Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Posts 276 to 300 of 347
  1. #276

    User Info Menu

    Here is one of mine that's fairly guitar-heavy.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #277

    User Info Menu

    40 years ago, my friend Rick told me, a little hippie bluegrass southern rock kid, to go check out this guitar player named Jeff Beck. Me and my other great friend Doug took a bus to NYC and just before the show started, scalped what turned out to be 6th row center (for face value!) (Oh, and, thousands of people there and who do you think I see standing in front of me on concessions line? Yep, Rick!) The show blew me away so much it melted my tie dye. Within a year I was at Berklee in Boston chasing Miles and beyond.

    I wrote this years ago thinking of that event where I basically said, for the time being, Adios Senor Garcia and started a journey down another musical path. Rick died in a car accident soon after on 8/12/83. Named my daughter after him, Ricky short for Erica. Unbelievably, found out after that they were born on the same day. He's always here part of my family and musical life. Wonderful human.

    Fast forward to 10 years ago, and here I am (proudly) playing Dead again. Through it all though, then and now, in my own music you can still hear my old hippie roots showing through. I guess you can take the boy out of the Jerry, but you can't take the Jerry out of the boy.....

    Funny, not funny, still can't solo over it...

    Last edited by mmuller; 01-16-2021 at 11:12 PM.

  4. #278

    User Info Menu


  5. #279

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyb300 View Post
    Great tune, man. Composition, arrangement, and execution all sound great.

    John

  6. #280

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by mmuller View Post
    40 years ago, my friend Rick told me, a little hippie bluegrass southern rock kid, to go check out this guitar player named Jeff Beck. Me and my other great friend Doug took a bus to NYC and just before the show started, scalped what turned out to be 6th row center (for face value!) (Oh, and, thousands of people there and who do you think I see standing in front of me on concessions line? Yep, Rick!) The show blew me away so much it melted my tie dye. Within a year I was at Berklee in Boston chasing Miles and beyond.

    I wrote this years ago thinking of that event where I basically said, for the time being, Adios Senor Garcia and started a journey down another musical path.

    Fast forward to 10 years ago, and here I am (proudly) playing Dead again. Through it all though, then and now, in my own music you can still hear my old hippie roots showing through. I guess you can take the boy out of the Jerry, but you can't take the Jerry out of the boy.....

    Funny, not funny, still can't solo over it...

    I like that, though I'm not sure I hear the Beck influence. Great tune, well executed.

    John

  7. #281

    User Info Menu


  8. #282

    User Info Menu

    Not a fan of the word composition, at least not for what I do. So here's some songwriting. With a cheesy casio drum loop, ukulele, and ukulele bass... woohoo. Not jazz.


  9. #283

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by fep View Post
    Not a fan of the word composition, at least not for what I do. So here's some songwriting. With a cheesy Casio drum loop, ukulele, and ukulele bass... woohoo. Not jazz.
    I like it, Frank!

    As for terms, I prefer 'song(s)' and 'songwriting'. For an instrumental, "tune".

  10. #284

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Philco View Post
    Wrote this little sketch when I started playing guitar again in 2011. At the time I was looking for a way to combine some contemporary sounds with what I thought of as "bebop". I felt that I was sailing very close to "smooth Jazz" and also that I couldn't cut the changes. I never finished this tune.
    I stopped writing and started learning about playing changes and where bebop came from. I'm still learning!
    This was on my GB10 (long gone)

    this sounds really good man!

  11. #285

    User Info Menu

    another little piece i came up with in garageband today


  12. #286

    User Info Menu

    another little piece i came up with in garageband today


  13. #287

  14. #288
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Davis View Post
    this sounds really good man!
    Nice playing. Do I spy Alfred E. Newman?

  15. #289

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    Terrif

  16. #290
    Thanks, Clint. I did it yesterday afternoon. It was supposed to be in Ab but I kept wanting to play natural D's and B's... weird.

    Our Own Compositions. Post them here!-20201030_144939-4-jpg

  17. #291

    User Info Menu

    Ragman, Sounds great, great tune.

  18. #292

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    Thanks, Clint. I did it yesterday afternoon. It was supposed to be in Ab but I kept wanting to play natural D's and B's... weird.
    Cool

  19. #293

    User Info Menu

    This is 4 years ago and I have had painfully little time to write since then. Lacking guitar parts and all instruments are Apple Logic.
    Curious, also interested in criticisms!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #294

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol View Post
    This is really old. mid-90's. I had a Fostex reel, drum machine, standup bass, classical guitar. I did it fast;

    Jeez! That’s virtuoso. Would do well in a shop-till-you-drop movie scene (and others)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #295

    User Info Menu

    here are a few of mine as part of Pearl Django









    Tim

  22. #296

    User Info Menu

    Mellow Progressive Jazz tune I composed, all instruments done by myself, thanks for listening.


  23. #297

    User Info Menu

    Bandcamp gives 100% to artists on 1st Friday of each month. Muller retirement fund! With Victor Wooten, Rod Morgenstein and Anton Fig. Songs From My Hard Drive | Marc Muller

  24. #298

    User Info Menu

    Nice stuff!

  25. #299

    User Info Menu

    This is a tune I composed called Nani Wahi Blues, which in Hawaiian mean beautiful place. It is basically a blues with a few tonal diversions. I didn't write it out because it is a simple melody. It is played on two acoustic guitars and bass.


  26. #300

    User Info Menu

    An easygoing tune in three-quarter time. The solo section is my attempt to emulate John Abercrombie’s 1980s ECM electric mandolin sound.