Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 150 of 281

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Tandoori;781905]
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Well, I skimmed through the stuff above sorry for repetition or stating the obvious, but for 4 on 3 (which I confess is not a rhythm I have used) I would start with subdivision.

Divide the 3/4 bar into 16th notes:: I would not start 16ths ,

Christian glad to see youre interested , good boy,

Without sounding rude, You are over complicating it i know what you trying to do.

here goes

A. Two 2 beats each a dotted crotchet in 3/4 makes each beat 1 1/2 X 2 = 3 beats

B. divide each beat 1.5 into half makes 2 dotted quavers per dotted crotchet so now 4 dotted quavers per bar gives you 4 beats over three all the same

The hard part is
    A. reading it if not familiar
    B. Conceptualizing it @first

This is actually pretty easy to play. it is really a feel, trust me if you start thinking it can be difficult.
    So the trick is to understand what is is then just kind of feel it, Just do it

Bill Evans played a lot in 3/4 he does this all over, you know it when you hear it........
    he sometimes plays 4/4 right across 3/4 and instead of resolving notes he resolves the rhythm
    if this makes sense, and you kinda go hell thats was neat, but not really knowing what it was kinda thing

Tilting...... In bars 2, 9, 29 & 30 of my image pic, this is 4 over 3 in bar 29 & 30 it is very complicated syncopated but easy to play,

possibly why Ragman mentioned the backing, with a Real pianist who can play this is no problem,
    but a problem is if the backing (non adjustable) is playing syncopated chords it can throw things.

4 over 3 is a beautiful rythm and piano should be just on one if at all, because it is a complex poly rthmy
    but thats how it sounds. Ragman if listening thats what it is, and thx for hearing that, i am working on
    that,

I'm pretty sure I've seen 4 on 3 in a few charts - IIRC there's one in the Real Book? I am sure there is cant recall at mo.
    I'll have you know I make an excellent Daal.

Anyway. I kind of see what you mean... I can see that you could get a bit of a crossed feel with the straight 16ths over the swung feel, so to speak. As I say it's not a rhythm I've played around with too much, but I think it would be a great one to loosen up my 3/4 phrasing a bit.

In general I would work on subdivisions to get everything as accurate as possible before relaxing somewhat as the rhythm becomes more intuitive. I'd do this for pretty much anything. Otherwise, I might not actually be executing the rhythm correctly. But different people work in different ways.

I'm not saying this in your case, but 'just feel it' can be an excuse for executing things inaccurately. My experience has been that swing comes from relaxed accuracy. Mere accuracy can be stiff and possibly rush, but mere relaxation can drag and be rhythmically formless.

However you find helps you get to both, it's worth separating out the intuitive thing that happens in actual music and the highly exacting narrow practice you need to equip yourself with the tools to do it. I personally need to understand the rhythm before I execute it. Of course the aim is that both rhythms can be felt one over the other at the same time - there's not just one way to acheive this.

(I'm talking about my own process here)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Tufnel's tune may have been sad and in Dm, but the song's working title was....

User Info Menu

I'm sure I'm breaking all sorts of protocols by posting this; style-wise, sound-wise, recording-quality wise, but here goes. More funk than jazz, more jazz than rock, welcome to my weird musical brain. Also not sure if the file is attaching...
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

Heres one I've been working on for a while...pardon the extreme reverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythmisking
    I'm sure I'm breaking all sorts of protocols by posting this; style-wise, sound-wise, recording-quality wise, but here goes. More funk than jazz, more jazz than rock, welcome to my weird musical brain. Also not sure if the file is attaching...

Can you host on Sound cloud or do a YouTube thing? Folks are generally wary of downloading stuff here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Can you host on Sound cloud or do a YouTube thing? Folks are generally wary of downloading stuff here.
    Right! Rookie move, sorry.

User Info Menu

Maybe this is better?

Egeria by Paul Strom | ReverbNation

I'm sure I'm breaking all sorts of protocols by posting this; style-wise, sound-wise, recording-quality wise, but here goes.
    You're not doing any such thing. It's an open jazz forum and this thread is for your own compositions. Of course, if you don't want to mix with the riff-raff* there's always the SHOWCASE thread for world-class level jazz players... or even better than that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    You're not doing any such thing. It's an open jazz forum and this thread is for your own compositions. Of course, if you don't want to mix with the riff-raff* there's always the SHOWCASE thread for world-class level jazz players... or even better than that!
    The riff-raff are my tribe!

You are duly pardoned.

Actually I really liked that. I wasn't sure at first then, as it went on, I began to enjoy it; it kind of floated along and took you with it. It's subtle, it may have repetitions but it wasn't repetitive. Clever - but I'd expect that from you anyway. So there.

Btw, as we're here, I've been meaning to ask you if you'd have a go at Caravan sometime. I want to see what you make of it. I think it's tricky but you might make mincemeat of it, I don't know

User Info Menu

I made a soundcloud page, hopefully this is easier...

