The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Im a beginner working on playing through these changes and have a few exercises with them, anyone know a few easier standards that follow this progression without many additional changes?

thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Might be hard to find exact matches but lots of tunes use some of those moves. Wouldn't hurt to try some that have a little more. Here are two, simple arrangements, slow, and representing major and minor.

c'est si bon -

angel eyes -

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    Im a beginner working on playing through these changes and have a few exercises with them, anyone know a few easier standards that follow this progression without many additional changes?

thanks
    That's a pretty long progression. (Jazzers will will simply call that V7/vi a "III7" BTW. Might help with the conversation.)

Hard to find exact matches for anything that long, but eventually it might be really helpful to look at similar variations as well. The variations add a lot to think about hearing and seeing as well. For example, Autumnleaves has this exact progression, if you simply put a bracket around the [I - IV], viewing them as one entity. There are a lot of other chants that have only one or 2° of separation from Autumnleaves, once you get there. Fly me to the moon etc...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    That's a pretty long progression. (Jazzers will will simply call that V7/vi a "III7" BTW. Might help with the conversation.)

Hard to find exact matches for anything that long, but eventually it might be really helpful to look at similar variations as well. The variations add a lot to think about hearing and seeing as well. For example, Autumnleaves has this exact progression, if you simply put a bracket around the [I - IV], viewing them as one entity. There are a lot of other chants that have only one or 2° of separation from Autumnleaves, once you get there. Fly me to the moon etc...
    I assumed the OP was referring to 2 different progressions but yea, if only 1, finding an exact match leaves me clueless.

(but I did find songs that had the 1st, and other songs that had the 2nd).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    I assumed the OP was referring to 2 different progressions but yea, if only 1, finding an exact match leaves me clueless.

(but I did find songs that had the 1st, and other songs that had the 2nd).
    I say just use a looper and make your own and jam over that!

Change the order and you get other variations as well. If you start on the I, you get what Jerry Coker et al would call "the confirmation sequence" in their book: hearing the changes.

EDIT: Sorry. Didn't fully look at this . It's more of a variation on the original with Dom II7 and I7... Nevermind...

Anyway, autumn leaves changes and subtle variations are kind of their own thing in jazz anyway. Should be able to recognize them in different orders etc.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 05-18-2020 at 03:59 PM.

Cool, thanks for the responses. Some good stuff to work on there

User Info Menu

Check out Ralph Patt’s page of tunes which match various progressions:

The Tonal Centers Page

User Info Menu

Autumn Leaves