The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

What do you call a chord with a root note, a suspended 4, and an augmented 5? As an example, I have tried Asus4+5 but it looks odd. It plays about like a Dm/A but I wondered if there was a better name. Any input?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Context is important in harmony.

As you say, how do we know it’s not a Dmi?

That is, what key is the song in, and what chords precede and follow?

User Info Menu

7b13sus4.

If the context doesn't affect it, which it probably won't.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo
    What do you call a chord with a root note, a suspended 4, and an augmented 5? As an example, I have tried Asus4+5 but it looks odd. It plays about like a Dm/A but I wondered if there was a better name. Any input?
    Probably I’d just write Dm/A and forget about the enharmony in the same way that I would write Bb7#11 for a French Sixth chord; whatever is most readable is probably best for chord symbols…

User Info Menu

Asus(b6) or Dm/A or F6/A
    Last edited by kris; 10-10-2021 at 03:37 AM.

User Info Menu

If you want, say, exactly A D F, you should write it out. Not that hard to read and you get what you want.

If you have to communicate it with a chord symbol, it's Dm/A, for which you can get A D F or A F D (spread voicing). Or, knowing guitarists, you may get x 12 12 10 10 10. Or 557765. The notes of Dm with an A on the bottom.

I would not want to see anything else to specify the exact notes of a Dm triad with an A on the bottom. It would be confusing if I saw it on the fly.

If you make it a 7thsus or 13th chord, you get a G (and some other notes, depending on the exact chord symbol) which the OP didn't specify.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 10-10-2021 at 02:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    7b13sus4.

If the context doesn't affect it, which it probably won't.
    no 7
    what root name?

User Info Menu

The problem (at least one of them) with the OP is that it appears to assume that the bass note is the "root" note.

I guess we should tell Berklee to stop teaching all those closed and spread triads in every inversion, because they're all 13th chords?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo
    What do you call a chord with a root note, a suspended 4, and an augmented 5?
    Aloysius.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    Aloysius.
    Marmaduke.

Or Ermintrude.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Marmaduke.

Or Ermintrude.
    But it’s a sius chord!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    But it’s a sius chord!
    Jesus?

User Info Menu

Sus + aug = Augustus?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Jesus?

I know, I know, they should have muted the A string. Forgive them for they know not what they do.