The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 85 of 85

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

In fact it's the only things i can learn i found video on youtube by Ben Eller which explain that.
    If you know major and minor scale, construction, pattern you can be able to learn all mode , because thy have little different thing in their construction.

Thank you for your answer, it's the first time i see that type of notation. In major case i see Aug for augmented, Dim for diminished.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pow
    Thank you for your answer, it's the first time i see that type of notation. In major case i see Aug for augmented, Dim for diminished.
    You will find a wide range of chord symbol variations to represent the same
    structure. Also due to contextual considerations the same chord shape/grip
    will be used to represent multiple chords.

Ex. X D Ab C F X

Dm7b5 // Fm6 // Bb9 // E7#5b9 // G7susb9***// Abma13b5(no 7th)***

*** = possible but less common

Such is the state of the chord symbol universe.

I don't really understand the end of your text, does it mean all chords you've noted are the same one ?

User Info Menu

I don't really understand the end of your text, does it mean all chords you've noted are the same one ?
    Bako is very good at chord construction..to answer you..yes those chords all have the same notes in them and can be named any of those chords
    but it all depends on how they are used in a progression (context) this will decided their function.

Yes this can be (and is) confusing..not only to those new to music/guitar..but to advanced and pro players as well.

Don't try to understand it for now..as you learn more about music/guitar..and harmony in particular this will become clear

User Info Menu

Ex. X D Ab C F X

this chord, the D root note steers it towards Dm7b5 (X 1 b5 b7 b3 X) as the most obvious answer.

This chord like many others can function as many other things.
    I list possibilities.

One way to explore this topic is to play the same chord over different bass notes. On guitar this works best for chords whose bass note is not too low.

I have learn something about harmonisation
    if you want to realise a perfet effect in your song with tapping : using for example G#BE (1st guitar) BEG#(2nd guitar) and EG#B (3rd guitar)
    that's what i know about harmonisation this is the same note but not in same order or not on the same octave or string , right ?

User Info Menu

I have learn something about harmonisation
    if you want to realise a perfet effect in your song with tapping : using for example G#BE (1st guitar) BEG#(2nd guitar) and EG#B (3rd guitar)
    that's what i know about harmonisation this is the same note but not in same order or not on the same octave or string , right ?
    those are the inversions of the E major chord...and they will sound good on three guitars if played that way

My reference to harmony-in my post above-is the harmonization of the major scale (Diatonic Harmony)

CMaj Dmin Emin FMaj GMaj Amin Bdim

these chords use only the notes of the CMajor scale
    C D E F G A B

If this is not clear..do some reading on Diatonic Harmony Its not that difficult and will help to understand chord construction and function ALOT

Thank you i found a good website with good definition : Harmonisation is to created chords with notes of a scale with the thrids . It gives us Triades if you choose only 3notes whereas if you choose 4notes it's Tetrades.