Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 100 of 256
  1. #51

    User Info Menu

    ^^^
    i don't want to overthink it. I've had stuff sitting on Soundcloud doing nothing for a long time. None of it is polished. It's just novelty music.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #52

    User Info Menu

    Good stuff everybody, after this post I'll go back to page 2 to continue listening. On my YT channel, sound cloud and bandcamp, there's a number of my originals. They are all what, at some time, I considered "B choice". Hopefully, I'll start posting "A choice" some time soon, but that means nothing, A vs. B, since I could never get it right what the people would prefer.

    I see non - jazz - midi - techno - stuff being posted on this thread, so here it goes and more will come:

    I made this on Propellerhead's Rebirth (TR 808/909/ TB 303 soft clone) back in 1999-2000,

    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

  4. #53

    User Info Menu

    ^^^
    It's about time someone posted some polka psy-trance. This grabbed me right away.

  5. #54
    To be honest, I was really hoping that we'd get composing new things just for the thread, probably jazz. But, per the header, that takes time. But we're still doing great. There's some brilliant stuff out there.

  6. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol View Post
    Fine. I won't post anymore of my stupid music.
    Whoa, steady on! You forget this:

    Our Own Compositions. Post them here!

    (That's supposed to be a link to post #22)

    You just sounded a bit disinterested, is all.

    I'm not worried about derailing. This is for sharing our own stuff. The site is called Jazz Guitar Online but there's room for everyone.

    No, I just thought we might think in terms of new stuff, this place providing a chance to show it. I mean, even you say your music is just sitting on Soundcloud doing nothing, right?

  7. #56

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol View Post
    You wouldn't happen to know a guy named Joel Perry would you?
    Sure. Known him forever, and have been on his radio show at Fairleigh Dickinson...

  8. #57

    User Info Menu

    Ok, as far as I'm concerned this is JAZZ, on guitar. I named it In The World Project.
    Following clip is final stage, complete tune, as I imagined it was at the time.
    Please be sure to read explanation below the clip.



    The music it self is based on one old pop rock song of mine.
    I offered the music and the recording in various stages of formation, even here on this forum, proposing free use to anybody interested, even in commercial pourposes, no obligations, except to mention the source and possibly give the link to my clips and/ or pages and let me post their efforts on my pages, with, or without monetization, as you like it.
    Not many participated, Oilywrag was the only one from here, I think, and one other guy from one other forum.

    Nevertheless, here are:
    1. Blog page: VladanMovies & CCC - Car Camera Clips: Community project: In The World
    2. Youtube Playlist, with all stages: Community Project: In The World - YouTube
    3. Soundcloud, audio only, all stages + efforts by other people:
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

  9. #58

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack View Post
    Sure. Known him forever, and have been on his radio show at Fairleigh Dickinson...
    He was my teacher back around 77. I've had maybe 10 lessons. 7-8 were with him.

  10. #59

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    Whoa, steady on! You forget this:

    Our Own Compositions. Post them here!

    (That's supposed to be a link to post #22)

    You just sounded a bit disinterested, is all.

    I'm not worried about derailing. This is for sharing our own stuff. The site is called Jazz Guitar Online but there's room for everyone.

    No, I just thought we might think in terms of new stuff, this place providing a chance to show it. I mean, even you say your music is just sitting on Soundcloud doing nothing, right?
    I've never made a digital recording of guitar. It's like a phobia but I'll get around to it sooner or later. I just want to get off the computer music now and go make some noise with other people.
    No, I wasn't disinterested.
    Jazz will always be there so I'll see what's up in Vegas. Just got here.
    I was pulling your leg.

  11. #60
    Okay, guys, terrific.

    I'm sorry you've got a phobia, Stevebol, there's certainly nothing wrong with your music! I agree using the computer is nothing compared to jamming with other responsive musos. To be honest, every track I make takes literally hours sometimes but I persevere because it's a relief when it's over... I mean, that's why they invented engineers, right?

    No, anything goes here, old ones, new ones, anything that we've done. Because it's ours and we did it. I just had the idea having a place to post stuff might encourage people to write, that's all. I'm trying to get my ass off the ground into something as we speak.

    (Don't tell Vladan, but I like his site too. You get free musical trips to Italy...)

  12. #61

    User Info Menu

    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

  13. #62

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol View Post
    He was my teacher back around 77. I've had maybe 10 lessons. 7-8 were with him.
    Great guy. We go back to '82, when we both played the West End with Percy France.

    I'm sure he's playing my CD on his show, and I appreciate the hell out of that...

