The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 96

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Maybe that's what Carthy had in mind when he came up with the Scarborough Fair arrangement? It seems more likely, I'm not sure if he was terribly interested in jazz.
    Martin Carthy, along with John Renbourn and so many other folk guitarists in the early '60s was a big Davey Graham fan and Davey drew a lot of his repertoire from jazz pianists - Monk, Tristano, Timmons etc. Having had a couple of long conversations with MC, I know he has very eclectic tastes. When an interviewer asked in the early '90s what impressed him most out out of everything that he'd listened to recently, Martin replied' "Buddy Guy's, Damn Right, I Got The Blues"!

Someone mentioned Indian classical music as part of that mix and all those guys were familiar with Ravi Shankar long before George Harrison spread the word. In fact, Martin probably heard and saw Shankar before any other of his contemporaries. He attended Ravi's first recital in Britain at the Royal Festival Hall back in 1958 while still a schoolboy!
    Last edited by PMB; 05-21-2020 at 07:20 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Haha that sounds about right...

Well certainly when I was getting into Machaut, the Lady and the Unicorn piqued my interest because I already knew of Renbourn. He was influenced by David Munrow, which was the first performances of that music I heard. Sad I never got to meet him.

Munrow had a real vibey, almost jazz approach to that music. Of course, scholarship has moved on (inevitably) but those recordings still work as music. Big influence on me. I definitely think that was an influence on Robert Sadin's Machaut project years later (featuring Lionel Loueke, Brad Mehldau and others... Sadin also produced Wayne Shorter's Alegria...)
    I had a great music library near me where I grew up and remember discovering Machaut's Messe de Notre Dame, Munrow's Art of Courtly Love and Boulez's Pli Selon Pli on the same day! My girlfriend at the time (mid '70s) had an excellent vinyl box set, Electric Muse that was an overview of the whole British folk scene and it hipped me to all the players mentioned in this thread:

Musing about the Folk/Modal Jazz connection-r-1884922-1259049908-jpeg-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Martin Carthy, along with John Renbourn and so many other folk guitarists in the early '60s was a big Davey Graham fan and Davey drew a lot of his repertoire from jazz pianists - Monk, Tristano, Timmons etc. Having had a couple of long conversations with MC, I know he has very eclectic tastes. When an interviewer asked in the early '90s what impressed him most out out of everything that he'd listened to recently, Martin replied' "Buddy Guy's, Damn Right, I Got The Blues"!

Someone mentioned Indian classical music as part of that mix and all those guys were familiar with Ravi Shankar long before George Harrison spread the word. In fact, Martin probably heard and saw Shankar before any other of his contemporaries. He attended Ravi's first recital in Britain at the Royal Festival Hall back in 1958 while still a schoolboy!
    Synchonicity is a strange thing. A neighbour up a few doors is a good acoustic guitar player... what should he start playing today but... Angie! Of course :-)

cool, That's great I don't know much about Carthy's taste, he seemed like a very 'legit' figure somehow. It seems that as a rule these great folk musicians were and are super open minded. Perhaps us jazzers could learn a lesson :-)

User Info Menu

It seems that as a rule these great folk musicians were and are super open minded. Perhaps us jazzers could learn a lesson :-)
    Jazzers are plenty open minded, it's seems to be more a jazz GUITARIST problem.

User Info Menu

A lot of those guys were into Mingus too, e.g. there are cover versions by Renbourn, Bert Jansch and Davy Graham. Probably it was the blues/gospel influences that appealed to them.

A lot of them (including Martin Carthy, surprisingly) got started on guitar after hearing Lonnie Donegan and skiffle, seems funny now.

User Info Menu

Are there any Folk song progressions, that are similar to modern Modal songs in structure. Similar to using stacks of 4ths, vamps on a few chords, drones notes etc.

User Info Menu

the usa had their own folk-jazz connection..via the great world pacific label...a 50's/60's LA record company that released jazz, world music (i.e. north indian classical, oud music etc) and folky stuff...the label owners managed the folk rock group-the byrds-..their hit 8 miles high was based on them listening to coltrane w dolphy (india) and ravi shankar in their tour van

joe pass even had 12 string acoustic recordings!!

in nyc folk and jazz were intermingled as well...bill lee the great jazz bassist and composer (spikes dad) is on tons of early folk music records and hits (dylan, gordon lightfoot, ian & sylvia etc etc)...billy higgins played with sandy bull on his pre-renbourn guitar fusion records...renbourn copped much of bulls methods...inc using trem guitar on classical pieces (lady and the unicorn lp)

producer thom wilson who started in the jazz scene..verve etc..worked with lou reeds velvet underground and early zappa

i never cared about namesake/genre barriers..it only separates rather than unites

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    A lot of those guys were into Mingus too, e.g. there are cover versions by Renbourn, Bert Jansch and Davy Graham. Probably it was the blues/gospel influences that appealed to them.

