Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 201 to 250 of 295

User Info Menu

Shelter:
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

2 recent songs: Lodestar and Beautiful Losers. (Gotta find a better line in Lodestar that dreary/cheery before performing or recording it. Otherwise, it's OK). Losers is my 1st country song...
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Some more charts, if you have time (gotta admit part of the reason for posting is proof of copyright). If You Please is a vocal I premiered at Smalls this past January 27. Also played The Man Who Cared Too Much and The River Flo that gig, if you want to check the Smalls archive for that date. (Holdin' Back Tears has a lyric, too, but I can't seem to upload Word files here).

Hope you enjoy:

oops, I couldn't find this thread yesterday when I posted mine. Mine is on a separate thread here:

Force - Original composition

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack View Post
    Some more charts, if you have time (gotta admit part of the reason for posting is proof of copyright). If You Please is a vocal I premiered at Smalls this past January 27. Also played The Man Who Cared Too Much and The River Flo that gig, if you want to check the Smalls archive for that date. (Holdin' Back Tears has a lyric, too, but I can't seem to upload Word files here).

Hope you enjoy:
    Just curious: does anyone look at these things?

User Info Menu

Hi I started posting some of my work's, set back health not great

using new Harmonic Rhythms here (to me) Jazz Harmony, melodic side is standard Melodic/Harmonic minor.

This can be played swing even 8ths i wrote this style/genre wanting a less cluttered Harmonic Rhythm, but not Modal as such

can be tricky writing harmony (and swinging) on melody lines with 4 over 3 and 5 over 4 Rhythmic lines
    the Harmonic & Melodic Rhythm must Gel

the melody is Poly Rhythmic in places

sounds complicated, not, Indian Classical players do a lot with 17 22 pulses etc

anyway here we are, I am not playing on this particular piece

Dropbox - My other side 67.mp3

Enjoy
    Regards D

Interesting, and the performance wasn't in the least strained.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack View Post
    (gotta admit part of the reason for posting is proof of copyright).
    Hope you enjoy:

Hi Fasstrack,

if you post a recording say .mp3 or flac wav music file of the recording and post the
    leadsheet like you do is it copyrighted?

You seem concerned as i am . I dont want my material taken/used as it were.

although some stuff i would take my hat off if they could play it well.

User Info Menu

Since my last post was a raging success i thought i would repeat the dosage,

Dropbox - Sangoma v35 Mx Beer Tea.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by Durban View Post
    if you post a recording say .mp3 or flac wav music file of the recording and post the
    leadsheet like you do is it copyrighted?
    I believe not. I looked all this stuff up once and I think the answer's no. The fact that you have a recording of a tune doesn't mean you wrote it.

A favourite trick in the old days was to write it all out, put it in a sealed envelope and post it to yourself. The postmark then showed you had it at that date. Anybody claiming authorship after that was most likely fraudulent. I'm not sure that was legally binding either, as far as I remember. Presumably because they could claim authorship before that date themselves. It's a tricky business.

The only way to do it, if you're serious about it, is to register it properly:

How Do I Copyright My Music? | My Guitar Lessons

UK Copyright Service - UK and International Copyright Registration Centre

(Or the equivalent US office)

User Info Menu

In sense of intellectual property, your music is copyrighted by default, from the moment you created it , it is your. Problem is not in proving the ownership of your own stuff, but rather in proving that what someone else published is not his own creation, but is something stolen from you, or derived from your own creation. Owning the recording helps only if someone is stupid enough to use it, or publish it as is without paying the owner.

VladanMovies BlogSpot
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

User Info Menu

Very nice. Good pictures too.

Moo!

User Info Menu

Thanks, Ragman

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Here's a recent one.
    Rats! I never got to hear it!

FWIW, anything I post here is likely to be done on my ancient minidisc recorder (remember those?) with a beat up SM57 mic, and just chords and melody. Any augemented "reality" will have to be in the minds of the listener.

Just sayin...

