The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Posts 251 to 275 of 418

User Info Menu

This is my tribute to Jeff Beck, a fusion jam with a heavy dose of da FUNK.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest
    New 1st draft lyric---apologies to my 'co-writers', Shakespeare and Steinbeck

We all know the topic too well...

Winter of our Discontent Joel Fass © 2020 Exemplar (ASCAP)
    V1:It’s May, yet life’s a blanket of snow
    Black isolation, nowhere to go
    What have we done to deserve this descent
    To the Winter of our Discontent?

V2: Was only January, life was full, life was fine
    We laughed, we danced, raised high the stein
    To earn our daily victuals, with a Spring in our step we went
    Then that crasher came: the Winter of our Discontent

Bridge: I love you so, but fear you more
    Will you come in from the cold, bringing death to our door?
    And as you mask your fear of my loving touch
    Again, we ask: ‘How much is too much?

V3: Autumn will come, a gentle smile, and scatter leaves of hope and faith
    But will the branch of a Brandywine Fall, and fell this wraith?
    What season may we finally thank for delivering ascent
    From the Winter of our Discontent?

Last edited by joelf; 04-27-2020 at 10:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Latest effort (in Locrian).

User Info Menu

Here's some old tunes...
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Here's some old tunes...
    Superb compositions and inspired guitar (and piano, oh, ... and sax) work coming right from the centre of the groove. Slick arrangements, wow. Kind of wondering how/where the tracks were recorded...

Great stuff!

joelf Guest
    Here's my Wisdom of the Ages, set in Finale' by my star student, Gabe Preston:
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb300
    This is my tribute to Jeff Beck, a fusion jam with a heavy dose of da FUNK.

Missed this. It's fun.

Just thinking that, according to the rules of the forum, if Reg had posted his stuff in a separate thread, it would get trashed after a month due to lack of reponses. That's screwed up IMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Missed this. It's fun.

Just thinking that, according to the rules of the forum, if Reg had posted his stuff in a separate thread, it would get trashed after a month due to lack of reponses. That's screwed up IMO.
    Thx

... and no biggie on getting trashed, I'm a noob still getting a lay of the land around here.

joelf Guest
    This is from the early '90s---a lush ballad waltz:

joelf Guest
    My student Gabe just gave the Finale' treatment to one of my recent songs. 16 bars, and I couldn't resist writing a couple of soli. So here are lead sheet and chart:

User Info Menu

Uptempo Fusion track inspired by Weather Report & Return to Forever, all instruments performed by myself, thanks for listening.

User Info Menu

this is cool... here's a few more.
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

Sorry, did it again :-)

User Info Menu

Since we are all in the mood ... I already wrote about it in post #31 of this thread
    Our Own Compositions. Post them here!

It is my composition with backing tracks in various stages. Everyone's invited to record over them as long as they let me publish their attempt at "Project" Sound Cloud page.
    Also, they can publish own attempt in anyway they like, as long as they mention my role in it, with link to my Blog, or to my YouTube.

Anyway, I forgot to mention that there are chord sheet and lead sheet of composition.
    You can work directly from those:

- Chords only: https://carcameraclips.webs.com/In%20The%20World.pdf
    - Lead sheet: https://carcameraclips.webs.com/In%2...d%20Chords.pdf
    (Melody was automatically turned into MIDI and notated from my guitar playing by DAW)

Publishing rules are same as above. I publish it on "Project" SoundCloud page, you can do whatever, as long as you mention me with link to my Blog, or to my YouTube.

Here is backing track with pilot melody, for reference:

User Info Menu

Here's my newest record if anyone may like to check it out! All original compositions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Here you are. I haven't bothered with all the rest of it, I'm not going to do anything funny with it....
    Thanks for doing it. Good attempt. Maybe it would be easier if you used backing without pilot melody? I will try to share it on Project page. Maybe you could send me mp3 on e-mail?
    Last edited by Vladan; 05-13-2020 at 06:34 PM.

joelf Guest
    This is my latest. Begun as a tribute to musicians who touched my life, then split---too soon. I, of course, had to widen the net since Covid-19 (actually, it was the passing of an old friend from something else that finally got me to the piano). Then, the murder of George Floyd---all the George Floyds. It's an elegy now for so many people---and principles this nation was professed to be built on.

I scored it for flugelhorn, tenor, piano, bass, drums. It received a (not too great) sneak preview on a streaming solo concert by yours truly a week ago, and will get a proper premiere at a live-streamed concert for Peace, Healing, and Change we're slowly organizing locally in Philly---players and singers. (When my student transcribes the 2 bars I added today to the intro I'll post it). This is the concert score.

Stay tuned for an announcement re that concert...

User Info Menu

Hey.

Pedagogical. Or even for when there is a need...
    I double checked the mistakes but so far, they seem to be clean.

Update your browser to use Google Drive - Google Drive Help

oh. the comment about "*"s - thats a slap. or bang. or whatever you feel like.

The other comment - "nat. (can use scratch or mute strokes instead rests)"

oh. not "rallentando"... "accelerando"

ok. still premature. but the notes should be right

User Info Menu

Joyous music. I'll be listening to this a lot and studying the arrangements. Thank you.

User Info Menu

Here is one of mine that's fairly guitar-heavy.

User Info Menu

40 years ago, my friend Rick told me, a little hippie bluegrass southern rock kid, to go check out this guitar player named Jeff Beck. Me and my other great friend Doug took a bus to NYC and just before the show started, scalped what turned out to be 6th row center (for face value!) (Oh, and, thousands of people there and who do you think I see standing in front of me on concessions line? Yep, Rick!) The show blew me away so much it melted my tie dye. Within a year I was at Berklee in Boston chasing Miles and beyond.

I wrote this years ago thinking of that event where I basically said, for the time being, Adios Senor Garcia and started a journey down another musical path. Rick died in a car accident soon after on 8/12/83. Named my daughter after him, Ricky short for Erica. Unbelievably, found out after that they were born on the same day. He's always here part of my family and musical life. Wonderful human.

Fast forward to 10 years ago, and here I am (proudly) playing Dead again. Through it all though, then and now, in my own music you can still hear my old hippie roots showing through. I guess you can take the boy out of the Jerry, but you can't take the Jerry out of the boy.....

Funny, not funny, still can't solo over it...

Last edited by mmuller; 01-16-2021 at 11:12 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb300
    Great tune, man. Composition, arrangement, and execution all sound great.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mmuller
    40 years ago, my friend Rick told me, a little hippie bluegrass southern rock kid, to go check out this guitar player named Jeff Beck. Me and my other great friend Doug took a bus to NYC and just before the show started, scalped what turned out to be 6th row center (for face value!) (Oh, and, thousands of people there and who do you think I see standing in front of me on concessions line? Yep, Rick!) The show blew me away so much it melted my tie dye. Within a year I was at Berklee in Boston chasing Miles and beyond.

I wrote this years ago thinking of that event where I basically said, for the time being, Adios Senor Garcia and started a journey down another musical path.

Fast forward to 10 years ago, and here I am (proudly) playing Dead again. Through it all though, then and now, in my own music you can still hear my old hippie roots showing through. I guess you can take the boy out of the Jerry, but you can't take the Jerry out of the boy.....

Funny, not funny, still can't solo over it...

I like that, though I'm not sure I hear the Beck influence. Great tune, well executed.

John

User Info Menu