A lot of them (including Martin Carthy, surprisingly) got started on guitar after hearing Lonnie Donegan and skiffle, seems funny now.
    Mingus was a huge influence. Pentangle covered Haitian Fight Song, Better Git It In You Soul and Goodbye Pork Pie Hat. GPPH has been a particular fave outside the British folk scene as well - John McLaughlin, Jeff Beck and Andy Summers (who released a whole album of Mingus compositions) have all recorded versions of the tune.

User Info Menu

Mingus was a huge influence. Pentangle covered Haitian Fight Song, Better Git It In You Soul and Goodbye Pork Pie Hat. GPPH has been a particular fave outside the British folk scene as well - John McLaughlin, Jeff Beck and Andy Summers (who released a whole album of Mingus compositions) have all recorded versions of the tune.
    mingus influence had already appeared for beck early on (spring 1966!)... on the classic yardbirds roger the engineer lp...yardbirds chris drejas cover sketches includes politician faubus caricature...which alludes to mingus' biting composition fables of faubus...with his great dolphy quartet on charles mingus presents charles mingus...

lower left of lpMusing about the Folk/Modal Jazz connection-yardbirds_roger_b-jpg

they were aware

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    mingus influence had already appeared for beck early on (spring 1966!)... on the classic yardbirds roger the engineer lp...yardbirds chris drejas cover sketches includes politician faubus caricature...which alludes to mingus' biting composition fables of faubus...with his great dolphy quartet on charles mingus presents charles mingus...

lower left of lpMusing about the Folk/Modal Jazz connection-yardbirds_roger_b-jpg

they were aware

cheers
    Every guitar player working in London around the mid-'60s was also aware of Davey Graham who had recorded the Mingus tune, Better Git It In Your Soul in 1964 (it appeared the next year as the final track on Graham's seminal Folk, Blues & Beyond album). That may have been the initial connection to Mingus for many of them. Of course, Beck's friend and fellow Yardbird, Jimmy Page was a DG devotee, 'borrowing' Davey's version of She Moved Though The Fair for his instrumental, White Summer.

User Info Menu

I remember seeing Steve Winwood at Shoreline in the mid 80s. I loved his Arc of A Diver era and knew he had been in Traffic and Blind Faith but didn’t realize what an incredible keyboardist he was. He played a lot of Moog in that show, and it was mesmerizing every time he touched the keys.
    Last edited by lukmanohnz; 05-24-2020 at 01:05 AM.

User Info Menu

for jazz fans..particularly more fusiony weather report era lovers..check out traffic-when the eagle flies-...a bit late in the traffic discography, but one of their best...(my fave along with john barleycorn)...you can clearly hear zawinul influence in winwoods playing, and rosko gee brings some great electric bass ala alphonso johnson, fernando saunders & jaco to the table...

a winwood tour de force..keys (including mellotron!) and vocals...masterful

Musing about the Folk/Modal Jazz connection-large-4853m7us2s93-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

cheers
    Page and Clapton weren't exactly thrilled with jazz, but Page took a few lessons from Johnny Mac. Clapton just plain hated jazz.

User Info Menu

tho, jeff becks classic cover of mingus' requiem for lester young- goodbye pork pie hat- was mostly inspired by john mclaughlins cover..not the original mingus...it was the opening track of mclaughlins early lp-my goals beyond

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Page and Clapton weren't exactly thrilled with jazz, but Page took a few lessons from Johnny Mac. Clapton just plain hated jazz.

its a bit strange...Eric playing with Bruce & Baker..both considered jazz players,,,and Claptons extended solos with Cream..sure could have been influenced by some of Coltranes "sheets of sound"

Progressive rock groups..(have trouble with that label..its pretty far away from rock in any manner) put a bit of restraint and disapline on that amazing wild energy...King Crimson and soft machine come to mind...

User Info Menu

Not too sure where you got the idea that Clapton hated jazz. Here's an excerpt from a 2006 JazzTimes interview:

In photos from 1964 with your first band of note, the Yardbirds, you wore a sharp suit with a skinny tie that strongly evoked the way the Modern Jazz Quartet used to look on their Atlantic Records album covers. Was your fashion sense at the time influenced by jazz?

