The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Hi,

I used to be on the JustJazz yahoo group from time to time but it is defunct now. I've lurked on here before and like the participants, so I just registered. Here is a question for some of you working pro's, or amateurs like me.

This is a chord progression from a book on improvising that most likely comes from the first 8 bars of some jazz standard. Does anyone know a standard(s) that would fit this?

| Cm7 | Dm7(b5) G7(b9) | Cm7 | Fm7 G7(#9) |

| Cm7 | Dm7(b5) G7(b9) | Cm7 Dm7(b5) G7(b9) | Cm7 ||

Thanks,
    Frank

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You could say its a variant on the 'A' section of Topsy, with the ii7b5 substituting for bVI7 chord, and later the iv7 substituting in the same way.

The tune "Evenin'" made famous by Cab Calloway also uses this same "Topsy" minor progression...it's also similar to many other "slow drag" pieces like Fat's Waller's "Viper's Drag".

User Info Menu

Softly as in a Morning Sunrise.

Quote Originally Posted by 44lombard
    You could say its a variant on the 'A' section of Topsy, with the ii7b5 substituting for bVI7 chord, and later the iv7 substituting in the same way.

The tune "Evenin'" made famous by Cab Calloway also uses this same "Topsy" minor progression...it's also similar to many other "slow drag" pieces like Fat's Waller's "Viper's Drag".
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not that familiar with those substitutions so I'll be checking them out. I listened to "Evening" and "Viper's Drag". Haven't listened to Cab Callaway in a long time but he sure made some interesting music and had a great stage presence. Also reminded me of those Betty Boop cartoons that featured his music, but I'm dating myself <s>.

Quote Originally Posted by vsaumarez
    Yes, that's a great choice, thank you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vsaumarez
    I was thinking that too, but there's some stuff here that's off...

User Info Menu

most likely comes from the first 8 bars of some jazz standard
    A lot of books base their examples on standards but don't copy them exactly; they aren't necessarily a match, it's just for practice. When they do quote a standard it's usually identified.

I always thought it was a copyright issue. e.g. they can use the chord progression of a standard but not name it. I have method books that use the chord progressions to standards but name them differently but close enough that you know what they are. e.g. Autumn Leaves might be called Falling Leaves, Satin Doll might be called Silky Lady, I've even seen one called Cherry Key.

And yes they do sometimes simplify the chords to make it easier for beginners.

For me, it makes the lessons more interesting if I know a standard that is associated with those changes.

Looks similar to Blue Bossa to me. Am I off-base???

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

It’s not Blue Bossa, there are no modulations. I’d say it is Softly. Fm7 and Dm7b5 can sub for each other.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk