The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

G'day Friends,
    Just wondering,would there be a substitute/alternative progression that would sound nice for the line cliche Em .. E minor/major 7 .. Em 7 ..Em6 ?
    My chord chart shows this progression in the song Nature Boy .. where the vocals go (they say he wandered) "Very far,Very far,over land and Sea" .
    Would anyone know of some other nice chords for this part of the song please ?
    Thanks and regards from OZ .. Charlie.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scout
    G'day Friends,
    Just wondering, would there be a substitute/alternative progression that would sound nice for the line cliche Em .. E minor/major 7 .. Em 7 ..Em6 ?
    My chord chart shows this progression in the song Nature Boy .. where the vocals go (they say he wandered) "Very far,Very far, over land and Sea" .
    Would anyone know of some other nice chords for this part of the song please ?
    Thanks and regards from OZ .. Charlie.
    Try Em, B7#5, Em7, A7. It's the same progression really but with movement in the bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Try Em, B7#5, Em7, A7. It's the same progression really but with movement in the bass.
    yep. donny hathaway style:

x7998x
    x6757x
    x5545x
    x4545x

User Info Menu

Yes, you can do tonic chord, diminished 7 from the 7th, third inversion of the tonic chord from the b7, then diminished 7 again from the 6th.

User Info Menu

Em D#o7 Dm6/9 A7/C#

depending on the melody

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Em D#o7 Dm6/9 A7/C#

depending on the melody
    see post #3

edit: oh, you have dm69 there. yeah, i guess you could call it that. to me it's em7/D.

User Info Menu

Those are your basic options, scout: keep the tonic in the bass per the original post, place the descending line in the bass (Donny Hathaway-style) or play it as a i, V, i, IV progression (Em, B7#5, Em7, A7). All useable although I went with the last alternative in this instance as the descending line is already placed in the melody.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    see post #3

edit: oh, you have dm69 there. yeah, i guess you could call it that. to me it's em7/D.
    How insensitive of you to comment

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    How insensitive of you to comment
    so the love affair is over?

User Info Menu

Great to get all those replies folks .. very much appreciated... and thank you
    Off now to try them all ..what a great song this is .

User Info Menu

Or

Em7 --------- x7978x
    Eb+ --------- x6544x
    G/D --------- x5543x
    C#m7b5 ---- x4545x

User Info Menu

Cheers Ragman ..
    I like the way your chord shapes are are written... much easier for us 'theory challenged individuals' to understand
    Thanks mate .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Or

Em7 --------- x7978x
    Eb+ --------- x6544x
    G/D --------- x5543x
    C#m7b5 ---- x4545x
    You can also go upwards.
    There are many variations, but basically:

x4545x;
    x6757x,
    x7978x
    x109912x

You can put open low E below all above,
    or add "/ #bX" for chromatic descending bass line,
    or change m7b5 to dim7 or dim6,
    or ...,

Also you can play all above at different places on the neck, stay closer to one position ....

User Info Menu

Love your work Vladan .. thanks mate ..