The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Any chance anyone has transcriptions or insight into Joe Pass' comping with the Gerald Wilson Big Band? It's definitely more involved than the straight Freddie Green quarter note style. I would be very interested in some voicings and rhythms he was using in these recordings. I have been listening to the "Moment of Truth" (1962) album.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The longer and closer you listen to these tracks the more you'll be able to figure it out yourself. Very doubtful that you'll find any transcriptions since these recordings are quite obscure and the records loooong out of print > very few people are aware of it. In 1962 Joe was also featured on "Sounds of Synanon" but on there he is the soloist and his comping is not as prominent.

User Info Menu

According to his various books and videos, Joe said he just used fairly simple chord forms that he could grab quickly. He did not like anything too complicated or involving difficult stretches. So you could try the Joe Pass chords book, he says in the intro that it covers most of the chords he uses.

I have this book and most of the chords I still use come from it.

I know it's obscure but I was hoping to get lucky haha I'm going to do my best to transcribe it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    According to his various books and videos, Joe said he just used fairly simple chord forms that he could grab quickly. He did not like anything too complicated or involving difficult stretches. So you could try the Joe Pass chords book, he says in the intro that it covers most of the chords he uses.

I have this book and most of the chords I still use come from it.
    That is a great idea! Thank you

User Info Menu

I had a quick listen to some of those Gerald Wilson tracks and it was difficult to hear much of Joe’s comping, he is very low in the mix and is frequently blotted out by all the brass etc., or at least he was on the bits I listened to.

If I was going to study his comping I would probably start with a small group recording with no piano, e.g. Dizzy Gillespie’s Big 4:

User Info Menu

I would listen to Ed Bickert and his playing with Paul Desmond the best comping you will ever hear.