The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can anyone recommend books along the lines of Joe Pass Chord Solos? Something where there are phrases or movements shown instead of big lists of chords.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There are plenty. Try Amazon.

Chord Phrases by Ron Eschete,

Mel Bay Jazz Guitar Standards (three volumes of arrangements).

many others.......

User Info Menu

Chord Phrases by Ron Eschete

this ^^^^

plus Frank Vignola's TrueFire course "Chord Melody Etudes"

I have two books, both with chord solo ideas. One is a licks book with a section devoted to chordal licks, and the other is a chord melody book with transcribed chordal solos, where the chordal licks are applied in real time. My approach is to create fluid melodic movement by the interaction between bass, melody and harmony. Let me know if you have any questions.

Amazon.com

Sorry! Something went wrong!

Oops! One of the book links to Amazon have been automatically removed. If you search my name Victor Saumarez and jazz guitar books on Amazon, you will find them. In the mean time, let's try again.

Sorry! Something went wrong!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by acidskiffle
    Can anyone recommend books along the lines of Joe Pass Chord Solos? Something where there are phrases or movements shown instead of big lists of chords.
    Frank Vignola's TrueFire course "Chord Melody Etudes" is a great recommendation, but better than that is to subscribe to his channel. He goes through new CMs at least one per month. He performs the CM slowly by video step by step. The best $10 a month you can spend on learning jazz CMs. Site has plenty of downloads already in standard and tab notation. I think you can get a free 1 month trial. Nothing to loose... JD