User Info Menu

I’ve been working on Barry’s single note improv method for a couple years. It is time to work on the chording method now. I was wondering if any of you who have learned his way have any tricks you suggest for tackling it?

I have learned drop 2 voicing in all keys for 6thdim and m6thdim. I am working on being able to play many tunes using these voicing. I was thinking getting comfortable with this would be a good first step before adding different voicings and borrowing.

Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Pete

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Work on being able to instantly convert lead sheet chord symbols to 6-dim chords.

Work on expressing the harmony as horizontal movement on the 6-dim chord scales rather than as vertical block chords.

Work on chord melody where the melody notes are the top notes of the appropriate 6-dim chords.

Alan Kingstone’s book is a good resource, as are Chris Park’s and Thomas Echols’ youtube channels.

User Info Menu

Your first steps are correct.
    Get as comfortable with the four 6dim scales as possible.

Then look at each in association. For example: look at C major 7 and see C6/G6 with it ( the six on the fifth ).
    Move from each inversion to the others all over the board.

You will find the I6 ( root ) associated with the second inversion of the G6 ( G6/D ).
    G6//E with C6/E C6/G with G6/G and so on.

Good first steps.

User Info Menu

My tip is to order the Roni Ben-Hur DVD "Chordability". It has Barry's system laid out in an approachable, accessible manner, with essentially a PDF downloadable book--or at least is did. You may have to hunt for it, it came out in 2010. I'm a fan of Mr. Kingstone's book as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Onlyserious
    My tip is to order the Roni Ben-Hur DVD "Chordability". It has Barry's system laid out in an approachable, accessible manner, with essentially a PDF downloadable book--or at least is did. You may have to hunt for it, it came out in 2010. I'm a fan of Mr. Kingstone's book as well.
    Agreed. 'Chordability' is the place to start.

Tips for starting studying Barry Harris’ chording system?-51b5ld5rojl-_sy445_-jpg