Hey guys here is a link on our interview Video with Jazz Guitarist Mark Whitfield, this segment is about comping like Freddie Green.

Hope it may be insightful and entertaining for ya'll.

For full interview:

The Brothers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Enjoyed that. Thanks for posting it.

User Info Menu

Nice interview. Basie made some small group albums that included Greene; this is my favorite.

Mark Whitfield on Count Basie & Freddie Green's Jazz Guitar Comping Rhythm-8f267fbf-8f29-4d12-b97c-017ec5bd5824-png

Get Together - YouTube

User Info Menu

great posts!!

User Info Menu

I saw MW in Lafayette Louisiana in 2010 - he was playing with his two sons (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    one on drums the other on piano

I was absolutely blown away by his playing - it was hip and full of drive and fun and magic

and I got the feeling by half way through that his boys were doing him a favour gigging with him! they were so wonderful on the drums and the piano (I don't know their names - but Whitfield might be one of them)

I had become a father maybe one year before the gig. shiittt. that's a high bar.

or a very low one. I think I heard that he was not around when they were growing up (not much anyway).

thus began a long and as yet unresolved period of confusion about how to be a really good dad.

but the gig was as good as anything I've seen in ten years.