That was the idea then. My state of attire in those days was Ivy League, and I was a big jazz fan. And buying albums by Lee Morgan and John Coltrane, and seeing some of the album covers and the way those guys got dressed up on them was very powerful for me.

Nathan East, your longtime bassist, has told me that you are a fan, as you just mentioned, of Coltrane and Morgan, as well as of Thelonious Monk. But you’ve rarely discussed the music’s impact on you, perhaps because no one’s asked. How do you feel jazz has shaped the music you make, directly or indirectly?

Growing up, I was listening to them, blues and jazz, at the same time. I remember going into a record store in Richmond, outside London, and they only had blues and jazz, no pop records at all. So I’d be buying an acoustic blues album by John Lee Hooker, alongside albums by Monk or Clifford Brown. And, to me, listening to it, I couldn’t actually make any distinction between the two things. I had no real idea that there was supposed to be any division between the two things.

And the way the music scene existed [in England]; people would play in the same clubs. Ronnie Scott’s [a jazz club in London] would have Rahsaan Roland Kirk one week, and then Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee the following week. So it seemed like the same tree to me, or, rather, it sounded like different branches on the same tree.

Could you talk about the musical impact of jazz on your own playing? Obviously, you couldn’t run the changes the way Coltrane did on the saxophone. But how did hearing him influence what you did on guitar?

I think just the atmosphere and the spontaneity, the creativity of it, was kind of what we drew from when we got onstage in Cream, [with] a lot of that free-form stuff, although it was still pretty limited in its tonality. And everything I was playing was only coming from the blues scale and moving out of blues and rock phrasing. But the atmosphere and intention was to try and escape [the confines of blues and rock]. And a lot of that came out of the listening I did to early Coltrane.

User Info Menu

Clapton’s a big Kurt Rosenwinkel fan

User Info Menu

Jimmy Page does talk about Django.... he said that he felt that Django was an electric player on acoustic, trying to play feedback sounds etc. I can dig it.

User Info Menu

Clapton’s a big Kurt Rosenwinkel fan
    ...and Kurt recorded Self Portrait in Three Colours by Mingus for his new album, "Angels Around"!

User Info Menu

In one book on British Jazz in the 60s I read, Stevie Winwood was actually perceived in the UK as being originally a jazz musician, who switched over to R&B and rock, when he joined The Spencer Davis Group. His father was a p/t jazz musician, and Winwood used to play piano, and his brother Muff played drums in clubs, when they were playing in their father's jazz band when they were still in their early teens....
    Thanks for the insight. I never knew much about Stevie Winwood's background. Loved Traffic. Great band. Their best stuff still sounds first rate.

User Info Menu

Not too sure where you got the idea that Clapton hated jazz. Here's an excerpt from a 2006 JazzTimes interview:

In photos from 1964 with your first band of note, the Yardbirds, you wore a sharp suit with a skinny tie that strongly evoked the way the Modern Jazz Quartet used to look on their Atlantic Records album covers. Was your fashion sense at the time influenced by jazz?

That was the idea then. My state of attire in those days was Ivy League, and I was a big jazz fan. And buying albums by Lee Morgan and John Coltrane, and seeing some of the album covers and the way those guys got dressed up on them was very powerful for me.

Nathan East, your longtime bassist, has told me that you are a fan, as you just mentioned, of Coltrane and Morgan, as well as of Thelonious Monk. But you’ve rarely discussed the music’s impact on you, perhaps because no one’s asked. How do you feel jazz has shaped the music you make, directly or indirectly?

Growing up, I was listening to them, blues and jazz, at the same time. I remember going into a record store in Richmond, outside London, and they only had blues and jazz, no pop records at all. So I’d be buying an acoustic blues album by John Lee Hooker, alongside albums by Monk or Clifford Brown. And, to me, listening to it, I couldn’t actually make any distinction between the two things. I had no real idea that there was supposed to be any division between the two things.

And the way the music scene existed [in England]; people would play in the same clubs. Ronnie Scott’s [a jazz club in London] would have Rahsaan Roland Kirk one week, and then Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee the following week. So it seemed like the same tree to me, or, rather, it sounded like different branches on the same tree.

Could you talk about the musical impact of jazz on your own playing? Obviously, you couldn’t run the changes the way Coltrane did on the saxophone. But how did hearing him influence what you did on guitar?

