The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

I think I could find a voicing for any chord in any key from frets 3 to 8 (6 frets) which for me really is the sweet spot for fingering chords on the neck.
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 02-20-2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: error

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I think I could find any chord voicing in any key from frets 3 to 8 (6 frets) which for me really is the sweet spot for fingering chords on the neck.
    Please show us!

User Info Menu

Because the chromatic scale is present in 6 frets or 5 frets then all the notes are present to play whatever you choose with a few proviso if you are trying to play all the notes simultaneously.

Ex.1 (on frets 0-5)
    Desired chord E major, voicing EG#BE
    In the higher octave no problem.
    In the lower octave E and G# are on the same string and impossible to sound at the same time.

Ex.2 Even when the notes are there on the guitar, each of us has our own limitation of what we can possibly play.
    Some challenging structures will come together with faith, practice and time and others are impossible.

We can come close to playing everything (functionally) in 6 frets but not in every possible inversion.
    To play the chords of a song in every key in one position requires that we be aware of many ways to cover
    the functional harmony within the limitations of the chosen guitar terrain.
    Using various broken chord approaches will expand those boundaries greatly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Voicings? For comping, or a chord melody arrangement?

Either way:

1. All the things you are
    2. Bluesette
    3. One note samba

Index finger on 2nd fret.
    Index finger 2nd fret = 2nd 3rd 4th 5th fret, plus one either way (we get six frets right?) = 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th & 6th fret. (I could have done it with one less fret, but those ain't the rules.)

All The Things You Are, I picked that one. Because...

Did you know if you took the roots of the chords for that tune and listed them you'd have every chromatic pitch represented as a root of some chord in the song. Did I say that right? In other words, the song's chord roots include Ab A Bb B C Db D Eb E F F# G... I can't think of any other song that I can say that about.

So here's a chord excercise, yeah that's what it is, an excercise. Because, I wouldn't play this way, but I do include this as part of my practice. It increases my fretboard knowledge, chord knowledge, and I sometimes stumble upon new ideas.

As an aside - Notice the last stave... In Sibelius; Does anyone know how to delete the extra measures without having that last measure stretch across the whole page?