The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

I like Randy Vincent’s the guitarist’s introduction to jazz. Very well thought out book. Zero BS.

I talk a little bit about why here;

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Hijaz Kar

C Db E F G Ab B

cool scale, no?

Two hijaz tetrachorda stuck together

There's ALWAYS a scale..
    That scale has three chromatic tones, so it’s not going to work for building harmonies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

That scale has three chromatic tones, so it’s not going to work for building harmonies.
    True, the common scales don't contain 3 consecutive half steps but
    all scales have notes, notes form intervals, intervals
    are the building blocks of chords.

C Db E F G Ab B

CEGB ......... Cma7
    DbFAbC ..... Dbma7
    EGBDb ....... Em6
    FAbCE ........ FmMa7
    GBDbF ....... G7b5
    AbCEG ....... Abma7+
    BDbFAb ...... Db7

That said, the culture that this scale derives from is primarily focused on the melodic content.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bako
    True, the common scales don't contain 3 consecutive half steps but
    all scales have notes, notes form intervals, intervals
    are the building blocks of chords.

C Db E F G Ab B

CEGB ......... Cma7
    DbFAbC ..... Dbma7
    EGBDb ....... Em6
    FAbCE ........ FmMa7
    GBDbF ....... G7b5
    AbCEG ....... Abma7+
    BDbFAb ...... Db7

That said, the culture that this scale derives from is primarily focused on the melodic content.
    and more....
    Emi6=A9=C#mi7b5=Eb7b9#5

C E G# =C aug..Eaug Abaug

realizing that "chords" can be constructed with any scale...they may NOT be harmonized..practical or sound very good (can be in context..)..but they are still chords..
    and melodic possibilities are there for the taking..as with all "scales"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jsaras

Why not? What's wrong with three consecutive semitones?

User Info Menu

Why not? What's wrong with three consecutive semitones?
    Write a ninth chord on the 1 chord. The -9 with the major 7 gives you three chromatics. It’s a sure path to unemployment. A -9 interval works fine with a -7 in the structure.

Also when you get to the vii chord, the 9th is a repeat of the root.

User Info Menu

Write a ninth chord on the 1 chord. The -9 with the major 7 gives you three chromatics. It’s a sure path to unemployment. A -9 interval works fine with a -7 in the structure.

unemployment...ahhh..not so fast..in fact there is enough harmonic material in this scale to create some interesting progressions...and melodic lines..
    hell..you might even get a two week gig at the local dive ...(I still love those dark smoky places !)

lets add some more harmonic possibilities from the Bako reply..

CMA7 = Eb13b9#5=(no rt) = AbMa7#5#9

DbMA7=E13b9#5=AMA7#5#9

G7b5=Db7b5

so now we have several more harmonic possible harmonic directions..using just the notes from the scale...

Im sure Bako could create a nice progression from all this

and yes I realize the non functional nature of the "harmonized" structure...but using what is available..in a non functional way..there are some possibilities

Scott Henderson and Ben Monder would have fun with this kind of stuff

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Some people think in a very closed way and have a very fixed aesthetic. Which is fine, most of the work out there is reproducing this or that thing that's familiarly to people. But that's not a reason not to explore a sound.

OTOH unemployment as a musician is less of a concern when no one has any gigs.

User Info Menu

Some people think in a very closed way and have a very fixed aesthetic. Which is fine, most of the work out there is reproducing this or that thing that's familiarly to people. But that's not a reason not to explore a sound.

OTOH unemployment as a musician is less of a concern when no one has any gigs.
    One can use any collection of intervals to form vertical structures, but that does not render those horizontal intervals a suitable scale upon which to build progressions. If you have the compositional technique, you can use all 12 notes vertically and not have any dissonances. That said, the issue with a vertical structure that has a -9 and a natural 7 is that it breaks the overtone series. A -3 and a -9 also break the overtone series. But if you want to prove me wrong, write a progression with those structures and see what it produces.

User Info Menu

Well it would not be a traditional tonal progression.

Overtone sequence - important for voicings, not as important for harmonic progressions as its sometimes held up to be.