The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Not very long ago, the house band at a jam night carried around a pile of fake books, including and especially the Real Book. Now, they have only phones or iPads on their music stands.

Is there a particular app to use for such a thing?

Google has been unhelpful.

TIA

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

you can buy pdf copies of the real book or you can google "557 jazz standards pdf"

There's also ireal which is just the changes and no melody. I don't know if the songs cost extra on that.

I like paper. So I can put my phone (the distraction) in another room and concentrate.

User Info Menu

For phones/tablets, I think iReal Pro is pretty much the standard. Chord charts for well over 1200 tunes are available, and that's just for jazz, there are more for other genres. I also like Fakebook Pro, which imports .pdf files, and comes with 1200 or so tunes. All the files are free, but I think iReal Pro requires a license, I think ~$16 now. I got it so long ago I can't remember. Fakebook Pro might require a license, I can't remember. But both are worth the money.

User Info Menu

I have a large number of fake books in pdf format. I have uploaded them to an app named “forscore”. It’s a PDF reader. Most musicians I know that use iPads at gigs use this method.
    The original Real Books (the illegal ones) volume 1-3 are floating around on the internet and are fairly easy to find.
    As others have said, IReal is an app that has thousands of chord charts for any and every song you can think of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. I do have iReal Pro, but I sort of assumed they were playing off lead sheets. Maybe the horn players are using Fakebook Pro, which I hadn’t heard of.

Thanks again.

User Info Menu

I want to find a program that has the melody with them. I have downloaded all the real books that are available on the internet but would be nice to have all in one place. I have BIAB which is great but for just picking up and reading tunes it lacks the ease of sheets of music.

User Info Menu

"Google has been unhelpful"

Many real book charts can be found on Google by punching in, for ex. "End of a love affair chords" or charts, sheet music.
    Then click on "images"

User Info Menu

I have a bunch of fakebooks in pdf. Instead of foreshore, I found Newzik, which works on my iPad. It just added a feature where I can extract a song from a fakebook to form a set list.

User Info Menu

The Apple world guys I know use Forescore and seem to have a zillion charts, so there's some way of doing that and having them indexed or searchable.

I'm Android/Windows based, and could use a recommendation for something similar.

User Info Menu

Get Mobilesheets, by far the best app for Android. Only works on tablets though, no phones. They have a forum where you can download all the real books etc.

You have normal real book type charts, setlists, all different ways to organize and index the music. You can even Bluetooth tablets together so the leader changes the tune for all.

There's also Fakebook pro for Android, but I bought and tried both programs this summer and Mobilesheets was on a different level, and like 8 € difference in price.

These days if I have to read melodies it's tablet and mobilesheets, for chord only trivial stuff gigs it's phone and ireal.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I use MobileSheetsPro app on a Android tablet. It costs around 15 € in Europe.
    Very easy to use.

This is now my one and only French language bookmark.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "Google has been unhelpful"

Many real book charts can be found on Google by punching in, for ex. "End of a love affair chords" or charts, sheet music.
    Then click on "images"
    You can also try “pdf” and/or “download” after the title. Sometimes the best you can find is an image that you can’t download (free or for $). If it’s the only score I can find for a tune I need, I make a screen capture, edit the image, and convert it to a pdf.

We’ve had a few vocalists put truly obscure tunes on their playlists. One was from 1936 (the song, not the vocalist) and was only available as a full piano score on an equally obscure academic website. So I had to cut and paste the treble staff into a lead sheet and add chord symbols for the bass. Thankfully, these are g,b,d trio gigs and I learned the melody from a YT video - so I didn’t need the melody on the sheet. And equally thankfully, she did it in the original key or I’d have had to make an iReal sheet for it.

There are a few really good fake book archives. Here’s my favorite fake book archive and here’s a communal one that I like. I’ve not had a problem with either one, both of which are clean according to the Norton and Kaspersky security products I use.

User Info Menu

MobileSheets is now available for iPad, too.
    As said above, the best app for organizing song sheets. The sheets may be either pdf or jpg. You can also link a song with a stored soundfile.
    And it has a genius like edit panel.

Also the best for use on stage. I use a bluetooth pager and let the pages turn half page only on the first step on the pager. Second step is the full page. Makes it stress free on stage

User Info Menu