The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

G'day friends,
    Chords for this beautiful tune are marked throughout the sheet Music,except for the very first 4 bars..A 'pre-intro '? Would the passage of these 4 bars have a name ?
    Could anyone help me with the chord names ?
    Regards from OZ .. Charlie
    Attached Images Attached Images An intro to the intro .. Chords-000_0387-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks like that section is only meant for the piano, those are fancy piano chords with close voicings, pedal bass notes etc. Not really possible to play on the guitar as written. Ignoring the low sustained Bb in the last 3 bars, some sort of approximation of those chords on the guitar might be:

Eb maj
    G min (D bass)
    G maj (b9)
    Ab min6
    Eb maj (G bass)
    Gb min6
    F min7 (or F min11)
    Bb7

I assume the incorrectly positioned natural in bar 2 is intended for the B since they repeat it.

I don’t know what you call this - an intro to the verse maybe?

User Info Menu

Thanks for your labours Graham,I'll try those out today.
    This is a pretty hard tune to play and commit to memory ,with a long intro,verses and a bridge and now an extra bit !! ... I've nearly got it though and really like this song.Thanks again.
    P.S. I bought Ewan McKenzies' Crocker Guitar a few years ago and treasure it greatly .. I think of him often,a great man ,sorely missed.

User Info Menu

If that 4-bar intro is too hard, I would probably just skip it and start at the verse. I doubt many people would know the difference (I wouldn’t, I’ve never even heard the verse before).

User Info Menu

Cheers Graham ... here's Rod the Mod singing it ... It's a version I like ..

User Info Menu

Personally, I like this version better (I even like Vera Lynn's original version better, to tell the truth); it swings much more, for me. And I would love to have John Colianni as an accompanist:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scout
    G'day friends,
    Chords for this beautiful tune are marked throughout the sheet Music,except for the very first 4 bars..A 'pre-intro '? Would the passage of these 4 bars have a name?
    Regards from OZ .. Charlie
    Those 4 bars would actually be called "the intro." What you are thinking is the intro is called the verse, followed by the chorus, and then the bridge.

Those classic songs have slightly different nomenclature than some may be used to. What some might think of as an intro (and the part of many of these songs that people may never hear) is actually the verse. The part of the song that people might think of as the verse is actually the chorus, and then the middle part is the bridge, going back to the chorus.

What can confusing is that there is often a repeat of the chorus with different words.

The song that always is the strangest for these terms is "Mountain Greenery." There is a verse, followed by 2 different choruses, followed by the bridge and 3rd chorus; then the whole thing repeats, with a new 2nd verse, followed by a two more choruses, a bridge, and a final chorus.

I actually have started writing verses to some of these American Songbook standards that didn't have one; it's a fun project.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Looks like that section is only meant for the piano, those are fancy piano chords with close voicings, pedal bass notes etc. Not really possible to play on the guitar as written. Ignoring the low sustained Bb in the last 3 bars, some sort of approximation of those chords on the guitar might be:

Eb maj
    G min (D bass)
    G maj (b9)
    Ab min6
    Eb maj (G bass)
    Gb min6
    F min7 (or F min11)
    Bb7

I assume the incorrectly positioned natural in bar 2 is intended for the B since they repeat it.

I don’t know what you call this - an intro to the verse maybe?
    The second bar is actually a Bb13(b9). Don’t be fooled by the high melodic line in the bass clef. The second beat plays the low Bb which is the tonic.
    The first bar could be simplified down to Eb going to Ebma7. Harmonically that makes more sense.

User Info Menu

All that makes sense Ukena ... in a confusing kind of way :-) .. thanks for your input mate ..

User Info Menu

.... and thanks to you as well Mark ..
    Would you be able to write for me, the chord shapes for those first 4 bars please ? .. eg. in this type of way 3322xx ..
    Cheers for now .. Charlie .

User Info Menu

If you’re just comping through the chords without trying to include the melody on top try this.
    X65343
    X65333

6x6433

X6888x
    X9.11.8.10.x

X8.10.89x
    6x678x

User Info Menu

That's just what I'm after Mark ... perfect ..
    Thank you so much and best regards from Australia .. Charlie .

( You sure must have long fingers Mark :-) ...no way I could get those shapes .. might just be easier to leave out the intro to the intro :-) thanks again.
    Last edited by scout; 04-13-2020 at 05:03 AM.

User Info Menu

I bought a bunch of sheet music in the late '50's and early '60's. I'd always skip the intros and start at the verse or chorus. When I started playing in a big band eighteen years ago I just automatically started playing at "A" after the downbeat. Took me several embarrassing false starts to remember that the intro was part of the chart.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

We live and learn mate ....

User Info Menu

Here’s an instrumental version I like (no intro/verse of course). Nice to hear guitar accompaniment too.

User Info Menu

Joe Cohn is a badass

User Info Menu

Yes I think they do a monster version of Cherokee on that record too.

User Info Menu

Here it is. Joe Cohn takes a solo at 4:20.

User Info Menu

Of course Dexter Gordon did a nice version of ‘Nightingale’, first one I heard.

User Info Menu

I have vocals by Mel, Frank, Nat , Brook Benton and this slightly up-tempo treatment by Bobby Darin . Bobby could actually swing !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gtrplrfla
    Bobby could actually swing!
    He could also play quite a number of instruments, including drums. He wrote many of the arrangements to songs he recorded (including Beyond the Sea).

For those who might be interested, Beyond the Sea was originally La Mer by Charles Trenet, and it was really kind of a sonic poem, with lyrics about the moods of the sea. Bing Crosby covered it (in French). If I remember correctly, Jack Lawrence was asked to translate it into english, but he didn't understand french, so he wrote the song as a love song, completely changing the song's story.

User Info Menu

Since we're posting versions....

User Info Menu

Liked it ... a very talented man

User Info Menu

Thanks Ragman,I should have made it clear ... I'm playing the song on Guitar ..
    I'll print those sheets .

User Info Menu

Where's those sheets ? Where'd they go Ragman ???
    Some issue with copyright maybe ?