Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 9 of 9

User Info Menu

Hello, I'm working on a new composition, and looking for suggestions about a modulation during a bridge section. (I write digitally in Ableton. The idiom is more prog/jam with jazz and electronic flavors than strict jazz.)

So during the middle of the piece, I've got a 'calm' section that hovers in Amin for 16 bars, roughly:
    Am711 - Em7 - Am711 - Em7 - Am7 - Bm7b5 - Am7 - Bm7b5
    then it does this for 16 bars:
    Am711 - .....................(something).................. ..... - F# alt
    building toward a climax into a section in Bmin that I've got pretty much worked-out.

I'm imagining 8 bars with a new chord every two bars, then 8 bars with a new chord every bar. Wondering if folks can make suggestions as to some interesting ways to build out that transition... something that really moves harmonically to contrast to the more static sections that bookend it.

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Last edited by gnt; 07-26-2016 at 08:45 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well first off, you may want to make your "A minor" section sound like it is in A minor by using the V or V7 chord (E or E7). By using the Em7 so much in your first section you make it sound more like it is in Em because Em7 & Am11 would be the i & iv in the key of E minor. The Bm7b5 almost works in place of a V7, but not quite, and you still have all those Em7 chords which suggest another key.

Since it looks like you have 3 different sections all in minor keys, try having your contrasting section in a major key. It could be the relative major of A minor (C) or even the parallel major (A), or really anything as long as you can find a way to transition to it. This is pretty easy to do using diminished chords and/or a cycle of fifths progression + tritone subs. You can basically find a quick way to any key using these types of chords.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try 'em out

User Info Menu

bump

Quote Originally Posted by Groyniad View Post
    bump
    Bump?

User Info Menu

i know - its crazy

i just could not stand seeing 'bass guitar as a mode of being' every time i logged on

i'm sure i broke a basic rule

sorry

It's no problem. But alas, I've got no idea what you're talking about. There is some context that I am lacking. Is this related to this thread in some way?

Quote Originally Posted by Groyniad View Post
    i know - its crazy

i just could not stand seeing 'bass guitar as a mode of being' every time i logged on

i'm sure i broke a basic rule

sorry
    :-) How do you view the forum usually? I usually click "new posts" and only look at those. I hardly ever look at the main forum page (and browse by sub forums etc). Is that what you're talking about?

User Info Menu

yes - and your way is better - i'll try it - thanks