User Info Menu

You are duly pardoned.

Actually I really liked that. I wasn't sure at first then, as it went on, I began to enjoy it; it kind of floated along and took you with it. It's subtle, it may have repetitions but it wasn't repetitive. Clever - but I'd expect that from you anyway. So there.

Btw, as we're here, I've been meaning to ask you if you'd have a go at Caravan sometime. I want to see what you make of it. I think it's tricky but you might make mincemeat of it, I don't know
    Man, I've beer trying for a month...I can't get anywhere with it. I even put it in E...F/E...E7b9...went all Spanish...

How can a song with such a cool A section have the corniest B section ever?

User Info Menu

I made a soundcloud page, hopefully this is easier...

Man, I love it! It's jazzy, it's fusiony, it reminds me a little of Phish (from me, that's a compliment)...very cool knotty little tune.

Man, I've beer trying for a month
    Is that one of those Freudian slips? :-)

But seriously... it's not entirely un-Bossa given the 7b5s and 69s but when you start improvising it doesn't come over that way, it's more modern/avant-gard. It's like it has that bossa flavour but isn't held by it. Which is good, I think, because it means you're not thinking rigidly within a certain style or format.

I didn't mind at all that the A and B flowed into each other. It was less obvious than 'That was A, now this is B'.

I think only once did my ears prick up. At 2.15 you hit an obvious dom7 sound which, up till then, wasn't that audible. Maybe that was a bit corny in the total context, but that's all.

No, I liked it, and I liked the improv a lot too. Lifted it out of the realm of the ordinary. It's a good tune. Needs a name :-)

User Info Menu

Yes, Caravan. Can't get that one rolling, "beer trying" or not

Right now, I like my tune. It needs a name...it's pretty representative of how I'm hearing things now...simple melodies with interesting chords.

I'm working on a tune now that repeats the same 4 bar melody 4 times, but harmonizes it differently each pass through...I'll post that one as soon as I figure out how I'm getting back to the top

Yes, Caravan. Can't get that one rolling, "beer trying" or not
    You're not the only one. I keep saying it's tricky.

How can a song with such a cool A section have the corniest B section ever?
    Well, that's the thing. Given the extended exotic verse what do you do over the bridge? If that had been 'Arabic' too it wouldn't have been a jazz tune. Not properly anyway.

So they had to think of something else. And I think it's really clever. The chords are dom7s and they played that 6th sound over them. Sounds open, like the desert at night when you're resting and looking up at the stars... That's the way I see it and I like it!

Right now, I like my tune. It needs a name...it's pretty representative of how I'm hearing things now...simple melodies with interesting chords.
    I still like it. Even if it's not Caravan

I'm working on a tune now that repeats the same 4 bar melody 4 times, but harmonizes it differently each pass through...I'll post that one as soon as I figure out how I'm getting back to the top
    Looking forward to that.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Here are C and Bb PDFs for Diehlin':
    Attached Images Attached Images Our Own Compositions. Post them here!-diehlin-concert-jpg Our Own Compositions. Post them here!-diehlin-bb-jpg 

User Info Menu

Shelter:
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

2 recent songs: Lodestar and Beautiful Losers. (Gotta find a better line in Lodestar that dreary/cheery before performing or recording it. Otherwise, it's OK). Losers is my 1st country song...
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Some more charts, if you have time (gotta admit part of the reason for posting is proof of copyright). If You Please is a vocal I premiered at Smalls this past January 27. Also played The Man Who Cared Too Much and The River Flo that gig, if you want to check the Smalls archive for that date. (Holdin' Back Tears has a lyric, too, but I can't seem to upload Word files here).

Hope you enjoy:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack
    Some more charts, if you have time (gotta admit part of the reason for posting is proof of copyright). If You Please is a vocal I premiered at Smalls this past January 27. Also played The Man Who Cared Too Much and The River Flo that gig, if you want to check the Smalls archive for that date. (Holdin' Back Tears has a lyric, too, but I can't seem to upload Word files here).

Hope you enjoy:
    Just curious: does anyone look at these things?

User Info Menu

Our Own Compositions. Post them here!-file-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack
    (gotta admit part of the reason for posting is proof of copyright).
    Hope you enjoy:

Hi Fasstrack,

if you post a recording say .mp3 or flac wav music file of the recording and post the
    leadsheet like you do is it copyrighted?

You seem concerned as i am . I dont want my material taken/used as it were.

although some stuff i would take my hat off if they could play it well.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I've just been going through the thread again. This one's really nice, you know. Have you abandoned it now or something else? Just ruminating

User Info Menu

Here's two song of mine. The lyrics are in Indonesian, so forgive me if you guys doesn't understand what the lyrics are. Please, enjoy!

P.S : I'm the one on the right, with that '68 ES 335 that i borrow from my uncle.

