The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 60 of 60

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I can safely say I've never used a capo on a jazz tune... :-)

No law against it, though
    Me neither...until recently. But it's one of those things you'd only do with certain songs. At least for me. But, yeah, a capo is not something you see used in jazz. You see it occasionally in blues though. Albert Collins and Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown come to mind. And maybe some acoustic blues players.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oh, blues too, that's okay. I don't know many players who do it, though. Not with electric guitars anyway.

User Info Menu

I thought I had seen all the JLC videos. I had not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Oh, blues too, that's okay. I don't know many players who do it, though. Not with electric guitars anyway.
    i use capos almost all the time, on all my guitars, and almost always on the 2nd fret...

because i want the lowest possible playable action, and prefer fingerboards to be as totally-straight as possible...it's totally a matter of ergonomics

were it up to me, all guitars would have zero frets instead of nuts, but it aint up to me, thus the capo.

User Info Menu

It's easy enough to install a Zero-Glide nut, if you have basic skills. It replaces the standard nut with a zero fret. I have them on a couple of instruments, and they work well for me. It does take some work to get one down to the exact length and width, and properly polished, but IMO it's worth it. I like a zero fret, but they got a bad name through being used on cheap instruments back in the day, so they aren't often seen now, but they make a lot of sense, especially if you use a lot of open strings while playing. They're available from StewMac, WD Music, ebay, and lots of other places.

User Info Menu

This is an impressive jazz version of an old hit.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

We had Nirvana songs jazzed up here. Copy of a copy. But good.

joelf Guest
    I arranged and recorded a slow blues rendition of Folsom Prison Blues with some hits and send-offs derived from Cash's original arrangement. It was a duet with Sheryl Bailey. Came out pretty well.

The CD is called Joel Fass and Friends Jam for Eddie Diehl, and has several tracks of much variety with Sheryl and the rest with Ray Macchiarolla, a wonderfully swinging thumb player, one solo piece by yours truly and concludes with Eddie stretching out and sounding great on Charlie Parker's Buzzy in a trio with Bill Takas, bass and Bob Dorough, piano. (Performed live at Zinno, NYC, 1983).

Interested in purchasing it? Please PM me...

User Info Menu

Bruce Forman, a jazz guitarist had/has a group called Cow Bop.

Cow Bop