Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Hello everyone . I hope all of the forum members are doing good .
    I need little help with this triad study . I never practice or study spread triads and the reason behind it , its lots of combinations of strings sets
    that's always confused me about where to start .
    please help me regarding this . I really love these open voicings
    many Thanks

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    spread triads can be challenging, but the beautiful sounds are certainly worth the work.

    The main problem to solve is dealing with the skipped string, if you play CEG from the D string, 10th fret, theres only one way to do it. CGE there are 2 . Fingerstyle, pick playing, scale length and string gauge can all effect what voicings are practical for the individual guitarist.

    Its hard to say where to start. Have you done much work with closed triads, (inversions, through scales, cycles)? Maybe try to replicate some of the processes you used to learn that material.

    Best wishes for exploring the fretboard!

    PK

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    I would start with inversions of major and minor chords on all string sets..and notice the voicings of the chords

    example G Maj moves to C maj on string set 6 4 3 E D G

    G/B
    frets notes string
    7 B E (low)
    5 G D
    7 D G

    CMaj
    8 C E (low)
    5 G D
    9 E G

    now move the third of the chords to make them minor...experiment with moving voices with these chords..its where harmony meets melody

    try and find the major and minor chords on the next string set A G B...then mix and match both string sets with a progression .. G C D or G D C minor G for example..

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    One possible place to jump in:

    Comparative approach.

    C Cm C+ Co Csus Cmab5

    Any 4 consecutive strings

    C G X E ... C G X Eb ... C G# X E ... C Gb X Eb ... C G X F ... C Gb X E

    or

    C X G E ... C X G Eb ... C X G# E ... C X Gb Eb ... C X G F ... C X Gb E

    Any 5 consecutive strings

    C X G X E ... C X G X Eb ... C X G# X E ... C X Gb X Eb ... C X G X F ... C X Gb X E

    Three different string groups, same content. Take note of small differences in balance and tone color.
    What is playable and what is less so will be immediately apparent.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Hi asad and the other forum members, longtime lurker signing in finally.

    One possible place to start with could be this instructional video focused on open triads by Dida Pelled and MMMC:

    Dida Pelled - The Open-Voiced Sound - Guitar Lesson

    I have it and am working on it. It starts from the basics and goes on from there. I especially like the fact that she stops periodically and encourages the viewer to practice a step for a time and then come back for more.

    So that could be one way to approach them in a guided way.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Hi I just recently talked to aone guy about it.. I just recorded it quickly maybe it would help


  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Good thread. Really interested in this as well.

    All ideas and linked resources much appreciated,

    Many thanks, Simon

  9. #8
    interesting idea

  10. #9
    Thanks man , I just watched a clip of the Dida video , looks interesting stuff . she is teaching the stuff with musical examples .

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Hi I just recently talked to aone guy about it.. I just recorded it quickly maybe it would help

    Thanks man . I like the lage lund idea you played

  12. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by jockster
    Good thread. Really interested in this as well.

    All ideas and linked resources much appreciated,

    Many thanks, Simon
    I found a very interesting site to practice triad stuff . Please try this .
    for the close triads , i found it very useful but for open triads it little complex because of too much fingering .
    Enrico Dell'Aquila: Chord cycles for guitar

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by asad
    I found a very interesting site to practice triad stuff . Please try this .
    for the close triads , i found it very useful but for open triads it little complex because of too much fingering .
    Enrico Dell'Aquila: Chord cycles for guitar

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Enrico’s app shows the “Mr Goodchord” cycles on the fingerboard. For more info, see the Mr Goodchord thread on this forum as well as Mick Goodrick’s Advancing Guitarist and his 3-volume almanac of voice leading (if you can find them—-but read through the forum thread first).

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    Enrico’s app shows the “Mr Goodchord” cycles on the fingerboard. For more info, see the Mr Goodchord thread on this forum as well as Mick Goodrick’s Advancing Guitarist and his 3-volume almanac of voice leading (if you can find them—-but read through the forum thread first).
    Thanks Man for letting me know about the mick goodrick thread . I have almanac and advancing guitarist and working through cycles close triads . I just started studying open triads so never played in cycles . First I want to learn the fingering then i will go through the thread you mentioned and Almanc book