The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 418

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Uffe Steen
    I heard some of those very fine tunes here.
    I would like to contribute with this original:

Cheers Uffe
    That was loose, meandering (in a good way), and it all hung together. The best part: I would never think to write anything like that. That's what I like about these kinds of threads: listening and learning.

Some talented folks here...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

original composition: Fractals

hb

User Info Menu

Some old mates playing one of my songs a while back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack
    For one thing, he referred to Charlie Parker as a 'composer'...

Improvising, done right IS composing
    Absolutely, I'd go with that. It's not the same as composing, say, a memorable tune but it is composing after a fashion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Absolutely, I'd go with that. It's not the same as composing, say, a memorable tune but it is composing after a fashion.
    Charlie Parker did compose memorable tunes though! My Little Suede Shoes? Yardbird Suite? Who can say it's not memorable? Fantastic!

Everyone is talking Donna Lee or Confirmation or whatever, and it's fine, jazz is the nerds paradise, I got it But it's not all he has done as a composer.

But I agree, a good improvised solo can be counted as composition as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Charlie Parker did compose memorable tunes though! My Little Suede Shoes? Yardbird Suite? Who can say it's not memorable? Fantastic!

Everyone is talking Donna Lee or Confirmation or whatever, and it's fine, jazz is the nerds paradise, I got it But it's not all he has done as a composer.

I didn't mean an improviser couldn't also compose tunes!

User Info Menu

Konitz was talking abouy his PLAYING, that he had a stockpile of ideas, quotes and phrases he could summon and cross-reference at will. His tunes sounded like improvisations to me...

User Info Menu

This is my first composition recorded.

User Info Menu

Awesome, love it! Not many compose in that style anymore. And even less are playing original music at swing dance gigs. That's great, keep at it!

Thanks!!!
    We have a lot to learn and a long way to go, but we're trying.

Most of our audience are swing dancers. We have three dancers in our quartet. xD

User Info Menu

Here are three of mine, one borderline jazz, one not even close one that sort of bridges the divide

My Baby is an Eco-tourist by John Albin | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Black Dog At My Door by John Albin | Free Listening on SoundCloud

John

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Not sure if this is meant to be tunes we're working on, or already completed and recorded pieces...

But here's a tune I wrote that ended up being the title track off my last album

User Info Menu

I heard some of those very fine tunes here.
    I would like to contribute with this original:

Cheers Uffe
    This is great man... almost reminds me of some Wayne Shorter type stuff. Not that I don't love your playing, but I'd love to hear this arranged for, and performed by, a small ensemble. Any chance you got Herbie and Wayne's numbers??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordanklemons
    This is great man... almost reminds me of some Wayne Shorter type stuff. Not that I don't love your playing, but I'd love to hear this arranged for, and performed by, a small ensemble. Any chance you got Herbie and Wayne's numbers??
    So nice of you to comment, Jordan. Thanks :-)
    You are such a skilled player.
    I actual performing my original stuff often with a trio. Also this tune.
    Im a little in doubt what kind of numbers refering to those giants you mean?

User Info Menu

So nice of you to comment, Jordan. Thanks :-)
    You are such a skilled player.
    I actual performing my original stuff often with a trio. Also this tune.
    Im a little in doubt what kind of numbers refering to those giants you mean?
    Phone numbers Uffe... phone numbers

I'd love to hear you play with a trio sometime. Are there videos or recordings anywhere?

User Info Menu

Sitting back enjoying so many of these...

Fuzz, that tone, those bends...dang.

Uffe...beautifully challenging melody, brilliant clang of open strings

Ragman, bee music, so peaceful, gentle

Jordan, my goodness, I live that agrestive distorted tone, and the arrangement is just killer.

John, the kind of groove (don't wanna say smooth, but it is) jazz I love. Could listen to that all Sunday and any day.

Cleb...old school! Love that sound...and you play a kingpin, so you're obviously smart...

I'm sure I missed a few, and that's just this page. Time to pour an IPA (Solemn Oath SnagLe tooth bandanna) and listen more...

I'll get in too, a tune I wrote a few years back...tried to remember it this afternoon, as I hadn't played it in ages...

User Info Menu

I'm enjoying, discovering and getting inspired by a lot of posts on this thread! Thanks a lot!
    Here's my contribution, a song that although not a straightforward jazz tune, was born from my desire to play jazz. It's all autoproduced. The Spanish title doesn't mean anything, it's just a bunch of grammatical nonsense that is as disorganized as the structure of the song itself
    Last edited by amagras; 04-29-2017 at 11:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzthebee
    Cool tune, Jordan! I have a "nerd" question - with the polyrhythmic thing going on, did you notate that in 3/4, or as triplets in 4 (12/8).
    Thanks fuzz.

As for the polyrhythmic thing, is there a particular section you're referring to? Or just the overall thing?

I think there's a sort of metric modulation in here at some point. That's why I'm asking.

But I chose to notate the entire thing in just one time sig anyway.

I'd originally wrote the whole thing out in 6/8 thinking that would be the easiest way to conceive of the tune. I showed it the guy I was studying arranging with at the time and he was like, "Yeah this is cool, now you need to go and re-write the whole thing out in 3/4... if you want anybody to be able to read this without hours of rehearsing."

He was right. The melody plays and accents the syncopated '&' constantly. And in 6/8, those get notated out with 16th notes. It was a mess. It looked so visually confusing. It took a ridiculous number of hours to rewrite, as the score was about 50 pages. But now it's all 8th notes. So much easier to read. Still took a bit to work out the kinks, but surprisingly my guys nailed it with relatively little rehearsal. Those guys had some serious reading chops. It was awesome.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordanklemons
    Not sure if this is meant to be tunes we're working on, or already completed and recorded pieces...

But here's a tune I wrote that ended up being the title track off my last album
    I loved every bit of it .
    Composition,arrangement and your guitar sound stood out perfect with the horns.

User Info Menu

Just out!

ddtrio | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pkirk
    nice, everybody. I enjoyed these.

I don't compose much these days, but here's a blues head/groove from 2007

https://youtu.be/Dacm5yz9Gnk

not much of a composition, but I liked the "one chorus solo" approach. I got a bit carried away with the FX unit.

if you have the patience and want to hear a jazz example, here's a link to a recording I did with that quintet of all original compositions
    Watercourse Records: (x)tet
    the tune "song two" is another one I wrote. (I'm not sure how to post the track here directly, and I've lost the files...).
    Uao! Sounds good

User Info Menu

I forgot this for solo classical guitar

User Info Menu

The probable shape of our Universe is the Poincarré's Dodécahédron

User Info Menu

That's a really nice tune, Jeff. Is that unplugged?

John

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

This one's with its section of narrative (part of a larger piece).

The music behind the narrative alludes to another song in the work, whereas the song here is performed as an acoustic trio of trombone, double bass and rhythm guitar plus vocal:
    Last edited by destinytot; 05-02-2017 at 05:14 AM.

User Info Menu

From an open-mic back a couple of years. Forgive the poor recording quality, please.