The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For an intro i am a classical violinist in highschool and im thinking about joining our jazz band and learning guitar. Ive listened to jazz for a while and im learning the theory and basic chord shapes and by far my favorite to listen to is Django and Grapelli. So i then tried to find some info on comping in this style and I find all the shapes to be quite easier to remeber and play than the traditional(?) jazz chord shapes.

Would it be ok to use them for regular jazz ensembles?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

basically .... yes

i just discovered this Gypsy Jazz shape for D9

55455x
    with the 5th A on the bottom which is very nice and ‘thick’

for other styles you may want to
    play less notes in the chords
    and have less ‘percussion’
    (or propulsion) on the
    guitar comping ....
    Last edited by pingu; 10-05-2021 at 04:02 PM.

User Info Menu

For an old school big band sound, they're ok. I wouldn't bash out all 6 strings though...but you can play the whole chord, and focus on the middle strings...that would sound good.

The other big difference is the swing feel is a little different. But a lot of people exaggerate the "gypsy rhythm" thing too much. It's more even than a lot of folks think.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PaxDomini
    For an intro i am a classical violinist in highschool and im thinking about joining our jazz band and learning guitar. Ive listened to jazz for a while and im learning the theory and basic chord shapes and by far my favorite to listen to is Django and Grapelli. So i then tried to find some info on comping in this style and I find all the shapes to be quite easier to remeber and play than the traditional(?) jazz chord shapes.

Would it be ok to use them for regular jazz ensembles?

User Info Menu

Pingu, like Whit Smith, I like that voicing, but omitting the root on the 5th string. 5x455x, and also for the 7, just not playing the B string. It sounds better to me, with the 5th in the root, more space in the chord. Not every time, but most.