The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34
    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    If it sounds like you're trying to play jazz instead of metal then expect filthy looks :-)
    Makes sense...Like that scene in Back to The Future where Marty Mcfly goes all shreddy on Johnny B. Goode LOL.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You can bring a jazz sensibility/aesthetic to rock/metal etc. It comes off sounding "Fusiony" of course, plenty of examples of it from the 70's on.

Now on the other hand if you try to bring a metal approach into a Jazz idiom, you'll just look and sound like a dickhead.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    If it sounds like you're trying to play jazz instead of metal then expect filthy looks :-)

User Info Menu

Yep OP you're totally screwed... there's no turning back now.

Bwahahahahahahahahaha

User Info Menu

Welcome to the dark side.....!

User Info Menu

I know it has affected me...I can't really enjoy listening to another type of music except for jazz nowadays, and even then it's limited to early jazz till around the 1960s.

User Info Menu

Now on the other hand if you try to bring a metal approach into a Jazz idiom,
    you'll just look and sound like a dickhead.

Perhaps this is really jazz played in a rock rhythm environment. Whatever it is, I like it.
    From an early David Binney recording "The Luxury Of Guessing".
    Ben Monder rock solo at 0:58 approximately.

IMO, with the right players, anything can work.
    For purists, none of it works, cause they know so well how it should be done.

User Info Menu

Monder's Hydra is pretty Metal in places.

When it's not 12-tone Beach Boys, or suddenly haunting American art song.

Quote Originally Posted by bako

Perhaps this is really jazz played in a rock rhythm environment. Whatever it is, I like it.
    From an early David Binney recording "The Luxury Of Guessing".
    Ben Monder rock solo at 0:58 approximately.

IMO, with the right players, anything can work.
    For purists, none of it works, cause they know so well how it should be done.
    Wow that's pretty atonal sounding...But it works for me, and it's a good example of something only being able to work because of the context I think (and of course with the right players like you said); the head is establishing an outside sound right off the bat so there's a lot of breathing room for the solo...I like how he goes from being totally outside at the beginning of the solo to being more and more inside and recognizably in pentatonic minor near the end; very bluesy rock-n-roll ...I might have to sit down and attempt to transcribe/analyze what's happening on this one, if it CAN be analyzed lol.

Happy 4th guys!