View Poll Results: What do people think?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great idea

18 90.00%
  • Terrible idea

2 10.00%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 26 of 26

User Info Menu

What do people think?
    Favorite Musician: Pythagoras

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Would like it. I'm as much into writing as I am into playing, and writing is also a huge, overlooked part in this music. Would love a section for it.

User Info Menu

Cool. How would it work? There's not much to say. Write.

User Info Menu

I think it is a good idea.

I've never composed much, except from mandatory work when I was studying for my bachelors degree.

I found it much easier then to have a framework to compose around, a specific assignment. And as I have dabbled a bit with composing on my own, I find this can be a good trigger for inspiration. If you have a general idea about what you want to create, it is easier to manifest the music.
    Of course the best thing is to have the instrument in hand and just find yourself coming up with wonderful ideas then and there on the spot. But this doesn't always happen. That is why it is good to have some strategies on how to bring out the creativity in yourself.

So yes, while the best ideas come spontaneously, composition is habit. Like any other habit, the more you do it the better you will get at it. I have talked to composers and they all agree on this.

Therefore I think it could be very fruitful to have a dedicated forum, so people can share their insights on composition. I personally would benefit greatly since very little of my composition work has been in the jazz idiom, and I would love to learn from those here who write their own material.

User Info Menu

I like the idea. To be clear, are we thinking of, say, posting a lead sheet for an original composition (and / or a performance video), which could then be discussed b the group, or are we thinking of discussing composition, with occasional examples?
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    I like the idea. To be clear, are we thinking of, say, posting a lead sheet for an original composition (and / or a performance video), which could then be discussed b the group, or are we thinking of discussing composition, with occasional examples?
    I was thinking both. I've got a bunch of questions. For example, I have a chord progression with a definite root movement and melody, but I am having trouble filling in some of the chords. I'd like to be able to just put up what I've got and ask questions about it. Another example, I have questions and answers about why Autumn Leaves is so good and I'd love to hear what others think. I probably would have put up 20 threads in the last two weeks if there were such a section in the forum. Hopefully that doesn't sway the voting too much!

User Info Menu

I thought that the "Tune in Progress" thread was also about composition. Still a good idea, but the thread exists already, just doesn't get a lot of action..

Tune in progress would only cover about 15% of my questions.

User Info Menu

I don't know how this would work. I'm, in some ways, primarily a writer. But I don't know how a forum would work. It's kind of sticking putting up score of your own music. No one wants to be copyright infringed before it's copyrighted. There are other techniques like counterpoint and harmony, but I don't know. I don't know. How would it work?

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
    I don't know how this would work. I'm, in some ways, primarily a writer. But I don't know how a forum would work. It's kind of sticking putting up score of your own music. No one wants to be copyright infringed before it's copyrighted.
    Yeah, I don't know what to say there except that I was planning on just giving melody reductions since those are all that is necessary for most of my questions about a work in progress. But I have a lot of general issues that I want to take up. Overall, I'm more interested in composition than compositions.
    Last edited by jster; 11-13-2013 at 08:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
    I don't know how this would work. I'm, in some ways, primarily a writer. But I don't know how a forum would work. It's kind of sticking putting up score of your own music. No one wants to be copyright infringed before it's copyrighted. There are other techniques like counterpoint and harmony, but I don't know. I don't know. How would it work?
    I enjoy writing songs but would only be able to put up those that already have a copywrite. I think it could be good experience for many of us.

wiz
    Howie

User Info Menu

I think the best way forward is just to discuss composition with examples if needed. That way the copyright issue doesn't exist. If guys want to post full sheets fine, just make sure you remember someone could 'Borrow' it. I feel sure some of the more experienced guys like 'Reg', 'Henry' and 'Wiz' will jump in and answer questions.

User Info Menu

if it's created, it's copyrighted. registration is a separate thing, useful in case of dispute.
    "Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

True but that still doesn't keep anyone from taking here or there or outright. You have the copyright in your person, but you must prove it. I just think a work in progress is a dangerous thing.

I think it'd be better to talk about the process and use, in the main, examples if existing tunes.

User Info Menu

I would agree with Henry here on the copyright issue. But there are many ways to discuss the subject of composition. For example, I find using my Sibelius software is a great tool to facilitate the process. Of course, there is nothing to inhibit that thread right now. But posting works in progress could be problematic.

User Info Menu

Re copyright. If you post it, the post is dated. Isn't that all that is required to prove your copyright? If that's right wouldn't posting a piece here actually protect you?

User Info Menu

There might be some value in a section devoted to discussing and sharing the techniques and skills needed for composing, kind of like a composing 101. That would be very different than having a showcase for posting original compositions, which we already do have a section for.

I'll bet there are a few here like myself that devoted time and energy to studying and practicing composing that were actually detrimental to developing better guitar chops, but you have to make choices. Instead, now I'm a hack player and a hack composer, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Guitar and improvising and composing seem to be a natural fit for a lot of people.

I'm sure that for many of us, a great jazz tune has as much gravity as a great solo. My love for Herbie, Coltrane, Miles, Monk, Mingus, Shorter, etc, has as much to do with their composing as their playing.

Best composing advice I ever heard? "Good composers don't imitate, they steal."

Mark, I know that online forums are not democracies, but the "Great idea" side won by a landslide. Will anything happen? I really don't want to flood the Theory, Comping, Songs, Everything Else, Other Styles, and Recording sections with questions that really belong in a Composition section.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jster View Post
    Mark, I know that online forums are not democracies, but the "Great idea" side won by a landslide. Will anything happen? I really don't want to flood the Theory, Comping, Songs, Everything Else, Other Styles, and Recording sections with questions that really belong in a Composition section.
    Starting new sections is above my pay grade, so I'm as much a spectator as anyone else on the question, "will anything happen?" Suits me. We'll see.
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

I'm for it, but agree with Henry regarding copyright. The main thing i do is write and my main goal is to try and do something with those tunes. I'd never put one up that wasn't copy written and I'm not so sure I'd put one up that was.

I do think, however, that discussing composition techniques, problems and how to solve them, in a general way, is a great idea.

Of course, each individual is entitled to do what they wish with there own tunes.
    Barney Kessel was asked, “What’s the hardest thing about studio work?” He replied, “Finding a parking place.”
    "I don't know what other people are doing - I just know about me."- Thelonious Monk

User Info Menu

Just putting this out there. I found this book to be very helpful.

Jazz Composition: Theory and Practice

Here's a video of Chick Corea discussing composition. It's not the best quality, but the information is great (in my opinion anyway).

Last edited by Dana; 11-19-2013 at 10:23 AM.
    Check out my new book, Essential Skills for the Guitarist on Amazon.

Starting new sections is above my pay grade, so I'm as much a spectator as anyone else on the question, "will anything happen?" Suits me. We'll see.
    Who can make the decision? Is he/they even aware that there is interest in such a section?

User Info Menu

Here you go guys, let's see if it gets enough attention...

THANK YOU SIR! With me around, it will definitely get enough attention. But I might wait a day or two to see if some of the pros want to set the bar!

User Info Menu

"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

User Info Menu

Hello

I think it was a great idea to make a forum where different techniques of composition can be discussed
    BUT… would it not be a good idea, in parallel, to make a forum for all the posts about free samples/software , and one for people to post their own compositions/productions ?

IMHO These (off-)topics are messing up the purpose of the Composition forum, which imo is to get better at composing, by exploring techniques ...not to self-promote. Not that anything wrong with that but theres so many listen-to-my-tune-posts, that the forum relevant posts get lost.

Food for thought.