Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

This is a new original Bossanova song (just copywrited today). I wrote and arranged the music and my wife, Colleen, wrote the lyrics. This song was written to give Starlight (new name for our band) something to (hopefully) modernize our sound. Colleen is the vocalist and a BIAB Bossa backing track was used. It is definitely a work in progress and not ready for our gigs yet. It is a change in our approach to music and totally new for Starlight. The name of the song is "Just Maybe". Please listen and comment on our new song and our approach to a more commercial sound. All comments will be sincerely appreciated.
    http://www.box.net/shared/0p68423tr9d8bmy5crgb

Sorry for the inconvenience, I just repaired the bad link
    wiz

http://www.box.net/shared/0p68423tr9d8bmy5crgb
    Last edited by wizard3739; 11-01-2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: repaired a bad link
    Howie

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The bad link has been repaired.

wiz
    Howie

User Info Menu

Very cool tune, Howie. I enjoyed it. When you say new approach, do you just mean playing originals?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morroben View Post
    Very cool tune, Howie. I enjoyed it. When you say new approach, do you just mean playing originals?
    No, we are actually adding some originals, playing old standards with more modern arrangements, playing some Earth,Wind & Fire songs. more Latin songs and adding some funk styles. I think we will be playing fewer songs from the 30's through the 50's and more of the music from the 60's throught the year 2000.

wiz
    Howie

User Info Menu

What a great song title, really really nice. I loved everything about it. That voice is gold!

User Info Menu

Definitely a work in progress...this one I worked against my usual modus opperandi, and came up with the chords first...this is a first take, I'll try to get a lead sheet up here tomorrow...
    We offer guaranteed success for Brain Dumps.com exam with help of latest security+ certification and C4090-450 dumps practice questions and the exams of artinstitutes.ed

User Info Menu

This song was composed and copywritten 2 years ago by my wife and I. What are you doing with it ???

puzzled wiz?
    Howie

User Info Menu

Howie - Love the tune! And your wife's voice is wonderful.

If I might offer some modest suggestions. I think a slightly faster tempo would give it even more momentum. And I would try to add just a bridge section to give Colleen a chance to soar into the clouds for eight to sixteen bars.

Of course, I realize you already copyrighted your song. Very nice. What equipment (apart from BIAB) did you use to record?

I like your idea of choosing Latin material. Hearing Colleen's voice, I could just imagine her singing So Many Stars, the Sergio Mendes hit from the Sixties (?).

Jay

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit View Post
    Howie - Love the tune! And your wife's voice is wonderful.

If I might offer some modest suggestions. I think a slightly faster tempo would give it even more momentum. And I would try to add just a bridge section to give Colleen a chance to soar into the clouds for eight to sixteen bars.

Of course, I realize you already copyrighted your song. Very nice. What equipment (apart from BIAB) did you use to record?

I like your idea of choosing Latin material. Hearing Colleen's voice, I could just imagine her singing So Many Stars, the Sergio Mendes hit from the Sixties (?).

Jay

Thanks For Your Interest, Jay, your suggestions are very much appreciated. BIAB was not used for this recording. We used a home studio owned by our drummer (Roscoe) at that time. I wanted a recording that that would reflect the style and sound of our band (Starlight). Our 5 piece band intended to record some of my other originals but our drummer wasn't able to stay with us so the recording plan just faded away. You are right about Colleen's singing ability, she is a very good vocalist with a vocal talent she was born with. We are currently working mostly local gigs with vocals, bass, guitar, trumpet and a Sax/Clarinet player. As you might guess, I arrange all of the music and band is built around Colleen's vocals. We do mostly music from the Great American Songbook and are all retirement age. We have a lot of fun with our music and all of us double on at least two instruments. We live in a retirement town and the people here love her singing. We are giving them a lot of the music they grew up with plus some jazz that we want to play.
    I will definitely look at "So Many Stars" as a possibility for Colleen. We are putting together some songs for a CD from our home studio featuring Colleen & I doing Chord melody based music with songs like "Lush Life" and a few other songs of that style. Thanks again for your interest,

Howie (wiz)
    Howie

User Info Menu

How cool is that! In my house my wife and son are always telling me to stop singing!

Sorry if I misunderstood the original post regarding BIAB. I thought that was a pretty good percussion track....

User Info Menu

Very nice composition and singing. I look forward to hearing more.

User Info Menu

Really lovely tune, i do like the vocals, a lot dynamics,

Durban