The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 104 of 104

User Info Menu

Great thread.
    I’m in another intense Barney phase, and I was reminded of Sonny Rollins’ “Contemporary Leaders”. Kessel is not in top form as a soloist (although he’s still great) but it’s a textbook in comping. All the more remarkable since in most tunes he was sharing duties with Hampton Hawes on piano.

This is a good example

And now off to listen to all your great recommendations!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hmmmm, when I think of masterful comping by a guitarist I immediately hear Jim Hall with Bill Evans (or Jimmy Guiffre or Rollins) and Ed Bickert with Paul Desmond - old school for sure but never "old" as in "not fresh, stale, out-dated" .....

User Info Menu

Yea.. still dig Kessel. And great comping... 1958. The harmonic thing... or the mixing of harmonic organization has improved. But his use of space and organization of (form) and his interaction etc... are still much better than most guitar players. Just wish his guitar had better intonation. Sonny's was perfect as always.
    Thanks for reminding and the post.

User Info Menu

I tend to agree that Jim Hall and Ed Bickert are the gold standards. A few more:

- I love the way John Scofield comps behind Joe Lovano, for instance:

The record of Miles tunes he did with Joe Henderson is also really great.

- John Pisano behind Joe Pass on For Django
    - Steve Masakowski
    (it's to hard find examples of him comping behind a soloist, since is records are mainly him in a trio and/or chord melody).

John