I think just the atmosphere and the spontaneity, the creativity of it, was kind of what we drew from when we got onstage in Cream, [with] a lot of that free-form stuff, although it was still pretty limited in its tonality. And everything I was playing was only coming from the blues scale and moving out of blues and rock phrasing. But the atmosphere and intention was to try and escape [the confines of blues and rock]. And a lot of that came out of the listening I did to early Coltrane.

Cream lasted for only a year or two. Clapton broke it up because he hated that type of free-form stuff. He said it in this interview:
    “All during Cream I was riding high on the ‘Clapton is God’ myth that had been started up. I was flying high on an ego trip; I was sure I was the best thing happening that was popular. Then we got our first kind of bad review, which was in Rolling Stone. “The magazine ran an interview with us in which we were really praising ourselves, and it was followed by a review that said how boring and repetitious our performance had been. And it was true! The ring of truth had just knocked me backward; I was in a restaurant, and I fainted. And after I woke up, I immediately decided that that was the end of the band.”
    He looked upon jazz as boring BS that was just stroking the soloists ego. When you're interviewed by Jazz Times, I don't think he'd say what he really thinks about jazz. Listen to his unplugged version of "Layla" where he tries to play jazzy; it's pitiful!

User Info Menu

Not sure I see how that follows. I don't see a contradiction.

I'm a jazz musician, and I think Clapton is right. I love the album stuff, such great sounding records, crafted gems... but live .. it is repetitious.

It's unquestionable that Clapton saw Cream as an artistic failure, because of what he did afterwards - total changes of direction. That doesn't mean that he didn't understand the idea of what they were trying to achieve, or perhaps realise that he didn't have the resources to (in his opinion) make it work, while at the same time appreciating those who did (such as Trane.)

Needless to say, it's also possible to like some jazz and not all jazz. For example, I know plenty of people who like tight, swinging bop and Blue Note cuts and can't stand open modal vamps, and vice versa.

User Info Menu

Not sure I see how that follows. I don't see a contradiction.

I'm a jazz musician, and I think Clapton is right. I love the album stuff, such great sounding records, crafted gems... but live .. it is repetitious.

It's unquestionable that Clapton saw Cream as an artistic failure, because of what he did afterwards - total changes of direction. That doesn't mean that he didn't understand the idea of what they were trying to achieve, or perhaps realise that he didn't have the resources to (in his opinion) make it work, while at the same time appreciating those who did (such as Trane.)

Needless to say, it's also possible to like some jazz and not all jazz. For example, I know plenty of people who like tight, swinging bop and Blue Note cuts and can't stand open modal vamps, and vice versa.
    Clapton came out and said that jazz musicians are just wanking off when they improvise. He's a great blues player and songwriter, but he thinks jazz improvisation is garbage. He turned away from improvisational music of any kind, and started doing things like "Wonderful Tonight"
    If that's not enough, I'll bring up his speech supporting Enoch Powell...

joelf Guest
    Cream started out fine, the first few records. Good tunes, too. They quickly became the epitome of boring self-indulgence and anti-listening. Sort of inevitable with egos that size and all the 'perks' of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. Few can withstand that kind of hagiography w/o at least some damage.

I'd like to go on record as saying I can't think of a more overrated musician than Ginger Baker. The same dynamic level all the time: bang or thud. Called himself a 'jazz drummer'. Not in a world with Vernell Fournier, who had a touch, and sensitivity. I don't care how different groups are, music is music---or ain't.

Yeah, Rollins and Trane were self-indulgent---even selfish. But they had a lot to say to justify those long solos. And compared to an arena rock band like Cream? Are you kidding? Also, they should not be blamed for the excesses their less gifted apers, who didn't have the early discipline of playing short in the late 78 and early 33 RPM era---or, in many cases of fitting into a band, a section.These people are a large part of why jazz is shunned---and it's understandable.

Clapton is cool. Greenie was my boy...
    Last edited by joelf; 05-24-2020 at 09:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Clapton came out and said that jazz musicians are just wanking off when they improvise. He's a great blues player and songwriter, but he thinks jazz improvisation is garbage. He turned away from improvisational music of any kind, and started doing things like "Wonderful Tonight"
    If that's not enough, I'll bring up his speech supporting Enoch Powell...
    Yeah, I have relatively little respect for Clapton as a human, and as far as I’m aware he’s never apologised for his racist rant in the 70s.... I don’t know if this is well known stateside.

otoh I’m not sure what relevance this has for Clapton’s like or dislike for jazz.... we can only really go on the things he said which appear contradictory. So, dunno.