The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 47

User Info Menu

Nibiru, the jazz tune. Dedicated to the forum.-nibiru-jpg

This one goes out to DocDosco

It's an exploration of some ideas I got off the back or a lorry (truck, Americans!) driven by Ben Monder and Lage Lund.

At some point I may learn to play it. Guess what tune it's based on!
    Last edited by christianm77; 01-07-2017 at 08:54 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great! Just in the interests of learning something - I take it a maj7sus2 chord replaces the 3rd with the 2nd? Also, I find these kind of slash chords quite tricky to play just reading through - do you have any suggested fingerings? All just if you have time anyhow, and cheers for posting the composition.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Meggy
    Great! Just in the interests of learning something - I take it a maj7sus2 chord replaces the 3rd with the 2nd? Also, I find these kind of slash chords quite tricky to play just reading through - do you have any suggested fingerings? All just if you have time anyhow, and cheers for posting the composition.
    Yes you are right - Cmaj7sus2, for example is C D G B

Re: fingerings haha I'm afraid not, at least I haven't come up with any yet. This would be the sort of thing that would work best as a band probably. A maj7sus2 chord over a funny bass note is a five note chord and that's hard on the guitar alone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Yes you are right - Cmaj7sus2, for example is C D G B

Re: fingerings haha I'm afraid not, at least I haven't come up with any yet. This would be the sort of thing that would work best as a band probably. A maj7sus2 chord over a funny bass note is a five note chord and that's hard on the guitar alone.
    Thanks for this - I realised that a maj7sus2 chord is in itself a slash chord, at least if the root is in the bass, for example Gmaj7sus2 is the same as D/G. So your chords for this piece are kind of double slash chords, which I find interesting. I'm sure you already know this!

0x3553 is quite nice for an Fmaj7sus2/E, but of course that's "cheating" by using the open E, and not moveable - at least beyond my finger stretching capabilities. But with that chord, I do find missing out the high G note doesn't seem to alter the overall flavour/sound too much, and so maybe doing that generally gives a bit more room to find voicings practical for solo guitar. Not sure if, as the composer, you'd approve of doing that though!

Anyhow, your piece has sent me off on a bit of interesting harmonic exploration/discovery, so cheers again.
    Last edited by Meggy; 01-14-2017 at 08:39 AM.

User Info Menu

If I play it will the world end?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Meggy
    1) Don't trust stuff that looks too complicated

2) First play reduced (ordinary) chords: GM7 - DbM7 etc to see what it's like

3) M7sus2 chords are M9 by any other name. GM7 - 3x443x. GM9 or GM7sus2 - 3x423x

4) Find your own fingerings for slash chords.

i.e FM7sus2/E =

FM7 FACE
    FM9 FGCE
    rearrange notes EGCF
    find fingering x7556x

Et voila.

User Info Menu

Or you could try it over the vanilla changes. TBH I haven't even played this tune yet...

User Info Menu

The connection is the multiple conspiracy theory threads we've seen lately.

I'm a write a tune called "pinball and pizza."

User Info Menu

Out of this world!

User Info Menu

Awesome! Thank you, ragman1, for bringing this to life, and thank you, christianm77, for composing this intriguing piece!

User Info Menu

I think it's lost something in translation from midi to wav and from here to SoundCloud. Also the comping behind the tune is suspect. Don't be surprised if I repost it sometime soon.

It can't be much faster than that as it'll trip over itself (more than it's doing at the moment).
    Last edited by ragman1; 01-15-2017 at 04:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Cool, has a sort of Tristano/Konitz contrafact vibe.

User Info Menu

I hear it as straight myself

User Info Menu

I hear it as straight myself
    Isn't the Nibiruvian anthem in 7/8? That would have been an nice touch to this tune.
    Last edited by BigDaddyLoveHandles; 01-15-2017 at 03:03 PM.

User Info Menu

I think the bass should be a P-bass OC2 with a filter sweep Tim LeFebvre post-dub step 2011 type of vibe.

User Info Menu

I knew that

Do you really like it? I'm sure others here could do much more with it. I wish they would.

User Info Menu

I think the bass should be a P-bass OC2 with a filter sweep Tim LeFebvre post-dub step 2011 type of vibe.
    Absolutely, I thought that too.

User Info Menu

I'm glad y'all know what you're talking about

I might try it with an organ - you know, doomsday horror...

User Info Menu

Actually, I'm feeling a bit of a "dark ambient" vibe for this - something to evoke an appropriate sense of ominous foreboding...

User Info Menu

Was this post in English?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Was this post in English?
    No it's in bass

User Info Menu

No it's in bass
    Ah, that's the problem.

I'd love to try the tune, but I think it's probably over my head.

Well, that and the idea of Nbiru and the impending doom of earth is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of, and I can't risk getting any dumber delving into the story to get the appropriate inspiration. I didn't exactly take great care of my brain cells in high school, y'dig?

User Info Menu

Does BIAB do dark gloom?

only when it stops working

User Info Menu

BTW if anyone is interested, this tune is very much a concept tune and etude. I think it turned out pretty tuneful, so I might actually play it on gigs. Currently learning it ATM.

Harmonically, the chords are (obviously) based around using a fixed structure - in this case 1 2 5 7 - over all the functions of the chords of the original tune. This comes directly from Lage Lund.

So
    maj7 - on the 1
    min7 - on the b3
    dim7 - on the b3 (in this case Bbo7 --> Dbmaj7sus2)
    dom7 - on the b7
    dom7alt - on the b2

I preserve the original bass notes, but you don't have to use them.

In terms of playing the changes the challenge is to go from something very parallel to voice lead. When I practice playing the chords to this tune I shall focus on practicing them very much in position on set string groups.

You can think of the changes as standard drop2's and 3's etc where the 3rd is moved down a step. Good practice.

You can also view them intervallically.

Now melody - I've been looking a lot at CST again recently. In this case the Lydian mode fits on all of the chords because of the substitution formula I used. So that's easy.

Gmaj7 --> G Lydian
    Eb7 --> Db Lydian
    (Bm7b5) E7alt --> F lyd
    Am7 --> C Lyd
    Cm7 --> Eb Lyd
    Bbo7 --> Db Lyd (C# Lyd)

In general I stripped away any ii chords in ii-V's to keep the structure uncluttered, and the harmonic rhythm steady.

Now what do I do with the scales? Well first I composed the rhythm. I wanted an interesting rhythm, but to get that contemporary sound I avoided triplets and I think this will be played with a straight 8s feel. I can imagine Barry glaring at me as I type this. Sorry bop dudes, it gets worse.

Secondly I used a pattern I was introduced to by a Ben Monder vid - very simply, instead of using one interval to define your line, you use two - in this case a diatonic 2nd and a diatonic 4th in a stack for a non tertial sound. I really like the sound of this combination, and it's something I'm keen to internalise for my contemporary playing.

Most of the ascending phrases are based on this, while the ascending phrases are in scales. I mix up some of the ascending phrases to stop it getting too patterny.

This is a bit like the bebop practice of going up a triad or chord and then descending by step. Because the scales contain no avoid notes, I don't need to use added notes.

User Info Menu

Makes me want to stand at 'attention' in a floral print Speedo, beret and platform rhinestone cowboy boots.

Music evokes powerful responses.