Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 69

User Info Menu

Came across this on YouTube. I thought it was very well done:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thanks, jakeyboy1216! That was ultra-hip.

User Info Menu

One of my favourite songs of all time.
    I think I first heard it when I was 19.
    Gave me shivers. Still does.

Great video although after reading Steely Dan's own description of the "Mu Major" chord (in one of their songbooks) it was clear that they were pulling everyone's chain. A little joke to fool the peasants so to speak.

User Info Menu

Is this the bit you recall, Philco? I haven't read it carefully yet, but I look forward to doing so.

Intro to the Song Book

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Is this the bit you recall, Philco? I haven't read it carefully yet, but I look forward to doing so.

Intro to the Song Book

Yeah that's it. Tongue planted firmly in cheek!

User Info Menu

I walked in by chance on a Steely Dan rehearsal before I knew who they were. The year was around 1972 or '73. I was visiting a girlfriend at Bard College in upstate New York just before a John Abercrombie concert. We happened to walk into a music auditorium where the guys who would become Steely Dan were practicing. Who knew? Abercrombie was quite good by the way.
    Last edited by targuit; 04-27-2016 at 11:00 PM.

User Info Menu

I still don't really like Steely Dan, which is annoying, because I feel I should.

Sorry guys.

Great little docu though. I like the fact that he got Perotin in there: my nerdgasm was hideous to behold.

User Info Menu

To appreciate Steely Dan you had to hear what was happening contemporaneously. They had a kind of hip, inside joke sound with hints of jazz, horns, and hip lyrics. Not to mention some pretty good guitarists for the time. But not everyone's taste.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    To appreciate Steely Dan you had to hear what was happening contemporaneously. They had a kind of hip, inside joke sound with hints of jazz, horns, and hip lyrics. Not to mention some pretty good guitarists for the time. But not everyone's taste.
    They tick many boxes. And yet the totality doesn't do it for me. I think the fault is mine :-)

User Info Menu

You are entitled to your preferences as well as your opinions.

There is a substantial portion of popular music which I do not enjoy, no matter how many tattoos they have.

User Info Menu

Sometimes we just don't like stuff it seems like we'd have no reason NOT to like.

Like me and those "Poll Winners" albums

As for Steely Dan, just love 'em. Aja is probably one of my top 10 records of all time.

User Info Menu

you like the poll winners trust me

User Info Menu

Separately, yes. Those albums they made together? Snore. I even went back and listened recently, because my bias against them came up in another thread, so I figured I owed it to myself and the forum to give 'em another try.

Just my opinion, don't get out the torches

User Info Menu

OK Peg's a good tune. It's just come on the stereo in the pub I'm at - they're playing the Dan's greatest hits.... Perhaps I just need to listen to more of it...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    considering SD was only 2 guys in essence .. as for the "pretty good" guitarists..they were and ARE good for any time...try doing one of their solos..most of them were 'go to " studio players-Larry Carlton, "skunk" baxter .. that caliber of player..their recording sessions, as told by some that were there..were more like "clean room" experiments..

the MU chords(suspended..add9..was their "sound" and they placed it in odd places..not always by plan I suspect..

I enjoy MOST of their work..some of it..the dogs don't even like...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Sometimes we just don't like stuff it seems like we'd have no reason NOT to like.

Like me and those "Poll Winners" albums

As for Steely Dan, just love 'em. Aja is probably one of my top 10 records of all time.
    Well. I've loved 'em since seeing them in '74 twice , with Denny Diaz ,Jeff Baxter Jeff Porcaro.
    etc., our eldest son, & grand daughter also love 'em but they were too young to see them live.
    shocked that Jeff Porcaro died aged 38 in '92. IMO they set the standard. But the Lex Lab band
    do a great job on their covers,

User Info Menu

Why don't you ask the Lexington Lab guy?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by richb2
    Ouch! ;o)

User Info Menu

What do you mean?

User Info Menu

When this came out, I was 14 and I heard this on a transistor radio tuned to an AM station in Nashville, Tennessee. That opening solo knocked me out and it still does.

User Info Menu

Didn't listen to the TV version but just played along to the album cut here. Reminds me why I like them. Smart lyrics, great singing and groove. Great guitars in rock context. Still fun to sing and perform even today.

User Info Menu

Ask what precisely?

Donald Fagen is a genius when it comes to writing songs and the lyrics have real meaning as well

User Info Menu

I was fan back in the day long before Aja came out. Looking back I guess that it might have been a good thing for one of my sisters to steal that album from me for her own pleasure. Her taste in music probably never got any more sophisticated. The songs on it received a lot of air play anyway. I began to grow tired of them and still would rather hear stuff from other albums.