Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

I was recommended Guitar Pro 6 for tabbing out from standard score but I'm thinking maybe a waste of time/money. I have no use for most of it's features but just wanted to tab out scores. It does tab accurately but you can't (as far as I can see) adjust for position. In other words it seems to just want to do everything in open position and then move up the neck on string 1 for notes that go out of that position. You can use their "CAPO" but it then sees the capo as open position. If you want to tab a line in say 7th position you'd have to pull up the neck view and click out each note of the score. That seems a bit archaic to me. Is there something I'm missing here? Can you tell it somehow to tab out in a particular position? OR is there a program that does this?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sibelius does it this way

- you start with an existing standard notation staff (it may even be one written for a transposing instrument like a sax)

- you create an instrument with a tab (guitars can be created with both standard staff and tab)

- select notes from the standard staff (one, a few, a bar, the whole staff long, depending on how you click / select)

- Ctrl-C : copy the selected notes

- click to select the place in the tab staff where you want to paste the notes: Ctrl-V then does magic (including transposition from a sax staff). So if you selected the whole standard staff, the whole tab is filled.

Sibelius decides which string is used for each note. But you can select any number of notes from the tab staff and move them up / down strings if you want, using the vertical arrow keys on the keyboard. This moves notes vertically on strings and horizontally on the neck.

I'm sure Finale might do it in a similar way. No idea about the other tools, free, cheap, or not.
    Last edited by mhch; 03-15-2015 at 10:32 AM.
    Perfection is in the Details, but Perfection isn't a Detail (Leonardo da Vinci)

Guitar Pro 6 is so recent and specialized for guitar that I can't see it not having this feature. Danged if I can find it in the "manual" though. This seems so basic. I'm going to try you're Sibelius method and see if that does anything. Thanks.
    Anyone else maybe familiar with GP6? I got it for $20 less on Amazon but that's $29 too much if it doesn't do this.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffsct View Post
    I was recommended Guitar Pro 6 for tabbing out from standard score but I'm thinking maybe a waste of time/money. I have no use for most of it's features but just wanted to tab out scores. It does tab accurately but you can't (as far as I can see) adjust for position. In other words it seems to just want to do everything in open position and then move up the neck on string 1 for notes that go out of that position. You can use their "CAPO" but it then sees the capo as open position. If you want to tab a line in say 7th position you'd have to pull up the neck view and click out each note of the score. That seems a bit archaic to me. Is there something I'm missing here? Can you tell it somehow to tab out in a particular position? OR is there a program that does this?

From the user manual pdf p 12: The black highlighted part...
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 03-15-2015 at 03:34 PM.

Thanks Matt. I guess I must have glossed over that. Hopefully this means that one can change the position of a selected area all at once and not have to change each & every note.

User Info Menu

Tabledit has a lot of fans. About $50 (I'm not affiliated); free to try.

John R.

User Info Menu

Musescore will let you shift a big chunk of notes all at once. You highlight, and (I think) ctrl-down arrow. It's free so it might be worth checking out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dingusmingus View Post
    Musescore will let you shift a big chunk of notes all at once. You highlight, and (I think) ctrl-down arrow. It's free so it might be worth checking out.
    Actually, it's just down arrow. This will usually get you to about 5th position if you select all the notes.

User Info Menu

Finale does tabs quite well, however it is a very powerful, and expensive, program so if you only need it for tabs, it is perhaps a bit of overkill.

User Info Menu

Hello, I'm not sure to understand : do you want to automatically generate a tablature for an existing score ? I don't see anything useful here, as the choice on the fretboard depends on your preferences. But as far as I know you are right : for example if you open a MIDI file with this Guitar Pro 6, it will generate a way to play the song, but often with very strange position choices ! So you have to modify those afterwards.

I use Guitar Pro since a while and it's just perfect for my needs : I write stuff (compositions, transcriptions, etc.) by directly clicking on the integrated fretboard, and of course using the correct rhythm. So if your question was : "can I choose where each note of a song is played" then the answer is definitely "yes".

Please feel free to elaborate and I'd be glad to provide some answers. I enjoy this software, the only real "issue" I find is the sound for the brass instruments

User Info Menu

In Guitar Pro - if I'm understanding your question correctly - instead of entering the notes in musical notation, enter them on the guitar tab lines under the score. Go to the string you want - for example D string at 7th fret - and use the numeric keypad and type a 7 on the D string with the time value of the note selected before typing the number. It will then write the musical score but will show in the tab section that the note needs to be played on the D string at the 7th fret. I rarely enter music notes in Guitar Pro, I enter them via the tab section and the numeric keypad, that way the tab shows the correct fingering that you want. You can enter as many notes in a give instance that you want, but the time value must be the same. If you for example had three whole notes starting on beat one but also had two eighth notes at the same time, then you would enter the three whole notes on voice one (it show voices at the bottom of the edit page) and then click on voice two and enter the eight notes. That way you can have different timing values on the same beat. Hope this helps.

Kenny

Wow I'm rackin my brain (this question was a year ago). Anyway I guess I wanted guitar Pro to do something it doesn't do. I thought I could possibly feed it notes on the staff, choose a position on the guitar, and it would tab it for me. Guess not. Thanks for the replies anyway.

User Info Menu

Let me try again, as I described above, you can use the number keypad to enter your notes via the position you want it to be tabbed. When you enter the note via the string and position, it automatically generates the music. If you enter it by the music on the staff, then it generates the tab to what it thinks is best, however you can change that to what you want, but it's a little time consuming. Also, if you enter it via music in the staff, when you are through you can go to tools and click on the automatic finger positioning. This is suppose to create the most logical way (finger wise) to play the song. I just stick to entering the notes on the strings (tab) and Guitar Pro then creates the music.

Thanks a lot Kenny! I think I get it now. Maybe I'll have some use for this after all. Can you just copy & paste the lines (staff & notes) or do you have to enter them note by note? I'm away from the machine that's got GP.

User Info Menu

If you have entered some notes or have a section that you have entered within Guitar Pro, yes, you can copy and paste them. However, if it is from another program/format, Guitar Pro will import the following: MIDI, ASCII, MusicXML, PowerTab, and TablEdit.