The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 85
    I'm already in learning of "intervals" . I'm understand thank you for all of your suggestions and advise

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pow
    Hi,

I would like to have construction of Dom7sus4, Dom7#4, Dom7b5, Maj7#5, Maj7b5 and m7#5

but i want to have an example of tabs with as your example you give me for m7 arpeggios, only if you want. I don't want make mistake on my learning.
    Sure I have a couple and will send in a sec. Learning scales, chords, and arpeggios with visual aids like these diagrams is very helpful at first. It really speeds ones learning. Once you learn them you won't need the diagrams anymore - IF - you practice them frequently. Otherwise, you'll backslide and will likely need diagrams again. So, it's good to have them.

A few notes:

1. For 7th chord arpeggios Dom7#4 and Dom7b5 are the same thing so you should scratch the Dom7#4 from your list
    2. You should learn some basic music theory, how to harmonize scales, and how to build chords from the root up while fully understanding the interval for each chord tone - and the resulting chord names.
    3. Armed with that knowledge you should be able to mark up some diagrams like these on your own. I just used MS Excel and a pencil.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Dom7sus4

Am7 positions ?-img_0846-jpg

User Info Menu

Dom7#5

Am7 positions ?-img_0847-jpg

User Info Menu

I'm already in learning of "intervals" . I'm understand thank you for all of your suggestions and advise
    I’m quite serious BTW, not trying to be a dick. You will retain information better if you work it out yourself.

When I was starting I would spend hours on long car journeys writing out positions for the modes and so on, when I couldn’t actually pick up a guitar. I think it was good for me.

You don’t learn by being a passive learner. Teachers aren’t there to spoonfeed you info. They should be there to teach you how to teach yourself. Which is great for the student, but a terrible business model.

Here’s a video I did a while back:

User Info Menu

But from the OP I’d say you are coming at it kind of backwards. I honestly find myself at a loss with this kind of question...

I remember playing my first Zeppelin riffs when I was starting and I didn’t know anything about arpeggios. Someone taught me riffs by showing me.... I was crap, but I was just playing music with a band. And I got better FAST.

Information just comes through garbled up and it has no context. Not your fault. I mean you don’t yet know what positions are yet and yet you are asking about altered dominants. It’s like trying to do calculus when you can’t count to ten. And even you get that stuff together quickly you are missing out on what’s important about being a musician - playing music.

i got around to all that stuff later, but for a beginner this stuff is just inappropriate. Focus on the basics first and play music.

I play lot of music and now I want to really understand what i'm doing that's it.
    I know triades, chords but not all of us, arpeggios I was confused by learn in box (in all 6 strings) or just root to root. I don't have to justificate myself.
    I'm learning in same time since few days.
    If I've posted question about Am7, only cause was mentionned in my book , We are all different, thank you for your point of vue.I'm not here to fight or criticate. God bless you.

Thank you so much for your anser and advise, i understand sound and sure Dom7#5 AND Dom7b5 it's the same cause their is just position , i've a writting too fast I learn basic theory in same time. It's a good website i'll be back if i have other questions ! thank you for your help

Thank you for you great job ! Thank you for your advise too. I'll watching your video tommorow .

Thank you to bring me to ordre and remind me the most important thing, PLAY
    Thank you so much Christianm77

User Info Menu

Thank you so much for your anser and advise, i understand sound and sure Dom7#5 AND Dom7b5 it's the same cause their is just position , i've a writting too fast I learn basic theory in same time. It's a good website i'll be back if i have other questions ! thank you for your help
    Dom7#4 and Dom7b5 are the same.

User Info Menu

@pow

I wish I was a player who could just play what I thought sounded right and actually have it sound right. I need to understand at an intellectual level for my fingers to relax and play. Sounds like you do too.

My theory Kung fu is way stronger than my ear and groove. But I can’t fight who I am.

That said, my thirty year theory quest has made me realize that theory is like the three blind men describing an elephant. Is it functional harmony, counterpoint, or relative movement? Scales or chords? -7b5 or -6? Is it a chord or a triad with a walking bass note?

For me, the only way to sort through the noise is to be inclusive. Each book is one blind man describing what he touched. Eventually you build up a picture from the points of overlap that starts to make sense to you. Few of them are “wrong” per se. Just seen from a perspective.

Hope your that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for share your experience. have a good day

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GTRMan
    Dom7#4 and Dom7b5 are the same.
    Not really, but from the point of view of guitar grips they may as well be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett
    My theory Kung fu is way stronger than my ear and groove. But I can’t fight who I am.
    Maybe this helps (it is something i do anyway).
    practice simple stuff to perfection.
    i have this pretty straightforward bluesprogression that i play along. It's in a minor. The longer i practice it. The better i get at improvising on it. I don't really need to think and can just play what i want to play. And the fun part is; it keeps getting better!

Great video.
    I already do this
    so thanks for this confirmation of type of learning

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Not really, but from the point of view of guitar grips they may as well be.

These are 4 note arpeggio fingerings

User Info Menu

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------4------------------3--------------4--------------3------------------
    -------2--5--------------2--5-----------2--6----------2--6----------------------
    ----3-----------------3---------------3-------------3------------------------------

-----------4-------------3--------------4------------3--------------4------------3----
    ----2--4----------2--4-----------1--5--------1--5----------1--4---------1--4-------
    -3--------------3--------------3------------3-------------3-------------3--------------

----------2--------------4-------------3---------1--3-----------------------------------
    ----1--4----------3--5----------3--5---------1------------------------------------------
    -3--------------3-------------3-------------3---------------------------------------------

And
    what the name of these G arpeggios you show ?
    Thank you , to named it for more clarity

User Info Menu

Gma7 ..... 1 3 5 7
    G7 ......... 1 3 5 b7
    Gma7+ ... 1 3 #5 7
    G7+ ....... 1 3 #5 b7
    Gma7b5 ... 1 3 b5 7
    G7b5 ........ 1 3 b5 b7
    GmMa7 ..... 1 b3 5 7
    Gm7 ......... 1 b3 5 b7
    GoMa7 ...... 1 b3 b5 7
    Gm7b5 ...... 1 b3 b5 b7
    Go7 ........... 1 b3 b5 bb7
    Gma7sus .... 1 4 5 7
    G7sus ........ 1 4 5 b7
    Gm7#5 ...... 1 b3 #5 b7

I presented it this way because it is easy to notice what stays the same and what changes.

Thank you, one precision the "+" it's for "dominante" or no ?

and the "O" ? (i'm novice)

thank you it's the "trick" i search for my learning

User Info Menu

and the "O" ? (i'm novice)
    You can replace that symbol with "Dim"
    Last edited by GTRMan; 09-21-2020 at 07:32 PM.

User Info Menu

+ is a symbol for augmented

o is
    a symbol for diminished.
    The typewriter "o" should be smaller and higher up.