  14. #63

    User Info Menu

    Don't want to spam too much but forum members might enjoy this one from the Hot Club of Jupiter album which features Nigel Price on guitar.

    The Ajani used to be a hip jazz and food place, sadly now closed. The tune itself very simple, purpose designed as a gypsy jazz jam session number.


  15. #64

    User Info Menu

    Also from 2011 and once again abandoned due to "elevator music" infection.

    Last edited by Philco; 04-18-2017 at 07:39 PM.

  16. #65

    User Info Menu

    Here's a recent one. Kind of a smooth jazz thingy.....

    Last edited by Dana; 04-18-2017 at 08:20 PM.
    Check out my new book, Essential Skills for the Guitarist on Amazon.

  17. #66

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by fep View Post
    I think you have a hit there, all with that dog.
    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

  18. #67
    Thank god the dog wasn't singing along, they like to do that...

    My nightmare is the ice cream van... always turns up just when...

  19. #68

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Philco View Post
    Also from 2011 and once again abandoned due to "elevator music" infection.

    That was sweet man. Couldn't decide whether that was Larry Carlton or George Benson.

  20. #69

    User Info Menu

    I heard some of those very fine tunes here.
    I would like to contribute with this original:



    Cheers Uffe
    Last edited by Uffe Steen; 04-20-2017 at 06:05 AM.

  21. #70

    User Info Menu

    I can't remember if I posted this before or not but there's no harm in posting it again, so here it is - my attempt to write a tune in the style of Jimmy Bryant -
    Spiderman needs no fancy suit or gadgets plus he's a jazz guitar fan

  22. #71

    User Info Menu

    BTW - my wife and I caught Mike Stern at the 55 bar on Monday (he's up and playing again folks), gave this review:

    'He reminds me of the log lady from Twin Peaks. If the log lady played the guitar, that's what it would sound like.'

    Anyway I think that was a good thing, cos she insisted on staying for the second set.

    Anyway definitely hearing the Stern in your playing Fuzz :-)

  23. #72
    I don't like Mike Stern. I don't like the echo-y sound and I think his tunes are boring. I went to a show once in Brighton before I knew what it was about. Famous jazz guitarist, I thought, this'll be great! It wasn't. I left.

    Right, that's my miserable negative post of the day over with :-)

    If only Mike Stern had played like FUZZTHEBEE I'd have had a party


    P.S. He can play very fast, though, I'll give him that

  24. #73

    User Info Menu

    original composition,in tribute to Vinicius de Moraes
    HB


  25. #74

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    I don't like Mike Stern. I don't like the echo-y sound and I think his tunes are boring. I went to a show once in Brighton before I knew what it was about. Famous jazz guitarist, I thought, this'll be great! It wasn't. I left.

    Right, that's my miserable negative post of the day over with :-)

    If only Mike Stern had played like FUZZTHEBEE I'd have had a party


    P.S. He can play very fast, though, I'll give him that
    The missus cares not for your opinions.

  26. #75

    User Info Menu

    In the spirit of the thread let's just post our songs.
    This is like an old-school master class. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it. The point of master classes used to be to listen carefully and point out positives.

  27. #76

    User Info Menu

    What a great thread, so much Music here, my favourite is The Lost Balloon from Ragman which has someithing in it that keeps me listening. Maybe I'm still childish...

    And my penny in the fountain:

  28. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    What a great thread, so much Music here, my favourite is The Lost Balloon from Ragman which has something in it that keeps me listening. Maybe I'm still childish...
    Czesc, Tomek. I've looked at SLOW music and it's all very professional so a mention from you is appreciated.

    And I hope you are still childish! We can lose it so easily...

  29. #78

    User Info Menu

    Some music from an old VHS movie with somewhat Jazzy smell (video in this clip is completely NOT related to that movie) ...

    ^ ^ ^
    <<< My BlogSpot Page >>>
    v v v

  30. #79

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    Hello All -

    You might think I'm just 'liking' everything here to boost the thread and give lots of encouragement, etc etc, but actually I'm blown away by the sheer quality of nearly all these posts. There are truly some great musicians around!

    I was just wondering what really is the difference between what the pro's do and what you're obviously capable of. Is it just publicity and exposure? Or they play faster sometimes (!), or their tunes are more memorable? Much of the time they're not their tunes, of course, they've been composed by someone else.

    In some cases they're evidently displaying highly advanced musicianship, especially the more modern players, but that's not always so. And the advanced, developed players aren't always the more popular.

