The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
Posts 376 to 386 of 386

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Can you post a chart? I'm not working through any books actually.
    I'll try to remember this evening. Once I figured out the actual titles I can play along with the records using his "moves" (The author played with Basie band for 6 years) instead of my auto pilot stuff.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Summer of Rhythm Guitar 2024-img_9579-jpg here is the chart. not sure how to flip it, the orientation is right on my phone

User Info Menu

here's the tunes I decoded:
    1. "Urban Sprawl" is Satin Doll
    2. "Great bebop love" is There is no greater love
    3. "Swing the stomp" is stompin' at the savoy
    4. "throw the yellow stone" is In a mellow tone
    5. "Mellower car lights" is stella

this book would be an awesome study group!

User Info Menu

I'm nearing the end of my summer, so today's musings are about what I think I got out of this process so far.

Bonus tune: When it's Sleepy Time Down South

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the suggestions, Jeff, and the hints. They've been super useful.

It's the hottest day (almost 36°C) of the summer so far here in Paris, which means it isn't as hot as it is in other parts of Europe (it was over 38° in Firenze, for example), but it's hot nonetheless. And here in Paris, as in much of Europe, we generally don't have air conditioning in our apartments. So we don't move around a lot.

Sweet Lorraine has been ricocheting across my brain for the last few weeks, and I've been playing around with it. Here's a video for our Summer of Rhythm 2024 – played acoustically on my Triggs St. Croix:

User Info Menu

We played our annual Big Band Gig yesterday, and here's a quick and dirty iPhone clip.

I'm not playing textbook FG-style though. On slower tempos like this i sometimes prefer full voicings.

Paul

User Info Menu

Nice!

Today is my last day of summer, so I'll try to do a final thoughts video at some point...unfortunately life is about to get a lot busier.

User Info Menu

Well, so long summer. I'll post some official last musings this week, but thanks to all of those who played along and pushed me along.

User Info Menu

It's been a fun ride Jeff.

User Info Menu

Not sure if this is a good place to post this but I thought I'd share as I loved the comping in that video - my idea of great jazz rhythm guitar

Edit: the guitarist's name is Elliott Knuets. He was 16 at the time.
    Last edited by m_d; 08-31-2024 at 05:59 AM.

User Info Menu

I would just call that great comping. Excellent video!