The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

As the title says what are your favourite subs and/or voicings for ATTYA?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There's the classic bebop half step ii-V's

F-7/Bb-7/E-7 A7/Ebm7 Ab7/Db/D-7 G7/C/C

then B-7 E7/Bbm7 Eb7 on the next 8

I recall a Jerry Bergonzi reharmonization that starts on F#-9, f I ever find the chart I'll post it

PK

User Info Menu

This may not be what you’re looking for, but the original sheet music doesn’t have a Bdim7 in bar 32. It’s a sparse voicing on piano, arguably Em7b5. That’s what I play, or Em7b5 to Bbdim7.

User Info Menu

Whatever Tigran is doing here. I like that

I started transcribing but forgot. Will get back to it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paulkogut

I recall a Jerry Bergonzi reharmonization that starts on F#-9, f I ever find the chart I'll post it

PK
    Cool, I was messing with Bm7 instead of Dm7 and had the F# in the bass so it's fun to see this.

User Info Menu

I don't care. The odd tritone in the right place maybe but extreme reharms usually just mess it up. I've yet to find a reharm that grabs the ear and has people going wow. You could say that for most tunes actually.

User Info Menu

PK
    It might be ‘All The Thangs’ in the Music of Jerry Bergonzi book here (it’s not in the standards reharm book).

Jerry made these tunes freely available, so it’s all legit.

The Music of Jerry Bergonzi - JEFF ELLWOOD

User Info Menu

I just did this (without reference to anything else). Be honest, it'll make me millions as film music :-)

Fm7b5 - E7b5 - Cm6 - Bm6#5
    Dm7b5 - Db7b5 - AM7 - Eb7b9
    Cm7 - Fm7b5 - E7b5 - EbM7#5
    DbM7 - Ab7b5 - CM7 - %

Graham, you are returned!

User Info Menu

That's it!

Thanks,

PK

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I don't care. The odd tritone in the right place maybe but extreme reharms usually just mess it up. I've yet to find a reharm that grabs the ear and has people going wow. You could say that for most tunes actually.
    I'd make an exception for Vic Juris who recorded his complete reharm of ATTYA (inspired by listening to Radiohead) on a few occasions:

http://www.poparad.com/pdf/attya-c.pdf

User Info Menu

Coleman Hawkins probably came up with those subs. The tune was written in 1939 and Bean is already playing them in his 1944 rendition.

I'll sometimes move to Cma7#5 for the resolution of that initial phrase. It forms a nice connection between the two initial keys of Ab and C major.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    I'd make an exception for Vic Juris who recorded his complete reharm of ATTYA (inspired by listening to Radiohead) on a few occasions
    Agreed, it's not bad :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Agreed, it's not bad :-)
    ATTYA seems a prime candidate for a reharmonisation as the melody moves slowly, often at one note per chord change. The challenge is that the both the melody and harmonic cycle are very well known so a badly placed sub can sound particularly gratuitous and easily 'mess things up', as you say. The trick is to create some kind of logical bass movement and inner voice-leading as Juris does in his version.

User Info Menu

But you'll notice that, in order to produce a different sound, both Juris and myself instinctively felt the need to make it 'moody'. Given that premise it's fairly easy to produce a reharm. For one thing the melody is very sparse which simplifies things a lot. It would be a lot harder to do a reharm at a medium swing tempo, which is how most jazz versions are played.