The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Saw one today. E(b5)/Eb. In a Hermeto Pascoal tune called Montreaux.

In Hermeto's original chart the chord is written E/Eb, but the melody note is a Bb, quarter note tied into an eighth note triplet.

Sequence is Gm7 G/B Cm7 Ebmaj7 E(b5)/Eb Eb/Db D/C.

Two beats each except for the E(b5)
    /Eb and Eb/Db -- one beat each.

One place I can hear it is in Bbm7b5 to E(b5)/Eb to an Ab tonic, maybe Abm6 or Abminmaj7 or Abmaj7. A ii V I with a twist.

That is, it becomes an out-there Eb dominant sound. It can sub for either the iim7b5 or the V7(with alterations).

Try playing it x6788x.

Please chip in to the pile of unknown chords.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 07-28-2022 at 10:28 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I have several but I have no idea what they are

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Saw one today. E(b5)/Eb. In a Hermeto Pascoal tune called Montreaux.

Please chip in to the pile of unknown chords.
    Might that not be some kind of voicing of a lydian chord, maybe a IVM with the 7th in the bass? Part of a line cliche? Sometimes there's a sound that's conveyed by a chord and we get into the debate of the functional rationalization of a chord, some justification given through a name when it's really a sound going to a sound.
    A name isn't what gives a chord its justification or definition, sometimes it's something to call a group of notes that happens to describe movement from one place to another. There are plenty of times when chords can be perfect for a context, yet they defy naming so someone picks something that describes the assemblage of notes not necessarily functionally.
    There are entire books of chords, especially in a voice led context, where it doesn't serve one well to attempt to name the chord.

I posted it just because it's unusual.

The notes are Eb E Ab Bb.

If I had to find a more conventional name I might think about Emaj7b5/Eb.

Hermeto writes his chords his own way (at least at times), specifying a stack of intervals, rather than a chord name. I've heard him arrange a horn section by singing the notes to the players, including some unusual intervals.

User Info Menu

Ebmaj7 to E(b5)/Eb might be described as two
    Eb chords, second one named as Ebsus4addb9