@ Dana.
    Heard this and liked it yesterday......should have hit the "like" button then.
    Doesn't take much imagination to hear that with a live band in my head. Very cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    Nowhere, but when someone says how wonderful it is, which is also an opinion, no one seems to object :-)
    What other people do has nothing to do with me.
    Check out my new book, Essential Skills for the Guitarist on Amazon.

User Info Menu

????

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Heres one I've been working on for a while...pardon the extreme reverb

I've just been going through the thread again. This one's really nice, you know. Have you abandoned it now or something else? Just ruminating

User Info Menu

Here's two song of mine. The lyrics are in Indonesian, so forgive me if you guys doesn't understand what the lyrics are. Please, enjoy!

P.S : I'm the one on the right, with that '68 ES 335 that i borrow from my uncle.

User Info Menu

I am a NYC composer guitarist and conductor.
    I've been at it for 50 years so I won't bore you with my experiences.
    Instead I'd like to share a composition for three acoustic guitars and bass.
    I shoot and produce my own videos music. I hope this inspires.

Thanks for watching and listening.

User Info Menu

This is a simple, poppish work in progress. I apologize in advance for my poor playing and the poor quality of the recording made via cellphone. I'm trying to learn, so constructive criticism is welcome. Don't hold back, please.
    songnote2-20180713

Edit: Here is a better (I hope) link:
    Box
    Last edited by strumcat; 07-14-2018 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Better link

Okay, you want an honest reaction. Here goes.

* People don't like downloading stuff from the internet. I took a chance and recorded it so I could avoid storing it on the computer.

* It's fine, very pleasant.

* It sounds like something for acoustic guitar played on an electric guitar.

* It's perfectly well played. Nice delivery, timing's fine, except (to be picky) there may be an extra note in there when you go to the D.

* I'm afraid it's not original. This is a very standard progression. Sort of James Taylor-ish or Ed Sheeran or, in truth, countless others.

* It sounds like the backing to something rather than a piece in itself. Sounds like you're going to start singing any moment.

* Ok, you can play this sort of thing well but there's a discrepancy between the simplicity of the piece and the skill with which you play it. If you can play that nicely then you should probably be tackling something a little more sophisticated.

So, overall reaction -

Well played, but just pleasant rather than attention-grabbing. Totally unoriginal and therefore hardly your 'own composition'! Sounds like a backing rather than an instrumental piece.

Remedies: Put some attitude in it. Don't just play chords with fills. Where's the tune? If it's an instrumental piece it needs a tune and some interesting sounds.

That's the truth. Sorry if it hurts (it's not meant to) but it is like that. Forgive me, but a million amateur guitar players can strum out that stuff in their bedsits.

BUT I don't know how old you are. You may be quite young and just beginning. Nevertheless, take all this on board otherwise you'll just drift along making very nice sounds but not really playing anything interesting.

Sorry, have to be cruel to be kind. And you did ask.

Now, if you're really honest... have I said anything you didn't already know? No, right? So there it is. But you did play it well, no question about that.

For any others who are put off by the download link, it's safe. Pressing the download button just plays it in your default music app. It doesn't download to the computer automatically.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by strumcat View Post
    This is a simple, poppish work in progress. I apologize in advance for my poor playing and the poor quality of the recording made via cellphone. I'm trying to learn, so constructive criticism is welcome. Don't hold back, please.
    songnote2-20180713
    Hey Strumcat, you did good work here. Don't be discouraged by other's misconceptions. I've been a working professional for 30 years in the industry and what I've learned is that everyone is at their own place in the ocean of music. Carry on. You did a positive thing by sharing your work. Continue to refine your idea and prioritize the melody. Listen to your favorite players and emulate what you like about their playing. Study and learn the great themes from classical music. Most of all go out and play music in front of other people so you learn what it is that communicates. Work in solitude with the aim of performing in the world. Congratulations on taking a big step.

User Info Menu

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write a detailed and honest response. I appreciate that very much.

- I will try to find a better place to store recordings so they can be played without downloading.

- I suspected that it might not be original and I'm glad you pointed that out. The last thing I want to do is plagiarize anyone else's stuff. I understand that the simplicity makes it sound like a ton of other things. I freely admit that I'm not musically very sophisticated or educated.

