The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39
    I would master the fingerstyle version first, ie bass lines with chord stabs. Using a pick to create bass lines and more fluid harmonic movement is a little more tricky, because there's not a lot of info out there. However, I see them as flowing into each other. Comping in a duo means you are the rhythm section. So, typically, the head has a two feel (broken bass with chords). The first chorus of a solo goes into a four feel (walking bass), and in the subsequent choruses the drums might go up a gear driving the rhythm harder. To emulate that is a duo you would use a pick and strum bass and chords to drive the rhythm harder. In one of the videos I posted above, you can see and hear this very clearly happening.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I prefer just flowing between bars and grabbing what bass chord tones you can. It approximates the bass line one you get going and sounds good. It isn't the end of the world if you only play roots on a few chords here and there, or only play a root and 1 other chord tone. This is actually how I play organ as a matter of fact. I just play roots with my foot and try to lead into the next chord as I can and eventually the whole thing takes shape and grooves together.

User Info Menu

I don’t do the walking-bass thing that often, but I don’t think it’s all that difficult once you work out some basic strategies, as others have mentioned above. Here’s something I did once using it:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I don’t do the walking-bass thing that often, but I don’t think it’s all that difficult once you work out some basic strategies, as others have mentioned above. Here’s something I did once using it:

Thanks, Grahambop. I don't know what other kind of Jazz you play, but your bop always hits the mark. And Joyspring is such a wonderful song IMHO. It never gets old.

User Info Menu

Here is Martin Taylor demonstration, possibly from his course. Click on the view video button.

Martin Taylor Walking Bass for Jazz Guitar | Fundamental Changes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    The second type seems to have the comper actually play chords, moving them around such that he/she creates a bass line.
    Louis Stewart tought me that in the 80/90s ... new chord and bass note on every beat. Today they call it "shell voicing" but that was it he was using then.
    Hear it in action on unsurpassed level (after the head):

Last edited by DonEsteban; 03-03-2022 at 09:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Same CD:

kind of humbling, isn't it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    Same CD:

Thanks. I am a big fan of Stewart. I will be checking this out for sure!

This is a great example of walking bass lines and soloing. Martin takes the first solo while Louis digs in with bass lines. It sounds like he's plucking the bass with his thumb nail, which makes the bass stand out more. That may be a good, or bad thing. I personally think it interferes a little with the soloist. Martin's accompaniment mutes the bass more, and he usually (not here) sits back more in the mix. Whatever, it doesn't get much better than this. Especially the way the head is played.

A discussion on walking bass lines wouldn't be complete without a mention of Tuck Andress, who puts a back beat behind his playing. Notice he uses the side of his thumb so the bass is muted and chords are plucked or struck with the flesh of finger tips. Pretty effective.

Oh, and if Tuck doesn't impress, here's Sylvain Luc interspersing solo guitar with bass lines. FFW to 225. He sometimes de-tunes his bass strings and does bass solos just on two strings. Quite amazing to watch.

User Info Menu

After listening to all the examples, I can see that I prefer a more midtempo groove when using walking bass. It is more how I envisioned it to be used. Those faster tempos actually sound a little "chaotic" to my years, especially with the single notes from the soloist. Someone mentioned that this could be the case earlier in the thread. I am now hearing it in some of the examples. Just my humble opinion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    Same CD:

I saw Martin Taylor in the eighties in a small club here. It was a quintet gig, but he did a sologuitar feature of Cherokee, playing basslines, chords and the melody simultaneously in a tempo like this.

User Info Menu