In that respect they pass the test.

I certainly wouldn't give up. Your compositions will be popular with the right people, no question. Pushing it and getting them out there is a different ballgame, though. Probably harder than writing them :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep View Post
    Tunes and performances are good in my opinion. But for me they don't hit the level of making me think I want to share and have my friends and family listen to this.
    I agree with the above, also I think your intro is a bit longer than you need. It has a pleasing sound but it's not anything I would buy or share with anyone, it just doesn't reach that level for me. It's nice but IMHO it doesn't get any further than sounding alright. In some parts, it sounds like something you would hear on a smooth jazz channel on the radio. Your playing is not terrible and either are your song writing skills. I mean the song has potential, how much and what kind of potential, idk. As far as it being too loud, I didn't have a problem with it. Good luck going forward, Tony!