- I'm (honestly) surprised and encouraged that you feel I played it well. I hear some timing problems in the arpeggios particularly. Thank you.

- You're right that it's more suited to an acoustic guitar. To avoid disturbing neighbors I play my Gibson LPJ very quietly or through headphones.

TBH, I expected much worse (especially about the shrill tone in places and effects), and you didn't hurt my feelings at all. It's exactly what I was asking for. Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Wow, that was so nice to read. Very, very encouraging and a good complement to the constructive criticism. You guys on jazzguitar.be are the real deal, real musicians, and that was such a kind message. I will indeed keep trying.

strumcat -

I think most of us have some kind of problem or imperfection when it comes to recording and posting. Doesn't matter really, we can bypass all that when it comes to listening

User Info Menu

This is a simple, poppish work in progress. ...
    Box
    I’d disagree with a couple of previous comments. I think nearly any good tune can be played either acoustic or electric. That’s just an artistic choice. And it’s the melody that determines originality much more than the chord changes — at least the copyright regulators seem to think so! Of course, melody and harmony are tied together, but one can compose many melodies over just about any chord chart.
    So my first impressions:
    You’re playing is good. It has sort of a Mark Knopfler flavor.
    I’m having trouble finding the “one” in the measures. Sometimes rhythmic ambiguity is interesting, but when it’s through a whole tune it can throw the listener off. If you didn’t intend that, you might want to make it a little more clear in the intro and in each repeat when you’ve come to the top.
    I do hear some melody, but it’s more interesting and lyrical in some parts than others. Now that you’ve got something sketched out in your demo, maybe you should try just playing the melody and see if you can develop it into something more compelling. To me “compelling” usually means singable. I’ve read Paul McCartney often used nonsense lyrics while composing melodies to make them more compelling (e.g., “Yesterday” started life as “Scrambled Eggs).
    Also, study some tunes you like looking at forms (AABA, etc.), key modulations, etc. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni Goria View Post
    Here's two song of mine. The lyrics are in Indonesian, so forgive me if you guys doesn't understand what the lyrics are. Please, enjoy!
    P.S : I'm the one on the right, with that '68 ES 335 that i borrow from my uncle.
    Good tune and nice solo (the 2nd one).

User Info Menu

Thanks for the response, really made my day. Here's an attempt at a score of the melody.
    Box
    Not sure how badly I mangled it with Rosegarden/Lilypond since I don't really read. I couldn't figure out how to put a bass clef on the bass part, but added it anyway for context, just playing the root notes. There's an extra measure at the end of the middle part in the recording, containing that little riff, so that might be confusing. The rest of it is pretty straight 4/4, 8 measures per part, except for the intro. The first bass note after the intro is 1. The melody really is very simple and undistinguished, but it's a start I guess.

User Info Menu

This is a simple, poppish work in progress. I apologize in advance for my poor playing and the poor quality of the recording made via cellphone. I'm trying to learn, so constructive criticism is welcome. Don't hold back, please.b
    Nice.
    Could be intro for a vocal pop song.
    There is melody in it, or better said, there are melodies in it. Only we can not know exactly what the melody is.
    All notes are given equal importance, so we can only guess which notes make the melody and which notes are just from playing chords the way you play them.
    Melody I hear is great, but it is my melody, I do not know what melody you had in mind.
    The piece could stand on it's own as a miniature, intermezzo, on an album made of standard pop rock songs.

Are you switching beat on purpose, or you just let the fingers go without counting, or my perception of the beat is too primitive?
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

Strumcat -

Are you still there? I quite like your tune so I decided to tab it out so I could dissect it a bit. Here's what the midi sounds like (don't gasp, it wasn't that difficult!):

Well, the thing is how it scans over the bars. I'm assuming there's a 1 bar pick-up because then the rest of it fits. The whole thing is 24 bars long excluding the pick up. That's 3 lots of 8 which makes sense.

The thing is, if you listen to it, that it starts rather uncertainly, it's not very firm. Also, the start points of phrases aren't always falling on the strong beats; some do, some don't. It's a bit all over the place which is a shame because I think it's got potential.