    I don't know what you think about this. Are we really so far behind or is it just a question of fortune and dedication? Bearing in mind that many of the best have crashed so badly? Is our relative anonymity actually a blessing? What do you think?
    Art Farmer is the only musician I ever heard say publicly that he was NOT a composer (except, of course, that he WAS. He composed to me on a high level every solo).

    I think you can really spot the player/composers. Their improvising seems to be more focused, better edited and more purposeful---at least to me. Everybody has licks and pet phrases, of course---but, if used right, that's VOCABULARY. I recommend a book of interviews with Lee Konitz, a very astute commentator, and justifiably so, on improvisation. For one thing, he referred to Charlie Parker as a 'composer'---just what I was saying, he had a stockpile of ideas he kept reshaping---plus the ability to play anything that came into his head instantly.

    I won't pile into the 'fortune' piece. Life is tough, and the good die young---but not always. Tom Harrell is an inspiration on so many levels, with all he's had to deal with---and talk about a player/composer!! But look at how many years he's been at it. Recordings were uncovered of him playing the Guaraldi 'Peanuts' music at 16! You have to keep at it.

    In pop music, there used to be professional songwriters (Goffin-King; Neil Sedaka, Bacharach-David, etc) who wrote for all the 'name' acts.That all changed in the era of Dylan, Beatles, Joni Mitchell, etc. Even Stevie Wonder did mostly other people's tunes until he blossomed into the master writer he is.

    It's not NECESSARY to compose, but I believe it helps. Improvising, done right IS composing. So Mr. Farmer was, methinks, too hard on himself...
    Last edited by fasstrack; 04-22-2017 at 08:41 PM.

  31. #80

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Uffe Steen View Post
    I heard some of those very fine tunes here.
    I would like to contribute with this original:



    Cheers Uffe
    That was loose, meandering (in a good way), and it all hung together. The best part: I would never think to write anything like that. That's what I like about these kinds of threads: listening and learning.

    Some talented folks here...

  32. #81
    joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack View Post
    Beautiful composition, mood and sensitive playing. Loved it...
    Thank you very much!

  33. #82

    User Info Menu

    original composition: Fractals


    hb

  34. #83

    User Info Menu

    Some old mates playing one of my songs a while back.


  35. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack View Post
    For one thing, he referred to Charlie Parker as a 'composer'...

    Improvising, done right IS composing
    Absolutely, I'd go with that. It's not the same as composing, say, a memorable tune but it is composing after a fashion.

  36. #85

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    Absolutely, I'd go with that. It's not the same as composing, say, a memorable tune but it is composing after a fashion.
    Charlie Parker did compose memorable tunes though! My Little Suede Shoes? Yardbird Suite? Who can say it's not memorable? Fantastic!

    Everyone is talking Donna Lee or Confirmation or whatever, and it's fine, jazz is the nerds paradise, I got it But it's not all he has done as a composer.

    But I agree, a good improvised solo can be counted as composition as well.

  37. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive View Post
    Charlie Parker did compose memorable tunes though! My Little Suede Shoes? Yardbird Suite? Who can say it's not memorable? Fantastic!

    Everyone is talking Donna Lee or Confirmation or whatever, and it's fine, jazz is the nerds paradise, I got it But it's not all he has done as a composer.

    But I agree, a good improvised solo can be counted as composition as well.
    I didn't mean an improviser couldn't also compose tunes!

  38. #87

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive View Post
    Charlie Parker did compose memorable tunes though! My Little Suede Shoes? Yardbird Suite? Who can say it's not memorable? Fantastic!

    Everyone is talking Donna Lee or Confirmation or whatever, and it's fine, jazz is the nerds paradise, I got it But it's not all he has done as a composer.

    But I agree, a good improvised solo can be counted as composition as well.
    Konitz was talking abouy his PLAYING, that he had a stockpile of ideas, quotes and phrases he could summon and cross-reference at will. His tunes sounded like improvisations to me...

  39. #88

    User Info Menu

    This is my first composition recorded.


  40. #89

    User Info Menu


  41. #90

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by clebergf View Post
    This is my first composition recorded.

    Awesome, love it! Not many compose in that style anymore. And even less are playing original music at swing dance gigs. That's great, keep at it!

  42. #91

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive View Post
    Awesome, love it! Not many compose in that style anymore. And even less are playing original music at swing dance gigs. That's great, keep at it!

    Thanks!!!
    We have a lot to learn and a long way to go, but we're trying.

