The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Posts 301 to 325 of 418

User Info Menu

Here's one of my recent big band pieces. I'd welcome your feedback!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here's one from my latest CD, about 2 years ago. A musical version of the old farmer's daughter jokes. I wrote it and play everything but drums, and the vocal is by my buddy Wil Sams.

User Info Menu

Weather Report/Return to Forever inspired Fusion, all instruments performed by me.
    Thanks for listening

User Info Menu

Dear friends,

Here's one of my newest composition, mixing Classical with Jazz music. I'd really enjoy some feedback on the composition and the group playing.

Hugs to everyone!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ll00l0l
    Here's one of my recent big band pieces. I'd welcome your feedback!

Went to your YT channel. Sensory overload. Shutting down. Good night.

So anyway, did Capt. Kangaroo prevail?

User Info Menu

My latest Fusion creation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Went to your YT channel. Sensory overload. Shutting down. Good night.

So anyway, did Capt. Kangaroo prevail?
    Thanks, I'm glad you liked it.

User Info Menu

Hello all, I just posted this one. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ll00l0l
    Hello all, I just posted this one. Enjoy!
    It tells me that the video is private ... can you double check your settings? Thanks!

User Info Menu

Sorry - I've changed the permissions.

User Info Menu

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BickertRules
    This one was inspired by John Abercrombie’s great ECM album “Characters” and the distinctive sound of his electric mandolin from his late ‘70s/ early ‘80s recordings.

Good stuff on a quiet canvas. The CD is aptly named---and thank you for your soft-spoken musicality...

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Durban
    Hi Joel, Am7#5 you stole my chord, just messing i wrote a post on min#5 the way way back had most scratching their heads, pianist use a lot.i use min#5 a lot, as to me its a device that i call polytonal (not strict here) its F tonality if you want it to be.

A section interesting min#5 can be F lydian vibe

solos D
    B1 & B2 F lydian or Am9
    B3 Dm G13 as is
    B4 AmMaj9 Em7b5
    B5 - B7 Bm7b5 G9
    B8 Esusb9 (E7#5#9 AbM7#11)

Please dont take offence at my deciphering what is YOUR tune, as you i take my work seriously, anyway the solos D , i played in some chords which can take into again not strict Polytonal. the Am9 is F lydian if you want it to be meaning you can treat it, this for works if i want to minor-ise a melody or take/extend in another direction just really options.

I am most aware you know all this. Of course B1-8 can be viewed in a slow unwind into CMaj the final E7 iii altered is something i love basically III#5#9 also b6 yummy can go to C but Am is maybe home.

This is not to tell you what your own song is about but merely some one else's ears variations/possibilities etc and not to imply may may not of thought of that.

i am always excited when one gets an opportunity to talk with te composer as it were. funny thing is learn a lot by seeing others work, because i draw parallels or even note the differences and can utilise them if i had not gone that route.

i did a post on A. Holdsworth basically how he writes the chords first then adds melody later. This interested me greatly. I myself find it much easier to put a melody to almost any harmony. I write a lot of melodies, and sometimes find it more difficult to put chords/harmony behind, as ( without sounding immodest know too many chords) so the possibilities are .large. I suppose some struggle to write melodies. this is similar. I am a lot better than i was.

Hope this does not sound like the Me Me Me show. it just i really have chance to talk about things like this,

A few years back when i was playing in the jazz world. Several people wanted to play my tunes, and what was of interest to them was, i would tell them about. ( rather like i was messing with your solo D how things can be seen/heard if need be. This is easy if you wrote the tune, i am talking perhaps not the average standard here. but more non & functional.

When i see people talking about W. Shorter a lot of the time i am Mmmm oh yeah, Wayne has devices he uses consistently, these K.Waters S.Strunk and others have attempted to codify. Often it is very a simple eccentricity. once one has that logic it makes things easier to hear

blah blah, i have looked at several of your tunes over the years, and always thought thats really interesting.
    Thanks for the props and analysis!

I'm getting a record date together (not playing, I want to be heard as the composer only this time). I envision it as a companion piece to the book that's FINALLY just about ready for publication. The recording's going to be a lot of my vocal #s, and I have a terrific singer-pianist and cast in mind. But I want at least 5 instrumentals of various kinds. I have so many to choose from. But this would be an OK blowing samba w/2 shout choruses to stave off boredom over 6+ minutes of the same changes and tempo. Head-solos-heads: OK for jam session or last minute dates.

Wish me luck!...