Sc parts by ragman | Free Listening on SoundCloud

If you could make the start solid and sort of make it more symmetrical then I think it would get a lot better.

All this said, there's no golden rule that says a piece must be symmetrical. Jazz-wise they're written the strangest things. But I think a pop-ish tune like this probably ought to fit the ear, if you see what I mean. But it's your composition so it's up to you. Best of luck with it anyhow.

(See, we do actually care )

User Info Menu

Vladan and ragman1,
    I added some quick and dirty bass and (guitar strings) percussion to delineate the beat and measures a bit better. So basically it's 1 bar lead-in, 8 bars "verse", 8 bars "middle", 1 extra bar riff, and 6 or 7 bars final verse and finish.
    Box

Vladan,
    I have the same problem with hearing more than 1 melody. It's hard to pick just one.

ragman1,
    Yeh, I didn't really make it clear where everything fits. The intro bar and "extra" bar after the middle, as well as the lack of accentuated (or even existing) 1-beat notes made it somewhat confusing. So hopefully it's clearer in the new version. Your midi bit was pretty much right. heh.

User Info Menu

Here's one of mine I wrote thinking of my friend Jose. I built it out of an exercise for major and minor chords.

Vladan and ragman1,
    I added some quick and dirty bass and (guitar strings) percussion to delineate the beat and measures a bit better. So basically it's 1 bar lead-in, 8 bars "verse", 8 bars "middle", 1 extra bar riff, and 6 or 7 bars final verse and finish.
    Well, you've added rhythm but where's the tune? Could you play the tune by itself without the chord fills?

Like I said before, there's no real start to it. Nice pick-up but where does it start? You need a firm A chord/sound at the beginning.

Our Own Compositions. Post them here!-sc-1-jpg

At the moment you have a C#m and no apparent tune. That's the problem. C#m isn't a strong beginning sound. Do you hear that? It makes it sound as though the tune starts at the F#m. That's the first definite sound the ear hears... but it doesn't start there. That's the thing.

Play the tune without the chord fills. Can you record that? Just the tune. You play it, I'll write it!

User Info Menu

Anybody know what this is? I started playing it last night and got up and made a crude recording of it before I forgot it.

Box

User Info Menu

Ok, I'll make a dedicated tune-only track pretty soon. Gotta sleep now.

User Info Menu

Our Own Compositions. Post them here!-sc-1-jpg
    If this is what he plays, you wrote it starting on 2, I hear it as starting on "and of 1", what is correct?
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan View Post
    If this is what he plays, you wrote it starting on 2, I hear it as starting on "and of 1", what is correct?
    You better ask him!

Anybody know what this is? I started playing it last night and got up and made a crude recording of it before I forgot it.

Box
    No idea. A country/folk song? A cowboy film or TV theme?

I do know it definitely has a tune. That's the point, I think, it ought to be singable. Singable stuff stays in the head.

User Info Menu

You better ask him!
    He counted it as from "and of 1", I have no doubt about it. However, I may be wrong. Also, I wonder, maybe that is some kind of usual weird Jazz thing, where something is being written one way, but every real Jazzer knows it should be played differently. Being not a real Jazzer and having no clue about standard ways of notating, such things always leave me double puzzled.

Sent from My Blog Page
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

User Info Menu

Here's one of mine from a few years ago

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan View Post
    He counted it as from "and of 1", I have no doubt about it. However, I may be wrong. Also, I wonder, maybe that is some kind of usual weird Jazz thing, where something is being written one way, but every real Jazzer knows it should be played differently. Being not a real Jazzer and having no clue about standard ways of notating, such things always leave me double puzzled.

Sent from My Blog Page
    In general, I want to be able to feel where the 1 is without needing to be told. That was lacking.

User Info Menu

This is called "Faith Hope and Love

The album is on Spotify and Itunes/Apple Music if you want to hear more. But on the album i use the acoustic guitar. Thanks.
    Harif Santoso on Spotify
    Harif Santoso on Apple Music

User Info Menu

Just Play My Guitar (apenas toque meu violão)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jbromusic View Post
    Here's one of mine from a few years ago
    Great stuff. Needed its own thread.