    Most of our audience are swing dancers. We have three dancers in our quartet. xD

  43. #92

    User Info Menu

    Here are three of mine, one borderline jazz, one not even close one that sort of bridges the divide



    My Baby is an Eco-tourist by John Albin | Free Listening on SoundCloud

    Black Dog At My Door by John Albin | Free Listening on SoundCloud

    John

    Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

  44. #93

    User Info Menu

    Not sure if this is meant to be tunes we're working on, or already completed and recorded pieces...

    But here's a tune I wrote that ended up being the title track off my last album

  45. #94

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Uffe Steen View Post
    I heard some of those very fine tunes here.
    I would like to contribute with this original:



    Cheers Uffe
    This is great man... almost reminds me of some Wayne Shorter type stuff. Not that I don't love your playing, but I'd love to hear this arranged for, and performed by, a small ensemble. Any chance you got Herbie and Wayne's numbers??

  46. #95

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jordanklemons View Post
    This is great man... almost reminds me of some Wayne Shorter type stuff. Not that I don't love your playing, but I'd love to hear this arranged for, and performed by, a small ensemble. Any chance you got Herbie and Wayne's numbers??
    So nice of you to comment, Jordan. Thanks :-)
    You are such a skilled player.
    I actual performing my original stuff often with a trio. Also this tune.
    Im a little in doubt what kind of numbers refering to those giants you mean?

  47. #96

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Uffe Steen View Post
    So nice of you to comment, Jordan. Thanks :-)
    You are such a skilled player.
    I actual performing my original stuff often with a trio. Also this tune.
    Im a little in doubt what kind of numbers refering to those giants you mean?
    Phone numbers Uffe... phone numbers

    I'd love to hear you play with a trio sometime. Are there videos or recordings anywhere?

  48. #97

    User Info Menu

    Sitting back enjoying so many of these...

    Fuzz, that tone, those bends...dang.

    Uffe...beautifully challenging melody, brilliant clang of open strings

    Ragman, bee music, so peaceful, gentle

    Jordan, my goodness, I live that agrestive distorted tone, and the arrangement is just killer.

    John, the kind of groove (don't wanna say smooth, but it is) jazz I love. Could listen to that all Sunday and any day.

    Cleb...old school! Love that sound...and you play a kingpin, so you're obviously smart...

    I'm sure I missed a few, and that's just this page. Time to pour an IPA (Solemn Oath SnagLe tooth bandanna) and listen more...

    I'll get in too, a tune I wrote a few years back...tried to remember it this afternoon, as I hadn't played it in ages...

    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

    "Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

    --The Ghost of Duke Ellington

  49. #98

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Sitting back enjoying so many of these...

    Fuzz, that tone, those bends...dang.

    Uffe...beautifully challenging melody, brilliant clang of open strings

    Ragman, bee music, so peaceful, gentle

    Jordan, my goodness, I live that agrestive distorted tone, and the arrangement is just killer.

    John, the kind of groove (don't wanna say smooth, but it is) jazz I love. Could listen to that all Sunday and any day.

    Cleb...old school! Love that sound...and you play a kingpin, so you're obviously smart...

    I'm sure I missed a few, and that's just this page. Time to pour an IPA (Solemn Oath SnagLe tooth bandanna) and listen more...

    I'll get in too, a tune I wrote a few years back...tried to remember it this afternoon, as I hadn't played it in ages...

    Yes brah! Not enough "open" chords in solo jazz guitar. Nice!

  50. #99

    User Info Menu

    I'm enjoying, discovering and getting inspired by a lot of posts on this thread! Thanks a lot!
    Here's my contribution, a song that although not a straightforward jazz tune, was born from my desire to play jazz. It's all autoproduced. The Spanish title doesn't mean anything, it's just a bunch of grammatical nonsense that is as disorganized as the structure of the song itself
    Last edited by amagras; 04-29-2017 at 11:28 PM.

  51. #100

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jordanklemons View Post
    Phone numbers Uffe... phone numbers

    I'd love to hear you play with a trio sometime. Are there videos or recordings anywhere?
    Hi Jordan . Thanks for your kind words :-)
    Hehe, I wouldn´t dare. HH and WS are GREATS.

    On my website there are links to solo-videos and CD recordings :
    Uffe Steen – Guitarist, Composer

    Trio concert with lot of original tunes and a few standards + many of other performances with different bands :
    AlruneRod2811
    - YouTube
    Last edited by Uffe Steen; 04-30-2017 at 09:02 AM.
    Uffe Steen Music: http://www.uffe-steen.dk