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio
    Hi, I've spent most of my guitar time (on and off for year long stretches) making up things, and only now started to study and learn a bit - I went for jazz (that's why I'm here now). Here's a tune I did on chemo two years ago, so maybe chemo isn't so bad It's not jazz but maybe there's something jazz like in it? Dunno

here's another, way older one

Twilight Blue by Gonorreo | ReverbNation

I'm having a lot of fun listening through all the previous posts on this thread, lots of diversity, some of them blew me away!
    (1st one) Beautiful and patiently developed playing---thanks!

The tune itself is in the grand tradition of string instrument-driven Caribbean Basin writing, and not a thing wrong with that...

joelf Guest
    Leavin' was my (I thought permanent) farewell to NY. This one is an appreciation---and a returning home song (which is real---already have).

Here's a lyric sheet and lead sheet:
    (You can Take me Out of New York, But) You Can't Take New York Out of Me Joel Fass (c) 2020 Exemplar (ASCAP)

Verse (rubato):
    Rolled the dice once more,
    Bet my wad on someplace new
    Thought I had the answer this time for sure
    But I only rolled snake eyes,
    So I came down with the blues
    But this time I came up with the cure:

(Instrumental tempo set up---4 bars)
    (walking swing 12/8 feel tempo):
    Every time I think 'I'll try
    For a fresh start somewhere new'
    I get nowhere but back to reality
    Guess you can take me out of New York
    But you can't take New York out of me

Jitneyed to Jakarta,
    Hit the pier in Peru
    Yet still I felt out at sea
    'Cause you can take me out of New York

Bridge: You scrutinize every line
    From every brochure
    Pick a land you bet’s exotic and new
    Make the move, then it hits you hard:
    You’re still the same old you

So 'adieu', headin' home,
    With a new attitude
    Gonna change my ways
    Instead of my address
    Kiss that Big Apple ground,
    In deep gratitude
    'There's no place like home'
    Ain't just a platitude---
    (ritard, held note on 'yes') And, yes:
    Coda (slower): I'll toast old friends at the tavern
    Raise a glass to bein' home free----
    'Cause you can---(rit) take me out of old New York
    But you can't----take---New York---out of-----me-----(fine')
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I know this thread is for our compositions but I didn't where to post, and I put some work in on making an instrumental guitar/B3 arrangement. It was fun & educational, how did I do?

User Info Menu

They don't write 'em like this any more :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Leavin' was my (I thought permanent) farewell to NY. This one is an appreciation---and a returning home song (which is real---already have).

Here's a lyric sheet and lead sheet:
    (You can Take me Out of New York, But) You Can't Take New York Out of Me Joel Fass (c) 2020 Exemplar (ASCAP)

Verse (rubato):
    Rolled the dice once more,
    Bet my wad on someplace new
    Thought I had the answer this time for sure
    But I only rolled snake eyes,
    So I came down with the blues
    But this time I came up with the cure:

(Instrumental tempo set up---4 bars)
    (walking swing 12/8 feel tempo):
    Every time I think 'I'll try
    For a fresh start somewhere new'
    I get nowhere but back to reality
    Guess you can take me out of New York

Jitneyed to Jakarta,
    Hit the pier in Peru
    Yet still I felt out at sea
    'Cause you can take me out of New York

Bridge: You scrutinize every line
    From every brochure
    Pick a land you bet’s exotic and new
    Make the move, then it hits you hard:
    You’re still the same old you

So 'adieu', headin' home,
    With a new attitude
    Gonna change my ways
    Instead of my address
    Kiss that Big Apple ground,
    In deep gratitude
    'There's no place like home'
    Ain't just a platitude---
    (ritard, held note on 'yes') And, yes:
    Coda (slower): I'll toast old friends at the tavern
    Raise a glass to bein' home free----
    'Cause you can---(rit) take me out of old New York
    But you can't----take---New York---out of-----me-----(fine')
    Chrissakes, Joel, I don't want to look at a lot of writing, I wanna HEAR it! Don't you ever record your stuff? It's music, not literature!!

User Info Menu

Space is the place!!!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Backing track for one of my songs. There is version with vocals, but I do not have it on hand now.

Projekat Lesly @ Rke Koke, 7/4 instr./Augmented Reality Driving

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I stopped sending my compositions here.I'm not sure if anyone is listening to this, it's too much and it's a mess. Sorry.

joelf Guest
    Star student Gabe Preston & crew taking a wild ride on my tune The Man Who Cared Too Much---Chris's, Philly, July 22 (night after my birthday).

Nice job, lads and lasses...

joelf Guest
    Lead sheet...
    Attached Images Attached Images