User Info Menu

I am a NYC composer guitarist and conductor.
    I've been at it for 50 years so I won't bore you with my experiences.
    Instead I'd like to share a composition for three acoustic guitars and bass.
    I shoot and produce my own videos music. I hope this inspires.

Thanks for watching and listening.

User Info Menu

Here's one of mine I wrote thinking of my friend Jose. I built it out of an exercise for major and minor chords.

Quote Originally Posted by strumcat
    Vladan and ragman1,
    I added some quick and dirty bass and (guitar strings) percussion to delineate the beat and measures a bit better. So basically it's 1 bar lead-in, 8 bars "verse", 8 bars "middle", 1 extra bar riff, and 6 or 7 bars final verse and finish.
    Well, you've added rhythm but where's the tune? Could you play the tune by itself without the chord fills?

Like I said before, there's no real start to it. Nice pick-up but where does it start? You need a firm A chord/sound at the beginning.

Our Own Compositions. Post them here!-sc-1-jpg

At the moment you have a C#m and no apparent tune. That's the problem. C#m isn't a strong beginning sound. Do you hear that? It makes it sound as though the tune starts at the F#m. That's the first definite sound the ear hears... but it doesn't start there. That's the thing.

Play the tune without the chord fills. Can you record that? Just the tune. You play it, I'll write it!

User Info Menu

Our Own Compositions. Post them here!-sc-1-jpg
    If this is what he plays, you wrote it starting on 2, I hear it as starting on "and of 1", what is correct?

User Info Menu

Here's one of mine from a few years ago

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jbromusic
    Here's one of mine from a few years ago
    Great stuff. Needed its own thread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Great stuff. Needed its own thread.
    thanks for checking the music out Peter!

User Info Menu

Here is one I wrote about what is in store for us ...

Note: It is NOT about who you think it is, just the opposite...

User Info Menu

some real good example of Jump Jazz

User Info Menu

Hi, I've spent most of my guitar time (on and off for year long stretches) making up things, and only now started to study and learn a bit - I went for jazz (that's why I'm here now). Here's a tune I did on chemo two years ago, so maybe chemo isn't so bad It's not jazz but maybe there's something jazz like in it? Dunno

here's another, way older one

Twilight Blue by Gonorreo | ReverbNation

I'm having a lot of fun listening through all the previous posts on this thread, lots of diversity, some of them blew me away!

Sorry to have been absent for a while. Some really great music on here! So nice to see

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Papawooly
    Here is one I wrote about what is in store for us ...

Note: It is NOT about who you think it is, just the opposite...

Really lovely song, (I have no idea what the words mean) i dont think that matters,
    now keep it simple DO NOT JAZZify

cool vocals, certainly has something, It needs arranging ( nothing bad) everything does
    i thought i heard bass coming in at one point, it reminds me of early 70s Shaun Phillips. Tim Buckley,
    early Elvis Costello, talking vocal delivery obviously not poppy

I would tighten it up, put a pinch more groove in sorry cant find words, @ mo, it's very floaty (good) maybe
    at end of phrases and beginning, dont play too much .

Very good, also no drums & bass as such is nice, 99% music today is looped crap.

Keep going Papa, i think it is actually quite commercial ( thats not a bad thing, essentially means its marketable)

Dont take my references to heart, it just made me think of those kind of people. I listened to it 4 times.

User Info Menu

Great review that last one!

User Info Menu

Wow, lots of folks writing stuff! Very cool. I forgot that one of mine is out on the interwebs via my former quintet. This is a "warts and all" studio recording- live, no corrections or overdubs. On the site, click on "OT Blues" which is the original I composed for the band.

(Played on my Cushman archtop, made by forum member Matt Cushman with Kent Armstrong floating PAF, AI Clarus head, either a Redstone RS 8" or a RE 12"- from the tone as I hear it, probably the former.)

Optimum Trajectory | ReverbNation

User Info Menu

I posted a tune a while back in a separate thread in this subforum and for some reason it has disappeared...
    Last edited by Peter C; 12-07-2019 at 12:13 PM.

I'm sure it's not a plot. Can't you just post it again?

Cunamara

Nice one!

User Info Menu

Nothing here
    Last edited by Peter C; 12-07-2019 at 12:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Cunamara

Nice one!
    Thanks, man!

User Info Menu

Nothing here either
    Last edited by Peter C; 12-07-2019 at 12:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Just checked out the whole thread again - unfortunately some tunes have been pulled. Ragman, no more "Lost Balloon"? - come on!

There's some great blowing on a lot of these tracks but as this is about composition, I'd just like to express my appreciation of the below for pushing the envelope one way or another. This stuff is priceless IMO.

Thank you

(jordanklemons This City #120 received quite a lot of deserved attention)
    Last edited by Peter C; 05-13-2019 at 06:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Only 4 likes? I find it beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by rictroll
    I'm loving the submissions so far!
    here's one...