Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

New vid

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Why?

I mean, why is this not a 4 (or more) part fugue of at least 20 minutes played on an appropriate church organ?

User Info Menu

“Appropriate church organ”?
    By definition could an organ in a church be inappropriate?
    Actually now that I think about it…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Why?

I mean, why is this not a 4 (or more) part fugue of at least 20 minutes played on an appropriate church organ?
    Because I don’t play the organ?

User Info Menu

Which I think has to be a good thing, because as bad as I am now imagine how much worse I’d be if I could do the feet

User Info Menu

You can do the feet…you use the spaces between sharp pedals with your toe to navigate and then use your heel to land on the note you’re hoping for)))

(Performance major, classical organ here. Entitles you to be underpaid, be strangled between the clergy, worship committees and the congregation. If the donor of the current organ is still around, your stop selection (sound timbres) will be theirs not yours, in spite of your intense study of 17th century organ registration. And lets not forget: ‘the organist is too loud, soft, fast, slow’.
    Tough life, but no drunks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    If the donor of the current organ is still around
    Rarely the case for what I meant with appropriate organs back here in Europe (or else in a reliquary in which case they'd also not bother you )

User Info Menu

Have you made a vid of how the whole thing sounds? I would say a fellow guitarist can visually suss out most of the fingerings you're using (¿no?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    “Appropriate church organ”?
    By definition could an organ in a church be inappropriate?
    Actually now that I think about it…
    Guitars, sports cars, gun collections, guitar collections... are these compensation for organ envy?
    What WAS Bach trying to prove by having 21(?) children?
    Bach had all those children because his organ had no stops.

User Info Menu

Organists envy organs, of course. Kind of like GAS. But some of us prefer one kind of organ, and some prefer, well, never mind.

Lets see… guitars 7 checks. Sports car, check. Gun, my brother borrowed and never returned, so no check. And I have at least one organ. But the movers collapsed the rolling cover and it’s still jammed half way in the up position.

Bach had 21 children: His contracts at the Tomaskirche in Leipzig always included many casks of beer. in fact usually the first item on the list.

Darn he must have been a heck of a character.

User Info Menu

I think Bach was a mad lad

User Info Menu

Well I dont know if the organ people were appreciative of the post, but I was. Beautiful sounds and shapes!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 0zoro
    Well I dont know if the organ people were appreciative of the post, but I was. Beautiful sounds and shapes!
    thank you!

User Info Menu

Yes. This organist/guitarist definitely liked Christian’s work! jk

User Info Menu

I would be a bit kinder if you took down the pic of Ted and put yourself there..You make it look as if we're going to watch TG play it, not you..

User Info Menu

Thanks - really enjoyed the video and will shamelessly steal from it

been messing around improving on the figured bass to the c# minor prelude from book I of the WTC and its full of those 4/2 to 6/5 chains

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 0zoro
    Well I dont know if the organ people were appreciative of the post
    $$

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkInLA
    I would be a bit kinder if you took down the pic of Ted and put yourself there..You make it look as if we're going to watch TG play it, not you..
    That was not my intention. But I can see how you might be confused if you don’t know my channel. The title ‘how to’ implies a tutorial although perhaps you thought that tutorial might have been delivered by the man himself

there are some videos with him discussing this stuff elsewhere on YT which I could link to if you are unaware of them; but they are more like discussions than focussed masterclasses or tutorials per se.

Adding the picture was a way of paying tribute - I haven’t noticed any effect on the performance of videos to add pictures like this although some people might think it does and attribute a more cynical motive (which I could understand).

But in my defence I don’t think referencing the great Ted in a video qualifies as click bait exactly, (maybe if I put Steve Vai or John Mayer on there.) If anything I’d hope it would encourage some of my viewers to check him out if they haven’t already. There’s a link in the video.

We’re you a student of Teds btw? I know there’s a few knocking around here. I’m curious as to how many Ted Greene students learned how to play the baroque style stuff he did so masterfully.
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 04-22-2022 at 03:36 AM.

User Info Menu

admittedly i was hoping for a ted greene vid as well.

ted greene on autumn leaves:

https://vhs.link/8T73vt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    admittedly i was hoping for a ted greene vid as well.

ted greene on autumn leaves:

https://vhs.link/8T73vt
    God rot you, Holger :-)

User Info Menu

To be in the style of Bach it should have at least 2 modulations in Dominant key then Subdominant key and then back to Tonic)

I appreciate your insight in the texture and voicing possibilities though

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Because I don’t play the organ?
    You could at least drop to accurate historical pitch

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    You could at least drop to accurate historical pitch
    Like Jimi you mean?

User Info Menu

To be in the style of Bach it should have at least 2 modulations in Dominant key then Subdominant key and then back to Tonic)

but AL does modulate to the relative major and back - just as Bach would do in a minor key piece

User Info Menu

Fair dos.

from my reading what’s quite interesting is it is not at all clear whether 18th century composers understood these as separate keys, which kind of reinforces your point. They are just natural mutations of the basic key (also relative minor of course.) But to discuss that further would require descent into the world of hexachordal solfege and tbh I’m not sure if I really quite understand that. Mi and Fa, fa and mi. As Bach said.

thanks. It’s all a bit complicated and long winded explaining 2 to 6 suspension chains in jazz language but I’m hoping to make it accessible.

It’s also necessary to use theoretical roots to use this stuff with jazz standards.