Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Posts 176 to 200 of 418

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Carbon Copy - The Inner Urge

joelf Guest
    Many think it my best. (Note: I've changed one lyric in the verse from 'and September turns to may' to the more sensible 'that's the time for us to say'---it's on the edited demo, which I'm too stupid to know how to upload).

Vicki Doney, vcl, Steve Ash, pno Recorded 2006

Shelter has a lyric---it's printed on Melody Messenger, available for purchase:

1. Shelter by joel fass | Free Listening on SoundCloud This isn't the instrumental version from Melody Messenger (somehow deleted from SoundCloud) but a demo for the 1st commercial recording. Good band, nice lady, but I'm not wild over what she did w/it (wrong lyric, wrong melody). She paid me, though...

Your Call is VERY Important To Us... by joel fass | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Ray Macchiarolla going a little crazy in studio on the forthcomoming Joel Fass and Friends Jam for Eddie Diehl (the other tracks are straight ahead swingers or ballads...

You're My Foundation---lyric co-written by Jimmy Norman as payback to the Jazz Foundation of America---is seen here in a JFA PSA video featuring Quincy Jones and the late Dr. John---neither of whom heard of us (well, Dr.John must have know about Jimmy, who wrote lyrics to Time is on My Side and with Bob Marley and Jimi Hendrix. Note 2 things: the singers in the choir are all JFA clients; and the BS story Jimmy tells introducing the song is just that---the idea was MINE, not his to write it for the JFA.

JFA is a musician's charity that has done amazing work for musicians in need. They about saved my life, helped me move---among many other things. And they do them daily for so many of us. To learn more/donate: Jazz Foundation of America

All songs by Joel Fass (c) Exemplar (ASCAP) You're my Foundation co-written w/Jimmy Norman Nude Dude
    Last edited by joelf; 11-15-2019 at 10:46 AM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thank you, Vladan. It's only a long noodle and an experiment really. I re-wrote the 12-bar like this:

C - Am - Bb7 - A7
    Dm - E7 - Am - D7/Ab7
    Dm - Db7 - C/Eb7 - Ab7/G7

The first Dm is an F sub and the second is a G7 sub, so the 'rules' are maintained... I think

User Info Menu

Airship

User Info Menu

Here's an album I released last year. All of the tunes except tracks 3 & 6 are original compositions.

joelf Guest
    Inspiration hit me on the bus back to Philly last night. This may be one of my better lyrics. Def gonna be a waltz w/sing-along chorus:

Rise Joel Fass (C) 2019 Exemplar (ASCAP)

The Sun watched Lazarus rise up again
    One gray and overcast day
    So Lazarus rose, then the sun came out
    To chase the rain and clouds away
    What a wonderful day!

Chorus:
    Rise, Lazarus, rise
    The Sun watched Lazarus rise
    Then rose, himself, to the skies
    Glad to watch Lazarus rise

The Sun saw Jesus being crucified
    And Jesus rose up, then the sun came out
    To chase the rain and clouds away
    What a wonderful day!

Chorus:
    Rise, Jesus, rise
    The Sun watched Jesus rise
    Then rose, himself, to the skies
    Glad to watch Jesus rise

Then the Sun watched the serpent try to rise
    Satan tried to rise, but the Sun locked the skies
    And the rain just fell and fell
    As the devil fell back into hell

Chorus:
    Rise, you Sun, do rise
    To watch for the good and the bad
    The good always gets you glad
    While the malicious just makes you mad

So rise up, mankind, rise
    As the Sun will open the skies
    When mankind has grown to be wise
    And the Sun will be glad----to watch man----kind----rise!

User Info Menu

Hello!
    I'd like to share my first attempt to compose a piece for solo guitar. I was more and more fascinated by this style and finally dare to try. I would really appreciate any comments, what could have been done better as I'm already working on another tune in this fashion

(I have also posted this video in the Showcase area, but now I've found this thread.
    If it shouldn't be doubled, please just delete the thread in Showcase)

User Info Menu

I haven't been writing much lately, but a semi-regular gig and a walk along the Hudson River seem to be getting the juices flowing ...

John

User Info Menu

Cool tune, and nicely played!

User Info Menu

here are two of my compositions from the 80's, chosen and played on two guitars by a forum member. They were written for alto saxophone and guitar, my friend Lionel and I, Sheep

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slusar
    Hello!
    I'd like to share my first attempt to compose a piece for solo guitar.
    CONGRATULATIONS! Very impressive playing!

In addition to all all the work / upgrades / mods you did on the guitar, you have also achieved wonderful tone through the guitar and amp. IMO

What amp are you using? Any effects?

Regards

Dave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greco
    CONGRATULATIONS! Very impressive playing!

In addition to all all the work / upgrades / mods you did on the guitar, you have also achieved wonderful tone through the guitar and amp. IMO

What amp are you using? Any effects?

Regards

Dave
    Many, many thanks! I am really happy You like my playing and tone. Actually there was no amp used here. My rig is optimized to be played in headphones and I record straight in line. In this recording goes like this:
    Guitar -> My DIY pedal, that is supposed to emulate Fender Brownface amp (super easy one) -> Cab Sim from DigiTech RP80 -> Behringer UMC22 interface -> Reverb added in ProTools
    At first attempt I was using also treble boost (DIY as well). It worked nice in the mix with this guitar, but on a solo recording sounds very weak and bottom end was totally missing.

joelf Guest
    Both with music and lyrics by yours truly

Not a Bad November is a 2006 demo with Vicki Doney, vocal; Steve Ash, piano. See if you can detect a recent edit.

Shelter is presented here in the instrumental version from Melody Messenger. One guitar, 3 tracks...

Last edited by joelf; 01-25-2020 at 02:01 PM.

joelf Guest
    I can't upload Shelter. Error message saying 'invalid file'. I think this has something to do with my Windows Media Player having been corrupted somehow. I can't play anything on it, have to open files on the VCL Media Player.

Can someone please help?

User Info Menu

'This app requires Device Admin permissions to work.'

Shelter - Apps on Google Play

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    'This app requires Device Admin permissions to work.'

Shelter - Apps on Google Play
    ? No clue what you're getting at or what that link's about.

But thanks...

joelf Guest
    Got it straightened out! Enjoy:

User Info Menu

Enjoyed "Shelter" very much!
    Thanks for sorting it out how to post it.
    Great ending..."aaahhhhh"!

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Greco
    Enjoyed "Shelter" very much!
    Thanks for sorting it out how to post it.
    Great ending..."aaahhhhh"!
    Thanks. We cleaned up the sound for the final CD cut, but I still sound out of tune----grrr---on this version, and you can hear an edit where I switched to acoustic for what reason I'm sure I don't remember----grrr again.

But we're all our own worst critics...

User Info Menu

Here's a small ballad of mine, that i see as kind of an interlude simple song, good for closing up a live set or gig. Originally written for piano guitar and bass, but performed here with an organ trio.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Here's a small ballad of mine, that i see as kind of an interlude simple song, good for closing up a live set or gig. Originally written for piano guitar and bass, but performed here with an organ trio.
    That’s nice. It could be a nice soul tune with the right lyrics.

User Info Menu

“Norwegian” - jazz quartet with percussion ensembleThis is an original that my band put together and our synth player arranged with the added support of a second vibraphone, marimba, gong, bass drum, and some other pieces.