Jazz Guitar
+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

Tune in Progress Threads

Some folks here have decided to "put it all out there" and post songs they've written in various stages of completion, and allow others to critique them, give advice, pats on the back, etc.

If you'd like to participate, we ask only that you title your thread "Tune in Progress: ____________" (where the blank is your song's title) This will allow for easy searching.

Please start a new thread for your song, don't tack it on to someone else's.

Give us as much info as you can about the song--a lead sheet would be great, audio, video, whatever you can put together. We can discuss arranging, writing, getting back to the top, improvising, whatever.

If you choose to critique, please do so constructively...In my art classes, we do this, and nobody goes home with hard feelings. Use "I" statements--and try to keep it about the song, don't get too personal--and don't take it too personal.

EXAMPLES:

" I don't like the bridge." (Not constructive)

"I feel like the bridge would be even better with a key change" (Constructive)

"That solo was sloppy" (not constructive)

"I think your fingers might have gotten ahead of your ideas a few times during the solo, but I loved the lick at 3:28" (constructive)

If you do post a "Tune in progress," it's an open invitation to criticism. Hopefully everyone will be helpful...I will remove and hurtful or insulting posts.

I think this could make for some great reads, and some really helpful posts...plus, it'll be cool to see how folks compose...

Thanks in advance for your cooperation, and in keeping this one of the coolest little corners of the internet going...
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Right on Jeff, +1 to all you said.

For me this are the type of topics I like the most. I find that participation in this type of topic has an immediate and positive impact on me as a musician. And this is just as true whether I'm the one posting a tune or the one commenting on a tune.

And I hope perhaps I might help someone else in the same way you all help me.

Actually, I'm just trying to say... This is a jazz guitar forum, and these are the type of threads you all should consider participating in.

Awe-SOME! Thanks Mr. B! I'll be in on it for sure.

very cool... should be fun...

Ok Mr B... I have to compose three tunes in less than a week, two for small ensemble and one for a Big band... Oh yea, no sleep. I'll post rough and final versions...Reg

Here we go! Bring 'em on.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

Howie, mind if I move this to it's own thread?--you'll get more traffic.
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:

yup

Yes, go for it Jeff. Sometimes I forget how to use the forum. Must be Oldtimers happening. thanks Jeff.

wiz

Good idea! As soon as I can make my own video I gonna post it. I will try recording my playing with line in, and make a post.

Cool beans Doc...

Dear Jeff,

i'm new to the forum and pretty new to jazz. This tune i wrote this morning is a pretty simple progression, possibly a bit naff compared to some of the great subtle stuff on this site. Open to ideas for different changes. All the best,
    Mozzy Morrow

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed