The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

Hi everyone,

I'm very glad to have found this forum and am hoping someone can be of assistance.

I would like to start learning the basic melodies and chords to jazz standards. I'm familiar with The Real Book volumes but I was wondering if there is a more affordable source where I can find similar charts to jazz standards.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by twalker123; 12-27-2021 at 03:36 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thank so much. However, I was hoping for something with the melody as well, much like what is presented in the Real Books

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rrbasic
    That’s a great resource, but it doesn’t have the melodies the OP is also looking for. I’m not aware of anywhere that has the melodies and chord changes for free.

I certainly wouldn't mind paying for a source at all. Those Real Books can really add up in price.

User Info Menu

Sheet Music Direct is an excellent resource. Inexpensive yet extensive and it allows you to save PDFs and print as often as you wish (from memory, many other sheet music sites are limited in that regard):

All The Things You Are Sheet Music | Jerome Kern | Real Book – Melody, Lyrics & Chords

User Info Menu

C-jam - New Orleans jambook A-L
    That's the first page, there are links to the rest of the alphabet.

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Sheet Music Direct is an excellent resource. Inexpensive yet extensive and it allows you to save PDFs and print as often as you wish (from memory, many other sheet music sites are limited in that regard):

All The Things You Are Sheet Music | Jerome Kern | Real Book – Melody, Lyrics & Chords

Great!!! Just what I was looking for!!! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell

Thanks!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by twalker123
    Thank so much. However, I was hoping for something with the melody as well, much like what is presented in the Real Books
    Why not learn to sing the melodies and try to play them on the guitar once you can do this?

Standards are pop songs, albeit it very old ones. Would you learn a pop song from the music?

User Info Menu

Somewhere on the internet there is a big file which contains mp3s of a great many important jazz standards.

Listening to that a few dozen times will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Why not learn to sing the melodies and try to play them on the guitar once you can do this?

Standards are pop songs, albeit it very old ones. Would you learn a pop song from the music?
    Some I'm familiar with, but not enough to sing the complete melodies correctly.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by twalker123
    Some I'm familiar with, but not enough to sing the complete melodies correctly.
    this is a good thing to be work on if you want to be able to improvise on a song. In fact it may be the most important thing for keeping track of form, chords etc.

Takes me blinking ages to learn the melody to anything haha but it’s time well spent

User Info Menu

Cool finding some resources I wasn’t aware of. The one thing I’ll say is having a copy of the Real Book Vol. 1 isn’t a bad thing. It’s (or maybe I’m old and it “was”) the lingua franca of jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Walker
    Cool finding some resources I wasn’t aware of. The one thing I’ll say is having a copy of the Real Book Vol. 1 isn’t a bad thing. It’s (or maybe I’m old and it “was”) the lingua franca of jazz.
    See my post above (post no. 10). All 3 volumes of the old Real Book are available as PDFs from the webpage in the second link.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ
    Nice link above. For years there has been a set of PDFs circulating that has:

Real Books 1 2 and 3
    New Real Book
    Colorado
    Jazz Fakebook
    and some otthers

For me the way to approach learning standards is to first find a standard you like then seek out the chart.
    There are many lists of top standards you should learn first. These lists are a good way of narrowing things down.

User Info Menu

Search the name of the song and then lead sheet in google images.

User Info Menu

For officially published fakebooks, there's a great tune index at The Fake Book Index

Sounds like you don't want to buy $150 worth of books right of the bat, but it may come in handy sometime.

I'm partial to the Chuck Sher publications, particularly The Standards Real Book, which focuses on pop tunes that are now jazz standards. Also, Sher's "New Real Book" vols. 1-3 have more tunes written by jazz composers (including post-1970 stuff), though they also have some Great American Songbook tunes.

But if you want something for jam sessions, the Real Book (original or Hal Leondard legit versions) are probably a better bet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    Search the name of the song and then lead sheet in google images.
    This is the only true and correct answer. Followed with a reminder that you get what you pay for
    Last edited by AllanAllen; 12-29-2021 at 10:07 AM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

At least get real book volume 1. That plus stealing free lead sheets will get you there. The following volumes are good also. I use those occasionally. I have a bunch of other books that I never use like the beatles fake book, t monk fake book, omnibook etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 44lombard
    I'm partial to the Chuck Sher publications, particularly The Standards Real Book, which focuses on pop tunes that are now jazz standards. Also, Sher's "New Real Book" vols. 1-3 have more tunes written by jazz composers (including post-1970 stuff), though they also have some Great American Songbook tunes.
    I've had the new real book forever, and totally agree the Sher stuff is great. It's really well put together and very clear manuscript

User Info Menu

The New Real Book is generally pretty accurate to the recorded version (they tell you which in the back)

The only problem I found using it is that the repertoire of tunes is different to the old RB and a lot of players build their repertoire around those, although this is less of an issue nowadays I think (iReal changed things, also I think I play with better musicians who learn tunes differently.)