1. #1

    User Info Menu

    I'm working through this Vincent book (loving it, btw) and this section (screenshot below) Ex. 1-28 says to play the first chord at the 9th fret. However that would be either a C# (6th string) or F# (5th string).

    Instead it seems like the first chord should start on the 11th fret, sounding notes G# B and E (5th, 4th and 3rd strings respectively).

    Am I missing something? I've come across a few instances of the words not matching up with the fretboard.

    Thanks!

    Typos in Randy Vincent's "A Guitarist's Introduction to Jazz"-vincent-1-small-jpg

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonblazer
    Instead it seems like the first chord should start on the 11th fret, sounding notes G# B and E (5th, 4th and 3rd strings respectively).
    No, that’s at the 9th fret. Fret positions for chords are usually given by reference to the lowest fret used in the chord (regardless of which string it’s on).

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    I have the same book and I find that, at times, you need to anylize what Randy writes out. For me, it helps to remember it. But it can also be a head scratcher at times. It's deffinately an excellent book for getting started with jazz.
    I'm using it as a refresher course

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonblazer
    I'm working through this Vincent book (loving it, btw) and this section (screenshot below) Ex. 1-28 says to play the first chord at the 9th fret. However that would be either a C# (6th string) or F# (5th string).

    Instead it seems like the first chord should start on the 11th fret, sounding notes G# B and E (5th, 4th and 3rd strings respectively).

    Am I missing something? I've come across a few instances of the words not matching up with the fretboard.

    Thanks!

    Typos in Randy Vincent's "A Guitarist's Introduction to Jazz"-vincent-1-small-jpg
    yeah its a bit confusing...I had to re-read it...its correct though..and as noted for chords its usually the lowest fret that determines the location
    the first chord is E/G#

    note fret
    E 9
    B 9
    G# 11

    the diagram is for the D6/9

    D 5
    E 2
    B 4

    hope this helps
    Last edited by wolflen; 11-01-2021 at 02:49 PM.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Yes no typo... normal chord study with common tones

    Personally... the E/G# is not really a variation of C-7...
    E/G# is an inversion of E maj. Triad.

    Emaj can be a Diatonic Functional Sub. for C-7... And I'm sure Randy is well aware of that.

    The D's are a little rough on Gma7.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Yes no typo... normal chord study with common tones

    Personally... the E/G# is not really a variation of C-7...
    E/G# is an inversion of E maj. Triad.

    Emaj can be a Diatonic Functional Sub. for C-7... And I'm sure Randy is well aware of that.

    The D's are a little rough on Gma7.
    Reg..its a C#-7..so its the vi7 in E maj. (a typo perhaps reg - wolfgrin)

    to me this is a descending progression -- the bass note in whole steps resolving in DMA .. in place of diatonic movement iii7 vi7 ii7 V7 I resolving in G MA

    cant comment beyond this -- not knowing how this is used in context of the overall lessons ..